NCAA Bound - Congratulations

Akron 2  Buffalo 1

2 goals by Nick Hinds

assists by Sam and Jonathan

25-4 in shots

9-2 in shots on goal

15-0 in corner kicks

This season has its ups and downs....much credit to the resilient team...

They took care of business this weekend.  Congratulations

Tremendous improvement during the season by Jonathan Lewis and Nick Hinds

I also have to give a lot of credit to Coach Embick and the coaching staff.  Moving Nick Hinds from left DB to the midfield made a huge difference for this team and moving Goncalo Soares from a holding mid position to right def. back was also a very underrated move.

Looking forward to the draw tomorrow and see what challenges await this team.  Tremendous job by the best sports team on the akron campus.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chris said:

The Zips soccer game will be away. Probably at Michigan State, Indiana or Notre Dame.

strongly disagree that thursday night game will be at Indiana or Notre Dame

http://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/search/label/RPI Rank

Indiana and Notre Dame are 13 and 15 in current rpi...they both should get a top 16 seed and be off until sunday

Michigan State is 19 in current rpi....they will play thursday night but should face the 2nd or 3rd weakest team in 48 team field

Akron is currently 27 in rpi....I think U Mass Lowell is not eligible for ncaa (they have been around #4 or rpi) due to not being div. 1 for 4 years...

in theory, teams 17-32 in rpi should host a thursday night game...

NCAA has ignored RPI many times...but I will be disappointed if the zips do not host a home game.

I just hope that they can avoid having to play Maryland in 2nd round.  Maryland is 18-0-2 and has won every game since Sept. 9.

they are clear #1 team

• Like 1

also, Harvard...is currently 22 in rpi...

they , similar to u-mass lowell....are not eligible for ncaa's as their season was cancelled to sexual harassment...

if zips stay at 27 in rpi....they would be 25th highest ranked RPI team in ncaa 48 team draw

ncaa chooses top 16 teams to get first round byes

they then select next best 16 to host thursday night...and 33 to 48th ranked teams hit the road

there are not 32 eliglible ncaa soccer teams that are better than the zips....

strongly disagree with Chris

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

strongly disagree that thursday night game will be at Indiana or Notre Dame

http://rpiupdatemenssoccer.blogspot.com/search/label/RPI Rank

Indiana and Notre Dame are 13 and 15 in current rpi...they both should get a top 16 seed and be off until sunday

Michigan State is 19 in current rpi....they will play thursday night but should face the 2nd or 3rd weakest team in 48 team field

Akron is currently 27 in rpi....I think U Mass Lowell is not eligible for ncaa (they have been around #4 or rpi) due to not being div. 1 for 4 years...

in theory, teams 17-32 in rpi should host a thursday night game...

NCAA has ignored RPI many times...but I will be disappointed if the zips do not host a home game.

I just hope that they can avoid having to play Maryland in 2nd round.  Maryland is 18-0-2 and has won every game since Sept. 9.

they are clear #1 team

Ah, I forgot that the top 16 got a bye. Then yes, hopefully the committee grants the Zips one home match.

from the buffalo head coach

Head coach Stu Riddle: "We saw why Akron was ranked as the #1 side in the preseason polls today, they were exceptional and controlled the first half. I was proud of the second half showing from our lads and felt when we scored that we might find our way back into the match but it wasn't to be. The 8 seniors have been outstanding during their four years here and i can't thank them enough for everything they have given our program."

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

With Zips basketball game on Thursday at 7, if we host I wonder if the start will be 4-5 so people can go to both?

this is the NCAA tournament....Soccer deserves respect for that achievement

Season ticket holders would be horribly inconvenienced if the game were not at 7 or 7;30

the Grand Canyon game was a disaster.....for attendance....

Zips need their loyal fan base in the stands at 7 or 7'30...go, zips

Tenn Zip....I do understand your passion, and where you're coming from.  And I was at the Grand Canyon game, and the attendance was a disaster.  But the reality is that it's basketball vs. soccer.  And the majority of loyal Akron basketball fans already had purchased tickets in their hands before this soccer game ever materialized.  Soccer attendance for a first round tournament game would suffer badly if it runs parallel to the basketball game.  I don't see any other solution than to try to play this before the basketball game.  

7 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Tenn Zip....I do understand your passion, and where you're coming from.  And I was at the Grand Canyon game, and the attendance was a disaster.  But the reality is that it's basketball vs. soccer.  And the majority of loyal Akron basketball fans already had purchased tickets in their hands before this soccer game ever materialized.  Soccer attendance for a first round tournament game would suffer badly if it runs parallel to the basketball game.  I don't see any other solution than to try to play this before the basketball game.

No.  Kick-off will likely be 19:00.  Folks can attend which ever contest they choose.

Actual attendance is secondary to servicing season ticket holders who keep the respective programs well healed.

Just consider that there's plenty of crossover fans, and they've already paid for their basketball tickets for Thursday.  I'd take my chances that people might go to both if we can alter the time, rather than ditch their paid basketball ticket to buy a soccer ticket for a first round game.   

I'm not sure why anyone would consider a 7pm soccer start to be more important than trying to accommodate fans to get maximum soccer attendance.   

Maximize attendance?  Whose attendance?  Season ticket holders, most of whom are employed, cannot attend a 16:00 start.  Their financial support must be rewarded with an NCAA Tournament match they can attend.  Otherwise, that financial support will erode.

There are crossover fans.  God knows I love ?!  It is my second favorite sport.  But who are the people who are free for 6 straight hours on Thursday?  Not many at all is my guess.  

Fans will need to make a simple choice come Thursday.  I will take the tournament match, regardless of the sport.  There is not a problem here.

Great job by our team that suffered numerous key injuries and losses this season. So happy for them that they dug deep and found their way to do as needed to win the MAC again and keep the NCAA Tourney appearance streak going. ?

Edited by Zip_ME87

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

Fans will need to make a simple choice come Thursday.  

No doubt.  Yes, I can see some difficulty with people leaving work early.  But this is the first home basketball game (cupcake or not) of the season, and a few thousand fans already have paid tickets.  

bigzipguy....I think you actually spell out the problem.  It's post season, and the soccer season ticket holders need to buy additional tickets for this one.  And there was only 1,400 and 1,500 for the MAC semi and title game, with no competition from basketball.   Lets face it.  This is still a team right now that nobody expect to go anywhere.  It might take a couple more wins to get people back on the bandwagon.  I just don't expect many people to throw away their basketball tickets to go pay to sit outside for this one.  

Heck, put it at 5pm.  I think anything will help vs. competing with the basketball home opener.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

27 minutes ago, malonepioneer12 said:

I wasn't happy with the 4PM start for the Grand Canyon game.  I have had season tickets for four years and drive an hour to every game.  I went to KC last year to support the team.  I couldn't make the game at four because I work.  I would be furious if the game was at four....,

I will be apoplectic should AD even attempt to move up start of soccer match.  

There are not many avid followers for either program.  Has MSOC drawn 2500 this year?  Far fewer, by a long shot, would be "crossover" fans wanting to attend both the NCAA Tournament match and the home opener.  These folks likely number in the dozens, if that.  I cannot imagine any basketball season ticket holder ditching their duckets for the soccer match.  

Fear not, skip zip; that will not happen.