2016-17 Opponents Discussion

zippyfan34

Today there are a couple solid performances from future foes.

American lost to #25 Maryland 56-62.  They had the lead with 6 minutes left and were within 3 with about a minute left.

Eastern going to double OT at Pitt but have 3 guys fouled out including Bond and Thompson.

Ball State taken it to St Louis at their place 43-19 at half.

• Like 1

Watched the Eastern / Pitt game and came away extremely impressed with Eastern. A couple of times they looked like they may be headed for a DD loss but they stay composed and battled until the end of 2 OTs with less than their starting 5 on the floor as you mentioned. Everybody is back and have length and depth. Thompson has potential NBA talent and will only get better if his attitude allows for it. They will be a very tough out for anybody in our conference.

It's really early. Hard to tell how much rust or getting use to play with new teammates plays a factor in these games. EMU I think could be good mostly based upon how they finished last season and what they have returning this season. I'm still not buying into American yet at least.

Edited by kreed5120

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Ohio beats Georgia Tech, @ Georgia Tech.

No, please don't post that.  There's too many people here who think that it's senseless for us to make long road trips to play high profile basketball schools.  We'll just lose by 30.  Or someone will get injured.  Or, we're better off spending our entire 30 game schedule just getting ready to the play the tournament in Cleveland.  Or, just replace the wooden bleachers in the JAR and just try to get those schools to come here.    

Why would we want to go to Atlanta just get a paycheck and get our a$$es kicked? :rolleyes:

The trick is to schedule name programs when they are cycling down.  OU didn't beat a good GT team, but they still get the milage from beating a team that people relate to through their memories of Mark Price, John Salley and Chris Bosh.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

No, please don't post that.  There's too many people here who think that it's senseless for us to make long road trips to play high profile basketball schools.  We'll just lose by 30.  Or someone will get injured.  Or, we're better off spending our entire 30 game schedule just getting ready to the play the tournament in Cleveland.  Or, just replace the wooden bleachers in the JAR and just try to get those schools to come here.    

Why would we want to go to Atlanta just get a paycheck and get our a$$es kicked? :rolleyes:

Gonzaga and Creighton (our money games) are both much better teams than a Georgia Tech team that is expected to finish last in the ACC. Akron needs to improve it's OOC scheduling, but OU has probably the worst OOC schedule in the entire MAC. Don't believe me, look for yourself.

http://www.bobcatattack.com/basketball/schedule.asp

23 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Gonzaga and Creighton (our money games) are both much better teams than a Georgia Tech team that is expected to finish last in the ACC. Akron needs to improve it's OOC scheduling, but OU has probably the worst OOC schedule in the entire MAC. Don't believe me, look for yourself.

http://www.bobcatattack.com/basketball/schedule.asp

It doesn't matter what OU's schedule looks like, or where Georgia Tech is "projected" to finish.  The only thing that matters to me is that they scheduled a very prominent school, from the biggest b-ball conference in the country, on the road, in OOC play, and WON.  

Why?  Because if this was our win, it would catch Joe Akron's attention more than all of the wins against Coppin State, North Carolina A&T, and  Arkansas Pine Bluff over the last 10 years.....combined!!  

Joe Akron couldn't care less what OU or Akron's OOC schedule looks like.  Nor does he know anything about what you, or the prognosticators have said about Georgia Tech.  The only thing that matters to him is that Akron knocked off a big basketball program.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit
  • Like 1

Hey Skip, the Zips had a chance to beat a name school last year, a terrible Ohio State team.  What happened?  We pissed down our leg.  Until you can actually capitalize on opportunities it is probably best not to purposely set them up.

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Skip don't get what you're getting at here, I think most people complain about a low profile home schedule not who we play away from home. At away/neutral sites since 2008 we've played at Pitt, NC State, Texas A&M, Minnesota, Miami (twice), Mississippi St (won and that was a top 25 team), West Virginia, Oklahoma St, Penn St (twice won once), Oregon State (won), South Carolina (three times won once), USC (won), Arkansas (won) and National Champion Villanova. I think you can complain about some things about our schedule but I don't think that's one of them. We've played and won against high profile teams. The Ohio GT win will be quickly forgotten. You'd have to win consistently against that type of competition (including the NCAA tournament) to get your average fan to take notice. I have no issues with Akron's away/neutral scheduling and that's not even counting solid mid majors like Dayton and Middle Tennessee.

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 1

Just now, skip-zip said:

It doesn't matter what OU's schedule looks like, or where Georgia Tech is "projected" to finish.  The only thing that matters to me is that they scheduled a very prominent school, from the biggest b-ball conference in the country, on the road, in OOC play, and WON.  

Why?  Because if this was our win, it would catch Joe Akron's attention more than all of the wins against Coppin State, North Carolina A&T, and  Arkansas Pine Bluff over the last 10 years.....combined!!  

Joe Akron couldn't care less what OU or Akron's OOC schedule looks like.  Nor does he know anything about what you, or the prognosticators have said about Georgia Tech.  The only thing that matters to him is that Akron knocked off a big basketball program.  

I wouldn't really call Georgia Tech prominent. They've made a grand total of 1 Sweet 16 this century and haven't made the tourney since 2010. To Joe Akron they are no different than Arkansas, USC, or Penn State, all teams Akron has beaten in the recent past. Gonzaga is actually a school Joe Akron knows for being good. I'd rather have them on my schedule than Georgia Tech.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

Hasn't Akron beaten P5 schools five years in a row? What has that done for the perception of the program?  What does beating projected last place Georgia Tech do for Ohio that beating Mississippi State, Oregon State, and South Carolina didn't do for the Zips?  I guess I don't understand this thread. OU just did what we have done every year for the past half decade and people are acting like we need to be more like OU.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K92 said:

The trick is to schedule name programs when they are cycling down.  OU didn't beat a good GT team, but they still get the milage from beating a team that people relate to through their memories of Mark Price, John Salley and Chris Bosh.

We did that at Ohio State last year in the NIT.  The only problem is that we do not take advantage of the opportunity when it was presented.

8 minutes ago, K92 said:

Is there an echo in here?

My apologies, missed your last post about the Ohio State game.   However, after reading it I disagree that we should not schedule good teams.  Playing good teams gives you a chance for an upset, gives KD an idea about the teams weaknesses, and prepares them for better competition which they will face if they get back into the tournament.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

My apologies, missed your last post about the Ohio State game.   However, after reading it I disagree that we should not schedule good teams.  Playing good teams gives you a chance for an upset, gives KD an idea about the teams weaknesses, and prepares them for better competition which they will face if they get back into the tournament.

It's a "no brainer".  And I could add to your list.  

But for some people, it's always back to the "don't schedule them, because we can't win them" attitude. 

13 hours ago, K92 said:

Joe Akron.  :rofl: He doesn't care.  He's drinking a Busch Light and watching the Buckeyes.

I'll go with Busch Light 16 oz., in the can.  

But you're right.  We haven't given him anything to change that.  

Edited by skip-zip

• 2 weeks later...