Zips vs. Adrian College- 11/30

clarkwgriswold

This game is pathetic. Instead of working on improving our offense and strengthening the team to help in our game against a ranked team on Saturday, the Zips are just standing around and jacking up every shot that they can. No effort to run any semblance of a play, or get it into the post. 

Listening on the radio namely to see if Dambrot provides any interesting tidbits in the post game interview. French said 3k were in attendance. I can't imagine many people bought single game tickets for this. To anyone at the game did you notice an uptick in student attendance? If so, perhaps that Lebron jersey giveaway is working.

Edited by kreed5120

Wow, Adrian makes Radford look like the mid-60's Celtics.  I stayed until the Zips were up 48 with 10 minutes left.   Not sure what, if anything, we can take from that one.

Continue to be impressed by Poke.  Plays hard with his head in the game.  I think his constant effort is getting him minutes.

4 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Listening on the radio namely to see if Dambrot provides any interesting tidbits in the post game interview. French said 3k were in attendance. I can't imagine many people bought single game tickets for this. To anyone at the game did you notice an uptick in student attendance? If so, perhaps that Lebron jersey giveaway is working.

I can't imagine there were 3K there.  There were a few students in the upper ends.  No band tonight.  The AKRowdies are a non-factor so far this year.  

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

I can't imagine there were 3K there.  There were a few students in the upper ends.  No band tonight.  The AKRowdies are a non-factor so far this year.  

Yeah, I know there wouldn't be 3k butts in the seats. Those numbers factor in STH like me who decided this game wasn't worth showing up for.

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Yeah, I know there wouldn't be 3k butts in the seats. Those numbers factor in STH like me who decided this game wasn't worth showing up for.

I was surprised by the crowd when I got there about 12 or 13 minutes before the game.  I think 3 to 5 people entered after me.  I would say it was the largest crowd for an Adrian game this year as their crowds have been 1009 (at Detroit), 245, 0, 575 and 334 according to their website..

Just now, clarkwgriswold said:

I was surprised by the crowd when I got there about 12 or 13 minutes before the game.  I think 3 to 5 people entered after me.  I would say it was the largest crowd for an Adrian game this year as their crowds have been 1009 (at Detroit), 245, 0, 575 and 334 according to their website..

0 people for a game. That's extremely impressive. Almost as impressive as if the Browns manage to run the table to go 0-16

It is difficult to judge anything from this game considering the level of competition but it was nice to see some interior passing that led to easy layups.  In the second half we played much tighter defense and forced several turnovers that led to easy baskets for Noah.  Antonio seems to be playing with more intensity.  KD indicated that he wants to get the younger players more time.  Utomi is athletic but like everyone else on the team loves to trigger the 3 ball.  If he hits his first shot he stays in and if he misses KD seems to pull him rather quickly.  With 10 minutes in the first half we were only up by 6 and played down to the competition.  Big Dog was getting triple teamed and passing the ball for open threes but we were not hitting them.  In the second half the shots were falling and we shot over 50% from the 3 line.  This team will once again probably live or die on how we shoot the 3 ball. 

8 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

The only thing preventing Utomi from getting more minutes is his inability to guard his man. If he wants to play he needs to up his game on defense.

That's scary. Its not like the people in front of him are top tier defenders. He must be atrocious to not be able to crack the lineup for that reason.

I thought it was a fun game.  Nice seeing Noah score eleven straight points.  Poke is a really good free throw shooter.  Dunn-Martin seems like one of those little MAC players (usually on another team) who could start lighting up the three point line late in the game.  But it is hard to get the crowd into a game like that when you expect to win by 40.

I wonder if our new president, a basketball fan, could order the pep band or just part of the pep band to stay around on Winter break so we don't need a member of the AV squad playing the national anthem and fight song by putting a tape recording of it up to a microphone.  The cheerleaders and dance team stick around, but I assume that is because they are part of the athletic department.

Has anyone else noticed that Aaron, Emmanuel, and Daniel are all actually rotating in and out of the game only at the 2 post positions occupied primarily with Big Dog/Kwan/Michael.  I'm seeing 3 Guards on the floor all the time now, and only 5 guys (Ivey and Martin as the reserves) rotating in and out with each other in various combinations.  At least at this point, I'm never seeing a 3rd Forward on floor at any time.  For instance, I'm never seeing Dog/Kwan/Utomi.  

My guess would be that this is telling us that the trust from the coaches remains with the guards, and not an expanded front court.    

9 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

The only thing preventing Utomi from getting more minutes is his inability to guard his man. If he wants to play he needs to up his game on defense.

Exactly.  I think he has much more offensive talent than Poke, but I think his defense, which is primarily grit and effort, is getting Poke on the floor ahead of him.