Game 2: Zips -v- American U.

Blue & Gold

Zips looking to shore up defensive performance on eve of home opener

For Dambrot, the key to fixing that situation is simple.

“Splinters,” he said, suggesting players will be on the bench if they’re not performing up to expectations on the defensive end. “If you don’t hold them accountable that’s what happens. If you have to win 60-58 to prove a point, that’s what you have to do.”

While I don't want to watch any 60-58 games, something has to be done to shake the team up after that sleepwalking session at YSU.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gozips19 said:

Also is there a dj playing music all the time or is a student just playing his mix tape during the online feed? Serious question 

I haven't been listening to the audio feed, but the Zips have hired a DJ specifically for this basketball season. I would imagine that is the music you are hearing.

9 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm watching online & can't tell - is that Utomi who's been getting PT, or is that Eubanks?

New uni's look... meh... on screen. 

That's a big reason why I was telling you I didn't like white numbers on white jerseys a week or 2 back. IK they would be hard to read.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

Much to work on.  I thought we were going to see Kwan with his back to the basket more often, but that's apparently no the case.  Glad to see Ivey's development.  He's finally finding his stride and confidence.  I get the idea of putting our three best guards on the floor with Noah, Antino and Josh, but I'm not sure it's working, at least yet.   Keith will find the effective rotations before long.

JT3 has to be happy.  His Georgetown offense is no longer the most plodding offense in DC.

Antino really needs to step it up. In the 1st 2 games he is a combined 4/15 shooting for a total of 9 points, 4 boards, 2 assists, and 4 turnovers. I was glad to see Ivey produce. He had a clear path fast break dunk waved off for traveling. He's got to be more mindful of those things, but it was nice to see some transition offense for once.

The Zips strength is supposed to be our shooting, especially our 3 point shooting.  We only shot 25% from the 3 point line and 36% from the field against a weak team.  We had 17 more rebounds than American and we were more athletic and played with more hustle tonight.  We started hot on the 3 point line and had a double digit lead early.  I do not think we made a 3 point basket the entire second half.  I liked Ivey's game last year and he played almost the entire 2nd half.  He played good defense and had some nice drives and assists.  

Robotham had 3 turnovers and most of his points came from the line in the second half.  Antino did not play much in the second half.  I finally got to see Utomi play and he really did not do much in his 4 minutes of play.  Not sure how much talent this team has if we do not hit the 3 ball.  Kwan had some nice takes under the basket and led the teams in rebounds.  He seemed to play with more hustle tonight than in Youngstown.  I am hoping that Ivey becomes a starter and we are done with the 3 guard offense. 

8 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I am hoping that Ivey becomes a starter and we are done with the 3 guard offense. 

Even if Ivey replaces one of the guys in that trio of small guards who start, it's still a 3-guard offense.  He might play like someone much bigger, but he's still a Guard.  

But the real question is....do you see Keith replacing one of those 3 guys?  I love Ivey's game, but he may not yet have the stable play that we'd want in a starter.  As long as he can come in at any time, and we can play him more or less minutes based on how he's doing that night, I'm fine with that.  

The way I see it after 2 games, the only thing that's going to make us venture away from a 3 Guard offense this year is if someone like Aaron, Emmanuel, or Daniel get to the point where they can give us 20 minutes per night.  If not, our best option for depth of productive players remains in the backcourt.   

I don't like both Noah & Antino starting.  I like Antino with the ball in his hands.

We have two athletic guards (Antino, Ivey) and two not-so-athletic guards (Noah, Josh).

I think I might start Noah & Ivey together, then bring Antino & Josh off the bench together.  Or vice versa.

Edited by Blue & Gold

Random Observations:

I like the new FR center, Michael Hughes. He's quick for a big man, plays good D with his feet and made 3 nice steals when American tried to go down low on him. He's in much better basketball shape than Big Dog was as a Fr, so I think he will be a great addition going forward.

Big Dog just seemed a bit out of sync last night, early on. He seemed to find his rhythm as the game went on. Still, when he gets that look and is determined to score, just get out of the way!

Ivey and Robo had 4 turnovers between them just from lazy passes. They played, at times, like it was a pick-up game, just not focused.

I know it's early, but this game would have been over much earlier if they had just taken care of the ball.

Everyone else just seems to be searching for a role and I think, just as in years past, they will find it.

I have tremendous respect for the Akron coaching staff and I know (hope)  they will have them ready to go come MACtion Time.

Oh yea, American U really s*cks at free throws  :P