Zips @ #8 Gonzaga 12/10/16

kreed5120

Again, nice job digging up the info. Kreed.

I don't have time to go look at all of that, but I can see the difference in the two counties from your description.  It fits with everything I've been told all along, that there is just no source of money to get this done.  I guess we need to build more hotels :D  But even with something like a bed tax (which primarily brings in revenue from people who live outside the area), would our county officials ever feel as if an Arena is worthy of that expense?  Who knows.  

With what I know, here's how I am guessing this will all go down, in this order.....

1) JAR renovations

2) The University looking at the their own new arena about a decade or so down the road.

3) The city will look at building an arena.  

The only recent events that might swap items 2 and 3 is if this new mayor continues on his path of wanting to work more with the University.  

So, back to the subject at hand: An Akron vs. Gonzaga home game anytime soon would need the Cleveland arena.  And we'll need a MAC Championship or better overall turnout to make that trip for one game if it ever has any potential of happening.  

On 12/11/2016 at 9:37 AM, NWAkron said:

I love the Zips no matter their record and I admittedly don't know much about the mechanics of the game.  Just a long time fan who schedules the winter months around the games.

That being said, Dambrot cant will these guys to make 3s or free throws.   And he can't seem to make Big Dog condition himself.   The only way a team like Akron or any other MAC team can win one of these games or win a NCAA tourney game is to get hot from 3 and go 90% at the foul line.  It's hard for me to blame the coach when I think the level of talent is baked in to these players from day 1.  They may improve here or there and may learn to hustle more on defense, but mid major teams aren't going to sneak some amazing prospect into their program in this day and age.

Meh we have missed the boat on two local players who certainly would have been program changers in Nance and McCollum in recent years.. They are out there, you just need to find them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Exactly.  Plus, how do you put a blanket on all of these local kids and imply that we "let them get away"?  There's different circumstances with all of them, including that Nance went to play for a coach who coached his dad.  

I agree. McCollum might be the only one "we let get away." I say this because he is on record as saying he had his heart set on playing for the Zips and was disappointed he wasn't offered.

23 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Exactly.  Plus, how do you put a blanket on all of these local kids and imply that we "let them get away"?  There's different circumstances with all of them, including that Nance went to play for a coach who coached his dad.  

Meh, maybe. The fact is Dambrot didn't offer any of them. Nor did Kent, CSU, OU, etc. That makes me think they all missed. It doesn't take anything to simply offer the kids. Same with Graves. There is no excuse for not trying.

7 hours ago, LZIp said:

Meh, maybe. The fact is Dambrot didn't offer any of them. Nor did Kent, CSU, OU, etc. That makes me think they all missed. It doesn't take anything to simply offer the kids. Same with Graves. There is no excuse for not trying.

7 hours ago, Sportsjunkie330 said:

Yes, but you also can't assume that just because they go to St V that they are going to go to UA and you don't have to make an effort to the recruiting process. The kids want to go through the process.

We offered Graves.

• 1 month later...

Zags look to be heading to 22-0 and a possible #1 ranking and have beaten 17 of their foes by 20 or more. The group they have not include Akron, Arizona, Iowa State and Florida. Of course I also noticed they did not play a single non-conference game away from home. They really are acting like a high major. :-) So the Zips may have played a team ranked #1 at some point during the season the past two years.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...