Zips vs. Coppin State- 12/7/16

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

We didn't lose at home at all last year, so it's starting to climb.  I think I had heard that we're starting to approach the record that was set back somewhere in the 06-08 period where we got somewhere in the area of about 30 in a row?   

In addition, the longest winning streak in Rhodes Arena history is 26 consecutive games

Dambrot also now 4 wins away from become Akron's all-time winning-est coach.The next 5 home opponents are:

* Marshall

* Bowling Green

* Western Michigan

* Ohio

* Eastern Michigan

3 of the 5 look like pretty good mid-majors this year so that 26 win total will be challenging to eclipse.

http://www.gozips.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/20161206txgtux

9 hours ago, morris buttermaker said:

80 rolls of toilet paper ---maybe..... we need a new arena, now!

Seems to me that the toilet paper toss would be more appropriate for the Kant game...Flushes.

39 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

So I went up to Akron and met up with some friends with the intention of us all going to the game. Needless to say we got to BS'ing, lost track of time, and didn't actually make it to the game. Out of curiosity what was the penalty, if any, for the TP throw? 

It was a technical foul which gave Coppin State 1 free throw. Steve French commented that he thought it would be 2 shots. It is definitely worth it for only a potential of 1 point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

KD has got to find some PT for this kid.

When I first saw him I thought, "Kid seems like a really raw Ibitayo? Maybe, in 2-3 years, he can grow into a serviceable player if he puts on some weight and works hard."

Upon further review - he reminds me a lot of Marcel Boyce. 

Boyce was the last Zip ever drafted by the NBA (back when there was a 6th round). He was rail-thin, but could jump out of the gym, block shots... he was a great help defender. He was also a dangerous 3-point shooter. 

Obviously, Boyce's offensive side has no correlation to Olojakpoke. But just as Boyce relentlessly swatted balls back in the faces of future NBA players like Charles Smith and Roy Tarpley, 'poke's combination of athleticism, energy and anticipation is gonna do the same for the Zips over the next 3.8 seasons. Defensively, the kid is a "Freshman Boyce." 

Olojakpoke's hops are awesome, his help defense and shot-blocking is way better than the next best Zips' historical comparison - Quade Milum. He hustles...did anyone see the block he had last night where the loose ball was kicked-out to the right elbow ...and Olojakpoke sprinted instantly to the elbow and smothered the ball handler?

The kid has biceps the diameter of pixie stix, but in limited action he's displayed unbelievably soft, strong hands around the rim.

We have a glut of 3-point marksman on our roster. We need someone to play "garbage man," play defense and clean the glass. This kid..."Marcel Boyce Lite"..."Louis Orr Jr."..."Baby Rodman"...whatever you want to call him...he looks like a offensive project. But defensively...rebounding-wise...he's way ahead of where Ibitayo or any similar player was at this time. I look forward to seeing him develop, and seeing how KD utilizes him from here-on-out in 2016/17. He's gonna be a electric difference-maker!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

When I first saw him I thought, "Kid seems like a really raw Ibitayo? Maybe, in 2-3 years, he can grow into a serviceable player if he puts on some weight and works hard."

Boyce was the last Zip ever drafted by the NBA (back when there was a 6th round). He was rail-thin, but could jump out of the gym, block shots... he was a great help defender. He was also a dangerous 3-point shooter. 

Obviously, Boyce's offensive side has no correlation to Olojakpoke. But just as Boyce relentlessly swatted balls back in the faces of future NBA players like Charles Smith and Roy Tarpley, 'poke's combination of athleticism, energy and anticipation is gonna do the same for the Zips over the next 3.8 seasons. Defensively, the kid is a "Freshman Boyce." 

Olojakpoke's hops are awesome, his help defense and shot-blocking is way better than the next best Zips' historical comparison - Quade Milum. He hustles...did anyone see the block he had last night where the loose ball was kicked-out to the right elbow ...and Olojakpoke sprinted instantly to the elbow and smothered the ball handler?

The kid has biceps the diameter of pixie stix, but in limited action he's displayed unbelievably soft, strong hands around the rim.

We have a glut of 3-point marksman on our roster. We need someone to play "garbage man," play defense and clean the glass. This kid..."Marcel Boyce Lite"..."Louis Orr Jr."..."Baby Rodman"...whatever you want to call him...he looks like a offensive project. But defensively...rebounding-wise...he's way ahead of where Ibitayo or any similar player was at this time. I look forward to seeing him develop, and seeing how KD utilizes him from here-on-out in 2016/17. He's gonna be a electric difference-maker!

Did you listen to KD's postgame interview ? E didn't even pick up a basketball until the 10th grade. Since he arrived here last year he has put on 20lbs and they hope to put 20 more on him in the next 2 years. I think he has more offensive potential than you do but only time will tell. 

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It really is amazing to see the difference of opinions when evaluating players. Personally, I think he looks like a very solid shot blocker. He has extremely long arms, is athletic, gets off the floor quickly and has good timing. 

