Game 3: Zips -v- Radford - 11/20

Blue & Gold

8 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Poke even played the 5 tonight, with Big Dog and Big Mike out.

I didn't think anyone else would have noticed that.  Poke and Kwan were the only frontcourt players on the floor at one time, and Poke was guarding their center.  

I know the guy is 6'-8", and can get off the floor, but I was still pretty surprised when I saw that, even though it was only for a short time.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I didn't think anyone else would have noticed that.  Poke and Kwan were the only frontcourt players on the floor at one time, and Poke was guarding their center.  

I know the guy is 6'-8", and can get off the floor, but I was still pretty surprised when I saw that, even though it was only for a short time.  

Agreed.  I would guess Poke's probably too thin to play the 5 against higher level competition, but, as you noted, he's 6'-8", can get off the floor and his arms are so long I think he can touch the floor while standing straight up! 

9 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Agreed.  I would guess Poke's probably too thin to play the 5 against higher level competition, but, as you noted, he's 6'-8", can get off the floor and his arms are so long I think he can touch the floor while standing straight up! 

Who knows.  Maybe he will end up playing closer to the basket.  He has the tools to make him that versatile, including grabbing 5 boards in only 9 minutes of play last night.  But his 190 lbs. isn't going to cut it.  

15 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

The new uniforms are just awful. Watching on the absurd ca. 2001 video feed I could not make out the numbers at all.

That was a perfect opportunity to use GOLD inside of those blue outlined numbers, just like the current soccer jerseys.  It would have looked awesome. 

Unfortunately, that wouldn't have helped that Script Akron that's difficult to read also, even sitting less that 10 rows from the floor. 

I guess I need to start wearing my glasses to the game.  Something I've never done before.  It's puzzling why the visual problem from any kind of distance wasn't discovered before we went with this design.  

• Like 2

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the attendants collecting $5 at the Rt. 8 parking deck last night.  Is that just for these "tournament games", or is this something new for the rest of the season?  This didn't happen on Thursday.  And it's never happened before.  

I don't give a damn about the $5.  But, it caused an unbelievable problem with traffic flow getting into the deck.   DO NOT try to make a left turn into either entrance.  It's impossible with the line of traffic sitting there waiting to pay.  

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I wouldn't read too much into Poke playing the 5 for a brief moment last night. Big Mike was battling foul trouble most of the night and Radford was pretty undersized themselves. Between Big Dog and Big Mike I wouldn't expect for him to get many minutes playing there this season.

Sure.  It was definitely a brief situational thing.  But it also doesn't rule out the possibility in the future, like I indicated.  

I agree we made a few too many unforced errors. I'm glad to see Antino and Noah finally came around on offense. Georgia Southern and in particular Air Force should provide to be tougher tests. Just keep working on improving week to week and hopefully we are performing at our best come that final weekend in Cleveland.

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Just keep working on improving week to week and hopefully we are performing at our best come that final weekend in Cleveland.

Alright.  There we go again.  

There's nearly 4 months of exciting basketball to enjoy between now and mid-March.  These are not warmup or practice games.  Enjoy the season !!!! 

2 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Alright.  There we go again.  

There's nearly 4 months of exciting basketball to enjoy between now and mid-March.  These are not warmup or practice games.  Enjoy the season !!!! 

Where in my statement did I say I wasn't enjoying this season? All teams should be looking to improve as the season progresses so they are peaking at the right time. This team might have more improvement needed than some Akron teams of recent past, but that doesn't mean I don't think they can compete in the MAC this year.

49 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'm wondering what everyone thinks about the attendants collecting $5 at the Rt. 8 parking deck last night.  Is that just for these "tournament games", or is this something new for the rest of the season?  This didn't happen on Thursday.  And it's never happened before.  

I don't give a damn about the $5.  But, it caused an unbelievable problem with traffic flow getting into the deck.   DO NOT try to make a left turn into either entrance.  It's impossible with the line of traffic sitting there waiting to pay.  

The $5 is a permanent thing.  They told me about it when I picked up my season tickets last week.  Fortunately, they also give the season ticket holders a parking pass for each game, even the cheapo general admission guys like me.  The attendants were there Thursday night when we parked.

