2017 QB recruits

I'll say this much. 

Having two QB's ready to play, one that you 100% intend to redshirt, and a walk on who is essentially not able to contribute anything.......is not enough.

But, if we're lucky enough that Woody and/or TC stay healthy next year, nobody will even be talking about this at all.  Again...IF we're fortunate.  

My beef is that, about a year or two ago, we had about 7 QB's, didn't we?  Somebody screwed up somewhere.  

Edited by skip-zip

10 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'll say this much. 

Having two QB's ready to play, one that you 100% intend to redshirt, and a walk on who is essentially not able to contribute anything.......is not enough.

But, if we're lucky enough that Woody and/or TC stay healthy next year, nobody will even be talking about this at all.  Again...IF we're fortunate.  

Chapman was terrible even when healthy. I haven't seen Kato throw a pass, but for the sake of the future of Akron football I pray to God he is better than Chapman.

At this stage we are pretty far down the pecking order of our QB wishlist. We will end up with someone in this class I can almost guarantee that, but it will be someone the staff settled for, not someone they actually wanted.

Edited by kreed5120

38 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

At this stage we are pretty far down the pecking order of our QB wishlist. We will end up with someone in this class I can almost guarantee that, but it will be someone the staff settled for, not someone they actually wanted.

Illinois offered Kato on January 8th 2016. So does that mean they were settling for him?

Recruiting ends in February. I'm not panicking in mid-December. Hell... half the HS QB's "committed" in December will probably flip come February. 

Scads of 5th year transfers out there too.

29 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Illinois offered Kato on January 8th 2016. So does that mean they were settling for him?

Recruiting ends in February. I'm not panicking in mid-December. Hell... half the HS QB's "committed" in December will probably flip come February. 

I guess that kind of depends on how many QBs they offered before him and how many of those rejected them. It was pretty clear Bowden and company were high on Kato offering him before even his senior season. That doesn't mean all teams valued him as such. Regardless of how you want to shape it, losing a player you clearly wanted to a conference rival isn't good. We aren't OSU, LSU, or UM who can sweep in last 2nd and use our name to steal recruits from other schools.

A 5th year transfer at QB isn't really what we need, nor would it be a desirable destination for a player looking for immediate playing time. What we need is someone that can sit out a year, learn the offense, and challenge Kato for the starting job the following year.

Edited by kreed5120

53 minutes ago, K92 said:

Until we see someone play I am done with this "high on" nonsense.  This staff was "high on" Chapman and Kincade.  I certainly hope that Kato pans out but so far high expectations have meant doodly squat.

Yep, it does give you that "we've been down this road before" feeling, after so many Next Great QB's haven't materialized.  

If Kato doesn't become "the man", I'll be really pissed that we went to great lengths to save him when we desperately needed a QB the last few games of this season.  I mean, we basically cost ourselves a bowl bid and a possible division title with that move.  I hope it's worth it to have him for an extra year.  

I'm not a fan of redshirting for the sake of redshirting.  It makes sense to redshirt linemen, if you can, to get them a year of a real weightlifting program before they play, but skill players that have the ability and if the team has the need, they should play.  Period.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Illinois offered him on January 8th, so yes they were settling for him. They obviously didn't get their targets, so they tried to swoop in at the end and steal a guy from a MAC school. Unfortunately for Illinois, they are equivalent of a MAC school. 

48 minutes ago, K92 said:

I'm not a fan of redshirting for the sake of redshirting.  It makes sense to redshirt linemen, if you can, to get them a year of a real weightlifting program before they play, but skill players that have the ability and if the team has the need, they should play.  Period.

Exactly!! 

As I've always understood the recruiting rule of thumb is you want a QB with every class.  Us not doing that bit us in the @$$ this year with pathetic QB depth.  I can't believe our #3 option was a converted WR who hadn't taken a snap all year.  

We desperately need a QB this year because after next season Kato's gonna be the only QB on the roster.  Crazy.

Honestly, we should probably try to sign two.

23 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I can't believe our #3 option was a converted WR who hadn't taken a snap all year.  

I thought we were all told that he hadn't taken a snap at QB since high school.  And his only passing experience at Akron in a game was taking the handoff on the reverse and throwing the TD pass to Woody in the bowl game last year.  

You're right.  Unbelievable.  

2 hours ago, K92 said:

Is that something you think the staff does? Alvin Davis was a skill position player who played this year even in a deep secondary. Bell, Gilbert, George, Brown(I dont know why he is listed as a Redshirt, I remember him playing), and Edwards played in 2015 as true freshman.

And for the people crapping on Chapman, enough. No he did not live up to hype, No he is not the present or future. Outside of the 1st half against Kent, I think he showed to be a formidable back up. I mean..we went 2-1 with a win over our arch rival at their place, a win over a bowl team(how many other times has a win over a bowl team happened under Bowden??), and lost to one of the only 2 undefeated teams in the country left. I'm not acting like he is great, but some of you are bitching just to bitch. He is not the future and I do not expect him on the field so I'm not going to cry about the imperfections.

26 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Is that something you think the staff does? Alvin Davis was a skill position player who played this year even in a deep secondary. Bell, Gilbert, George, Brown(I dont know why he is listed as a Redshirt, I remember him playing), and Edwards played in 2015 as true freshman.

I think if Kato is skilled, he should have played when Woodson got hurt.

6 minutes ago, K92 said:

I think if Kato is skilled, he should have played when Woodson got hurt.

As I said, I don't see what there is to complain about when Chapman went 2-1 as a starter with the loss coming to WMU. If you think the redshirt should have been burned for the last game of the season against the division champs, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Edited by LZIp