My other opinion is that he is completely devoid of almost any basketball skills if you remove the shot blocking ability. He is a nice niche player to come in and provide some D, but that is just about it. I don't get the comparison to Deji at all because they play a different position and have completely different skills sets. Yes they were both raw, but overall, Deji was a much smoother athlete. I worry at times that E is going to trip over himself running up the floor. 

1 hour ago, Zipgrad01 said:

It really is amazing to see the difference of opinions when evaluating players. Personally, I think he looks like a very solid shot blocker. He has extremely long arms, is athletic, gets off the floor quickly and has good timing. 

My other opinion is that he is completely devoid of almost any basketball skills if you remove the shot blocking ability. He is a nice niche player to come in and provide some D, but that is just about it. I don't get the comparison to Deji at all because they play a different position and have completely different skills sets. Yes they were both raw, but overall, Deji was a much smoother athlete. I worry at times that E is going to trip over himself running up the floor. 

I will say this.  For well over a decade now, we've been clamoring for Keith to get some ATHLETES in here.  Back years ago, when Kent was the team we were chasing, we got "out-athleted" many times.  And many of those guys weren't good basketball players.  But they could run, block shots, tip in ORBs, jump over people to keep rebounds alive, etc.  These guys fill a void for us that's existed for years.  He still has time to develop basketball skills, and I bet that this staff works on that with him daily.  

Lets be honest.  If this guy was the whole package.  If he had that athleticism with some solid basketball skills, he'd probably be at somewhere more of Kentucky's level right now, and not Akron's.  His basketball skills are a project.  And by the way the coaches talk, they expected that situation with him.  

If I have any immediate concern with him right now, it's that he is incredibly thin and playing close to the basket all the time.  A guy like Marcel Boyce played a lot on the perimeter and didn't take that constant pounding.  That might hinder his ability to fill the role we need him to fill more than anything else.  I just don't think his "basketball skills" are keeping him from helping us in ways where we need his help.  

Edited by skip-zip

I don't know how Poke will develop where he is or will be offensively, but on the most basic level I just like that he looks like he's trying so damn hard all of the time.  In a world of lesser efforts, I love seeing an "all out guy."  I think that's what's getting on the floor ahead of some other more talented guys, like Utomi.

7 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

We have a glut of 3-point marksman on our roster. We need someone to play "garbage man," play defense and clean the glass. This kid..."Marcel Boyce Lite"..."Louis Orr Jr."..."Baby Rodman"...whatever you want to call him...he looks like a offensive project.

VERY interesting comment about Lou Orr Jr.  I can't recall seeing him play, but his son Chauncey (I bet some of you remember him playing for his dad at BGSU) has been in the islands playing D2 ball for a couple years and shows flashes of greatness, scoring mid-double figs for Hawaii Pacific U.  He's the best son of an NBA player on the team since Jerry Lucas' son played there in the 90s.

Edited by Z.I.P.

16 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I will say this.  For well over a decade now, we've been clamoring for Keith to get some ATHLETES in here.  Back years ago, when Kent was the team we were chasing, we got "out-athleted" many times.  And many of those guys weren't good basketball players.  But they could run, block shots, tip in ORBs, jump over people to keep rebounds alive, etc.  These guys fill a void for us that's existed for years.  He still has time to develop basketball skills, and I bet that this staff works on that with him daily.  

Lets be honest.  If this guy was the whole package.  If he had that athleticism with some solid basketball skills, he'd probably be at somewhere more of Kentucky's level right now, and not Akron's.  His basketball skills are a project.  And by the way the coaches talk, they expected that situation with him.  

If I have any immediate concern with him right now, it's that he is incredibly thin and playing close to the basket all the time.  A guy like Marcel Boyce played a lot on the perimeter and didn't take that constant pounding.  That might hinder his ability to fill the role we need him to fill more than anything else.  I just don't think his "basketball skills" are keeping him from helping us in ways where we need his help.  

I for one couldn't stan watching Deji play for his first 3 years. Couldn't dribble, awful set shot and zero court awareness.  I always assumed he'd transfer but he worked hard and turned himself into a player.  The one thing I never doubted was his athleticism.  

I kind of feel the same about Poke. Almost reminds me of Quade Milum. I think he'll become a player but it will take some time. 

Really liking Ivey. He reminds me of so many Kent tweener's that killed Akron in the past. Also like what I see out if TDM.  Noah's injury could be a blessing as it got him on the court for extended min and to play through frosh mistakes.  

Edited by gozips19
  • Like 1

On December 8, 2016 at 10:46 PM, gozips19 said:

I for one couldn't stan watching Deji play for his first 3 years. Couldn't dribble, awful set shot and zero court awareness.  I always assumed he'd transfer but he worked hard and turned himself into a player.  The one thing I never doubted was his athleticism.  

I kind of feel the same about Poke. Almost reminds me of Quade Milum. I think he'll become a player but it will take some time. 

Really liking Ivey. He reminds me of so many Kent tweener's that killed Akron in the past. Also like what I see out if TDM.  Noah's injury could be a blessing as it got him on the court for extended min and to play through frosh mistakes.  

As bad a Deji was those first few years, I always saw the potential. Here... Not so much. Like I said.... Good rim defender and garbage offensive player under the rim. That's about all we have here.