Frenchie mentioned how our opponents' play by play guys are going to love those uniforms last night, referencing how he couldn't call the game if he didn't know our players by sight.  Who knows what they were thinking.

Poke's certainly not going top be a regular 5, but it's nice to see his versatility.  Heck, I could have played the 5 for a couple of minutes last night given the way that one went!

51 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Frenchie mentioned how our opponents' play by play guys are going to love those uniforms last night, referencing how he couldn't call the game if he didn't know our players by sight.  Who knows what they were thinking.

I'm looking forward to hearing the national TV guys that have absolutely no exposure to the MAC coming in. At least the other MAC announcers will recognize some of the faces.

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

A really well written game story with quotes and everything!

... by some dude named Brad Bournival(?)... "Special to the Beacon Journal." :rolleyes:

“People are always talking about a new arena or renovated arena,” Akron coach Keith Dambrot said. “I’ve been here 12-plus years now and I think we’ve lost only 23 games. I don’t know if I want a new arena to be honest with you. Just keep giving me those wins here.”

Dont' worry KD, you'll beat Radford and American just fine at the new barn too

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Kind of ironic to see that nice Blue & Gold banner over their shoulders that is directly behind the team bench while they sign autographs in their blue and shiny whites. Not to mention the "Akron Blue & Gold" message periodically scrolling on the the scorer's table scoreboard during  the game. Looks like someone is pushing both colors. ;)

Edited by ewbrooman1

28 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

“People are always talking about a new arena or renovated arena,” Akron coach Keith Dambrot said. “I’ve been here 12-plus years now and I think we’ve lost only 23 games. I don’t know if I want a new arena to be honest with you. Just keep giving me those wins here.”

Dont' worry KD, you'll beat Radford and American just fine at the new barn too

:lol:  Exactly.

Who knows, with a new arena we may actually be able to bring in some competition worth the price of admission?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Man those are some harsh comments by James W Snyder:(

"It did not go well, if you like sporting events"

"This was a crapper of a game, where Akron played terrible, and dominated a weak opponent. There is nothing to be gained from this game as a viewer"

"The stat line showed just how awful this game was"

Akron Fight Song!

Chorus

We cheer the Akron Blue and Gold,
We cheer as the colors unfold.

We pledge anew, we're all for you,
As the team goes crashing through,
Fight! Fight!

We cheer the Akron warriors bold,
For a fight that's a sight to behold,
So we stand up, and cheer and shout,
For the Akron Blue and Gold!

Zzzip! Zip go the Zippers!
Zzzip! Zip go the Zippers!

Akron U,
Gold and Blue,
All for you, and the Zippers too!
(to chorus)

Did you know?

The University of Akron’s fight song, “The Akron Blue and Gold,” was written in 1939 by Fred Waring, nationally known composer and leader of the wildly-popular band, “Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians.”

In response to a request from the University’s student newspaper, Waring wrote “a distinctive song” for The University of Akron. “The Akron Blue and Gold” premiered over his NBC hookup on November 17, 1939, and has been used as the University’s fight song ever since.

• Like 1

Akron was 9-0 last year in MAC play at home and 4-5 on the road. 4 of the 5 teams we lost to on the road we beat at home (Toledo we never played at home). There is no denying the fact the Zips have built a home court advantage at the JAR. That success I'd guess would transfer to a new arena.

New arena or not I don't see that being the reason teams won't come play at Akron. Oregon State really hasn't been a great basketball program since the late 80s and Kent had to do a 2 for 1 to get them to agree to come to Kent for a game. Bigger name schools won't agree to come to Akron for the same reason Akron wouldn't agree to go to play at Coppin State. They feel it is beneath them. Our best hope to get a Purdue or Iowa State to agree to play at the JAR is we have it built into the 1 and done football contract. Personally as a general admission STH that breaks out to $4 per game it's kind of hard for me to bitch about who we play at home. I can see how those of you that pay $400-$1000+ could be disappointed not seeing higher level competition.

• 1 month later...