Game 11—Bowling Green Falcons

Dr Z

No, TC5 was definitely a QB recruit @ Pitt.  He played locally @ K.e.nt Roosevelt & put up amazing statistics in high school, but...

I saw him play a couple of times and I can honestly say I wasn't overwhelmed.  He was clearly a physical specimen & a superior athlete.  But I wasn't impressed with either his throwing accuracy or his decision making - in high school where the game is played much more slowly.  Again, he did put up fantastic stats, but his 4-star rating must have been due to potential?

On a handful of occasions I remember thinking, "Oooh, that'd get picked off in college..." "Oooh, that'd get picked in college..." "Oooh, that'd get picked in college..."

What I don't understand is how I can see that, but men who know so much more about football than I do & have so much more experience than I do thought/think differently.

Edit: I think the Zips coaching staff was hoping against hope that they had caught lightning in a bottle with TC5.  It just really hasn't worked out that way.  Hopefully we can use him differently next year, i.e., position change. 

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

I hate to say it, but I thought Tyrell Goodman looked just as good, if not better than TC5.  If I'm Bowden, I'm giving TG2 all the 1st-team reps @ QB over these next 2 weeks to get him ready to go -vs- Ohio.  

I'd tell Woody he's done for the year & to just concentrate on getting healthy.

Edit: TG2 was an excellent high school QB, btw.  I believe he was the POtY in the state of New York his senior year.  Idk why the coaches could see TG2, while a great athlete, wasn't a D-1 level QB but weren't able to see that w/ TC5.  TG2 & TC5 are virtual carbon copies.

Edit 2: TG2 already has better chemistry w/ Send It In Jerome than TC5 does.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, K92 said:

Because stars don't matter.

So, if you look at Akron and Alabama next Spring after signing day, it's a total guess as to who really has the better group of recruits?

Saying that the star ratings are wrong in many cases is a fair statement.  It would be utterly ridiculous to say that the rating system means nothing.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

32 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

So, if you look at Akron and Alabama next Spring after signing day, it's a total guess as to who really has the better group of recruits?

Saying that the star ratings are wrong in many cases is a fair statement.  It would be utterly ridiculous to say that the rating system means nothing.  

Have you ever read any of my posts on recruiting?

20 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I hate to say it, but I thought Tyrell Goodman looked just as good, if not better than TC5.  If I'm Bowden, I'm giving TG2 all the 1st-team reps @ QB over these next 2 weeks to get him ready to go -vs- Ohio.  

I'd tell Woody he's done for the year & to just concentrate on getting healthy.

Edit: TG2 was an excellent high school QB, btw.  I believe he was the POtY in the state of New York his senior year.  Idk why the coaches could see TG2, while a great athlete, wasn't a D-1 level QB but weren't able to see that w/ TC5.  TG2 & TC5 are virtual carbon copies.

Edit 2: TG2 already has better chemistry w/ Send It In Jerome than TC5 does.

I tend to agree with you and the chemistry was pretty good for a guy who had never taken a rep. I think it also introduces the element of the unknown vs. Ohio. If for some reason Tommy is miraculously better, you go with him, otherwise, I would give Goodman a shot, at least in practice - don't try too many things. Also try some trick plays out of the backfield to help us out.

The defense that played in the second half at least, finally, showed some promise.

I would say the door is open for Kato Nelso to compete in camp.

Play calling plays a big factor I'd say. Chapman's strengths aren't the same as Woodson's yet Akron OC is stubborn in not wanting to alter his game plan to fit the strengths of his QB. With Chapman in they should do more QB draws, bubble screens, and higher percentage passes over the middle of the field. Instead they still try to dial up the long ball even though that's not his strength.

That brings me to another point. Am I the only one that thinks Milwee needs to go?

Milwee is out of his depth and should be replaced. My concern is that Bowden is so loyal to him that he will not make the tough call to reassign or fire him. Milwee is too predictable. He has forgotten the TE. He also has a passion for the deep ball rather than taking what the defense gives. I believe that replacing the OC is the single biggest improvement the Zips can make for next year.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2016 at 11:21 PM, 72 Roo said:

Play calling plays a big factor I'd say. Chapman's strengths aren't the same as Woodson's yet Akron OC is stubborn in not wanting to alter his game plan to fit the strengths of his QB. With Chapman in they should do more QB draws, bubble screens, and higher percentage passes over the middle of the field. Instead they still try to dial up the long ball even though that's not his strength.

That brings me to another point. Am I the only one that thinks Milwee needs to go?

Milwee is out of his depth and should be replaced. My concern is that Bowden is so loyal to him that he will not make the tough call to reassign or fire him. Milwee is too predictable. He has forgotten the TE. He also has a passion for the deep ball rather than taking what the defense gives. I believe that replacing the OC is the single biggest improvement the Zips can make for next year.

So where is the Head Coach in all this?

On 11/10/2016 at 4:50 PM, Blue & Gold said:

No, TC5 was definitely a QB recruit @ Pitt.  He played locally @ K.e.nt Roosevelt & put up amazing statistics in high school, but...

I saw him play a couple of times and I can honestly say I wasn't overwhelmed.  He was clearly a physical specimen & a superior athlete.  But I wasn't impressed with either his throwing accuracy or his decision making - in high school where the game is played much more slowly.  Again, he did put up fantastic stats, but his 4-star rating must have been due to potential?

On a handful of occasions I remember thinking, "Oooh, that'd get picked off in college..." "Oooh, that'd get picked in college..." "Oooh, that'd get picked in college..."

What I don't understand is how I can see that, but men who know so much more about football than I do & have so much more experience than I do thought/think differently.

Edit: I think the Zips coaching staff was hoping against hope that they had caught lightning in a bottle with TC5.  It just really hasn't worked out that way.  Hopefully we can use him differently next year, i.e., position change. 

My bad, my recollection was incorrect.

• 1 month later...