Zips @ #12 Creighton Bluejays

Dr Z

59 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

watching game.  Buffalo was down 1 or 2 at half to Creighton and lost by 20+.  Let's see if Zips can hang around.

My thoughts, exactly.  Gotta keep playing smart & not get lured into a shootout.

Josh Williams reeeeally struggles on D.

Keep it going, Kwan.

Edited by Blue & Gold

Can't say I'm happy taking an L but I'm happy with the way they competed. 

Kwan always seems to play well against bigger schools.  

Like they subbed Williams with TDM

TDM had some bone head plays but he's going to be a player.

Like the adjustment late to get dog some better looks

Liked hokey-pokey 

Edited by gozips19

Good showing.  Creighton looks like an Elite 8 type of team.  They are athletic and can shoot the ball.  And they were making clutch shots.

Good game.  We're not at their level.  But we're not that far behind, either.

P.s.  Hate to say it, but I'm glad KD limited Josh's minutes down the stretch.  He doesn't seem to offer us much.  He's a one-trick-pony on offense & can't guard anyone.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

Playing Creighton and Gonzaga in the span of a week, both on the road, is ideal for this team to find out what they're really made of. Even with Coppin State in between, it's a tougher stretch than they'll ever face in the MAC. Having Coppin State even lets them have an opportunity to put what they've learned from Creighton into practice before facing another tough opponent.

• Like 1

I thought Akron played well.  We slowed the pace down as much as possible. We did not get blown out.   I would hope that KD replays the tape of this game to make this team realize that a good team does not rely on the 3 ball, uses gives and goes, and uses of the ball picks to get inside position.  We did a terrible job in the first half with our spacing and they were able to double and triple team Big Dog forcing him into turnovers.  Our spacing was much better in the second half and Big Dog was able to get to the basket.  Our guards are not big enough or physical enough to keep them away from the basket.  I agree with everyone that Josh needs to work on his defense.  He is definitely a step slow.  Needs to play at a quicker level.  Our defense was good at times and they still scored because of their talent. 

We needed Antino and Dunn Martin to shoot better to win this game.  I give Kwan a lot of credit.  He shot the ball well and had a game high 17 points against good competition.  Had 2 bad turnovers, an offensive foul and a travel.  Jimond played great defense and played a game high 38 minutes!!  Would have liked to see him attack the basket more.  I hate seeing him standing on the wing.  This allowed his man to double team Big Dog.  I thought we rebounded well but still missed a couple of box outs that cost us easy rebounds.  Loved watching Creighton push the ball.  They got several easy baskets just running down the court beating the Akron players down the court.   Hopefully, Akron can build off this loss.  Go Zips!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I thought Akron played well.  We slowed the pace down as much as possible. We did not get blown out.   

I think it should be enough to convince some people on here that we must play these games more often.  They have plenty of benefits, as some people have pointed out in this thread, and has been discussed many time in the past.  And it's also proof that there's not a mountain of separation between us and the top teams in the country.

However, when you consider that the lead went to double digits fairly early in the 2nd half, and stayed in double digits the rest of the way with the exception of a brief time near the 2 or 3 minute mark when it dipped to 8 or 9, the loss is still pretty decisive.  

As I said earlier, the frustration comes from the fact that we are not getting closer to winning these games.  And we were never close to being in a position to win this one.  

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

That was so much more fun than beating Western Tennessee Tech by 40. I was pretty encouraged by the showing. If we hit a few more shots, or if Creighton didn't go in that crazy run, who knows. But those things happened. Point is we aren't that far off. I really liked the way we fought back when we went down 20 instead of folding and chucking up dumb shots, I think that's a really good sign of this team's heart. Pumped to watch them play Gonzaga!