Zips vs. Coppin State- 12/7/16

clarkwgriswold

0-10 Coppin State comes to the JAR Wednesday night to face the Zips.  In their ten losses are losses to Georgetown, Clemson, BYU, Valparaiso and Utah.  They lost by only 2 to Ball State.  Pretty solid OOC schedule so far.  Leading scorer is 6-5 G/F Josh Treadwell at 10.3 per game.  The team averages 57 points a game and has given up nearly 84 per game.  

The anticipation for this game should reach a fevered pitch by tip-off Wednesday night.

Copied from a Rowdies email:

Men's Basketball vs Coppin ST 7 pm
WHITE OUT!!!  Everyone wear WHITE!
Bring toilet paper to throw onto the court after the first point is scored!

Has marketing done anything to notify the regular fans that it's a white out, or that we plan to TP the JAR?

Edited by ZachTheZip

3 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Has marketing done anything to notify the regular fans that it's a white out, or that we plan to TP the JAR?

First I've heard of it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

This has to be a joke.  We can't throw items on the floor during play.

I'm going to assume Akron either intends to burn a timeout or the teams and officials agreed to a stoppage of play. Maybe Akron is just willing to accept the technical. Either way it's definitely the plan.

10 minutes ago, K92 said:

Surely Skip and I are not the only oldies here that have thrown a roll of toilet paper onto the JAR floor.  I distinctly remember doing this in 1986.  I believe it was against BG.

YES, the early Huggins OVC years was the last time I remember seeing that.  And Since I was still a student, I was one of the guilty ones.  

The problem is, I was way up in the bleachers back then, and could hit the floor with my 25 year old arm.  Today, I'm afraid that I might dislocate my shoulder from 10 feet away :lol: (Insert toilet paper emoticon here).  

Will this actually get some students to attend?  I see weak student turnout for a game like this, and I am actually going to be pretty disappointed when I only see 10 rolls of TP being thrown.  

• Like 1

I don't see this necessarily bringing waves of fans in, but it is nice to see them try something new to try to get fans more engaged in the game. Who knows it might provide a few smirks and a couple laughs. I'm all for anything that improves the atmosphere, especially in a contest the Zips hopefully run away with.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

I was there and I resent your insinuating that I am old .:chair:

:lol:   All that matters to me is that I can still make just as much noise as I did back then.  My voice just seems to take longer to recover.  Just like everything else that takes longer to recover when you get old.  

But I really am worried about what might happen if I try to hurl a roll of toilet paper.  

Edited by skip-zip

9 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

For many years, Austin Peay did this for every home game -- I think we played them there at least once and they did it.  No tech was called.

14 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

For many years, Austin Peay did this for every home game -- I think we played them there at least once and they did it.  No tech was called.

Central Michigan during the Majerle days was famous for this also, although we didn't play them back then.  

Something makes me think that the rule had been a warning, followed by a Technical.  And then they just changed it to a Technical since obviously fans didn't do it twice during the course of a game.  Someone would have to look that up.