Zips @ #12 Creighton Bluejays

Dr Z

To honestly have any chance we need to slow the game down and feed Big Dog. Perhaps he can bait Patton into a couple early fouls. With the loss of their backup C they don't really have depth at the PF, C positions. Trying to play through our guards will only lead to long rebounds after missing contested 3's and deflected passes. Both of which are easy to turn into fast break points. 

Edit: When Creighton had to play a half-court offense against Buffalo I wasn't impressed with them.

Edited by kreed5120

Creighton plays with the chip-on-you-shoulder attitude of a high mid-major, but the talent of a Big East team. Their home court advantage is huge too.

You know we're going to be chucking up a lot of 3's...they better be falling or we'll get buried fast. Very difficult match up for the Zips.

50 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

We started the Adrian game shooting 5-of-15 on 3's.

If we start like that -vs- Creighton this game is going to be over before the 10:00 mark.

That might be true of the Creighton game.  But 5 of 15 (33%) is certainly not an atrocious 3-point shooting stretch.  What made it look so bad last night was that many of them were really open shots since we were playing a team who couldn't chase us around the floor as well as probably everyone else we'll face this year.  

I worry about surviving games this year when we come out of the gate shooting 2 of 15 from 3-point range.  Because it's going to happen at some point.  

5 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

Just checked on Warner Cable and the Creighton game is not scheduled on FS2.  Hopefully that will change.

It is a national broadcast, grad.  It shows up on my TV index all the way out here in HA-Waii.

I have a question:  We defeated Creighton at the JAR in Feb 2011, in the ESPN BracketBuster.  Who remembers that game?  Doug McDermott was a freshman for the Blue Jays, and according to the CU preview, scored in double figures all 35 games that year -- holy mole'!  I looked, but can't find a recap.

21 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

It is a national broadcast, grad.  It shows up on my TV index all the way out here in HA-Waii.

I have a question:  We defeated Creighton at the JAR in Feb 2011, in the ESPN BracketBuster.  Who remembers that game?  Doug McDermott was a freshman for the Blue Jays, and according to the CU preview, scored in double figures all 35 games that year -- holy mole'!  I looked, but can't find a recap.

I got your recap right here. :-)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

I hope they see us as a cupcake.

If you go to their board, you'll see a good number of their fans see us this way as they are already looking ahead to Nebraska. Unfortunately considering the Zips beat them not that long ago, I can't see their coach allowing the players look past us.

Edit: others know who we are and recognize us as a solid mid-major opponent and potential trap game.

Edited by kreed5120

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

If you go to their board, you'll see a good number of their fans see us this way as they are already looking ahead to Nebraska. Unfortunately considering the Zips beat them not that long ago, I can't see their coach allowing the players look past us.

Edit: others know who we are and recognize us as a solid mid-major opponent and potential trap game.

After YSU a lot of people were really down. While we have not played any top tier opponents yet, we do seem to be coming together. They show some flashes of stuff we have not seen in years. I am going out on a limb here and saying that we have a real shot on Saturday, and for sure a shot at another MAC Championship game. This year we are NOT small and we are NOT slow. We just need to be GOOD.

31 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

After YSU a lot of people were really down. While we have not played any top tier opponents yet, we do seem to be coming together. They show some flashes of stuff we have not seen in years. I am going out on a limb here and saying that we have a real shot on Saturday, and for sure a shot at another MAC Championship game. This year we are NOT small and we are NOT slow. We just need to be GOOD.

Dambrot entered that game 6-0 vs YSU. If you play the same team enough times eventually they will beat you. We've played and beat 3 teams that I feel are better than YSU (GA So, Air Force, and Mercer).

This isn't to say we aren't without our faults. We have things to work on if we want to win the MAC and have a chance to make noise in the tourney. I wouldn't put it past the realm of possibility. We have some nice players. It's just a matter of putting it all together. The MAC looks down this year which should help the cause. The MAC is 1-9 vs. RPI top 100 (our win vs. Mercer is sole RPI top 100 win) and is 10-30 vs. RPI top 200.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm on my phone so can't post the link, but George Thomas just tweeted that Robotham is out for the Creighton game.

I'd have to imagine the Zips will slide Antino to point, Williams to the 2 guard, and insert Ivey into the starting lineup. TDM coming off the bench being the combo guard. We will need someone to step up big time at the 3 to give Ivey ~15 minutes of rest.

Zips are a 14 point underdog. Creighton has covered 4 of 5 ATS. The moneyline is about 10 to 1 if you think the Zips can win the game outright. 

Zips are ranked 77th, Creighton ranked 13th in this power ranking

Fox Sports 2 Nationally on DirecTV channel 618 and Dish Network channel 397‏

Online: For those with Fox Sports 2, on select systems (Cox, Time Warner, DirecTV, Xfinity, AT&T Uverse, Suddenlink, WOW, Midcontinent, Bright House, and Optimum among others) you can login and watch online on your computer. You can also download the Fox Sports Go app for your Android, Apple, Kindle Fire, or Windows Mobile device and stream the game.  Separate services like Apple TV, Android TV, Xbox and Roku has the FSGo channel. For the Cord Cutters there are several options to get FS1 non-traditionally through these services: Sling TV, Playstation Vue, and DirecTV Now.

• Like 1