Game 12—@Ohio Bobcats

skip-zip

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

So Akron has 4 scholarship recruited QBs on its roster +1 walk on? How many scholarships and roster spots did you expect them to spend on QBs? The real issue is it seems outside of Woodson and the jury still being out on Kato, the coaching staff whiffed on recruiting and developing QBs as we have no serviceable backup.

IIRC, Goodman is actually one of the lasts Ianello recruits and has played WR his whole career at UA.

Per Gozips - As a Freshman (2012): Member of the Zips' 2011 signing class, but did not enroll at UA until January 2012 ... participated in spring practice ... played in nine games ... made 14 catches for 113 yards and two touchdowns ... one of seven receivers to have multiple TD receptions ... one scoring catch came in a win over Morgan State and versus Bowling Green ... had a season-best showing of three catches for 32 yards at FIU.

51 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Sure I'm not saying they all need to be studs, however, it would be nice to have 1 somewhat decent backup. Perhaps Chapman could have been that guy if Akron's coaches weren't so stubborn in not wanting to modify their gameplan to fit the skill set of their starting QB.

Take a look at last year's OU and Pitt games to see the tailored offense around Chapman. It was some power running joke. Chapman had 14 carries and went 0/8 passing in the 1st half before being replaced by Pohl. Against Pitt, Chapman went 4-14 passing and had 10 rushes for -22 yards. That is not a typo.  The only way to tailor an offense around him is to completely change the offense, which IMO, would be gross negligence based on past results and the current makeup of the team. We do not have the horses to be a predominately running team and have exceptional talent that should be utilized at WR. Chapman has showed he can be a capable backup, but obviously hasn't lived up to his high recruiting ranking.

Edited by LZIp

Well, CMU beats OU last night.  So, what does that mean for us?

1) The long road trip for OU vs. our bye week is obviously going to help us.  But, would we rather have them coming off of a win or a loss?

2) It sucks that If we had won only ONE more game, we would be celebrating this CMU win, since we know now that it would have put us right into a one-on-one matchup next week for the potential (based on what Miami does) MAC East title.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Still can't believe Miami is in the running for Detroit.

I said it a couple of weeks ago, and I still can't believe it.  They've won 5 straight since their loss to us.  .

Now, just a little over a month since we beat Miami in Akron, we have their MAC East title in our hands next week, along with our own bowl eligibility.    

A Note on Bowl Eligibility:

7 MAC teams got bowl bids last year.

Only 7 MAC teams still have a chance to get eligible this year, including Akron.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

25 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Miami has 78 players on their roster who are Freshmen or SSophmores.  That is how you build a winning football program.

All got to experience a 35-13 loss by the Zips this year, who have 57. Hopefully those 57 get some valuable extra practice time. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Think Miami might be rooting just a little for the Zips next week? Avoiding a loss to either last placers Buffalo or BGSU could have won a division title. Sigh.

Yes, either one of those wins would have made our head-to-head matchup with OU the decider as to whether we finish ahead of them.  

But here's the strange part.  Since Miami could still get to 6 wins, and we are still at 3, we would have had to beat Buffalo, BG AND OU to stay even with them for the Detroit bid, and would have only gotten the bid on a tiebreaker.

Winning 5 straight MAC games after their dismal start is pretty remarkable.  Heck, if any team in our league wins 5 straight that's quite an accomplishment.  And YES, we'll surely have a lot of Zips fans in Oxford next week.   

10 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I said it a couple of weeks ago, and I still can't believe it.  They've won 5 straight since their loss to us.  .

Now, just a little over a month since we beat Miami in Akron, we have their MAC East title in our hands next week, along with our own bowl eligibility.    

A Note on Bowl Eligibility:

7 MAC teams got bowl bids last year.

Only 7 MAC teams still have a chance to get eligible this year, including Akron.  

???

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

"The most prestigious award in college football" :lol:  That's pretty awesome.

I chuckled a bit when I saw that too.  

Although, I think that's a pretty incredible record of consistency.  I'd compare that to a Shortstop who fielded 122 straight ground balls without bobbling one of them.  Pretty amazing.  

Banged-up Zips need upset of Bobcats to gain bowl eligibility

“The only quarterback I can tell you is not playing this week is [freshman] Kato Nelson,” UA coach Terry Bowden said. “This week, we’re not sure again. We’re going to try to get our quarterbacks ready and see where we are.”

Edited by Blue & Gold

20 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Banged-up Zips need upset of Bobcats to gain bowl eligibility --The only quarterback I can tell you is not playing this week is [freshman] Kato Nelson, Bowden said. “This week, we’re not sure again. We’re going to try to get our quarterbacks ready and see where we are.”

I'm assuming that's why no spread is available. Oddshark's formula predicts OU to win 36-18. If Woodson plays, I hope they don't call any QB draw plays. 

From the linked article..."24 players have missed extended time...throughout the season". Wow:unsure2: