Zips @ #8 Gonzaga 12/10/16

kreed5120

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Skip enjoys comparing apples to oranges 

Correct.  I don't have an equal comparison.

Akron - 26,000 students

Gonzaga - 7,000 students

I don't remember if you were a part of the "students don't have time to go to athletic events in today's era" argument.  But if you were, feel free to repeat it again here.  

Edited by skip-zip

7 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Correct.  I don't have an equal comparison.

Akron - 26,000 students

Gonzaga - 7,000 students

I don't remember if you were a part of the "students don't have time to go to athletic events in today's era" argument.  But if you were, feel free to repeat it again here.  

How many of those 26,000 Akron students live on campus?  How many of those 7,000 Gonzaga students are Washington Huskies fans?  Apples and Oranges, indeed.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

If you want what Gonzaga has, we need to become nationally relevant.

I agree with you 100% on this.  My post was related to those who come on here contending that students don't have time to attend athletic events today. 

It sure seems like Gonzaga (the size of a large high school) has plenty of students who aren't buried in studies and working 3 jobs on game nights.  

Edit: They actually only have 5,000 undergrads. 

Edited by skip-zip

19 minutes ago, K92 said:

How many of those 26,000 Akron students live on campus?  How many of those 7,000 Gonzaga students are Washington Huskies fans?  

That's funny.  It further reminds me just how numerous and ridiculous some of excuses have become. 

But lets add this anyway.  Spokane Washington is just as large as Akron, so I would assume that they have their share of commuters as well.  

Meh...we have the same thing at Akron. Ok, instead of tents it's cardboard boxes...and instead of students it's the homeless...but other than that, we got it.

I like the Zags Marketing angle of placing a couple cute girls in tents to draw male students to the games. I bet that would work in Akron too.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I like the Zags Marketing angle of placing a couple cute girls in tents to draw male students to the games. I bet that would work in Akron too.

Good one.  Should have seen the cute girls giving out the order of tent numbers.  A couple of the GU freshmen were having lunch across the street when the tweet went out announcing the "secret" location.     

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That's funny.  It further reminds me just how numerous and ridiculous some of excuses have become. 

But lets add this anyway.  Spokane Washington is just as large as Akron, so I would assume that they have their share of commuters as well.  

I'm not making excuses.  You act like there are 26,000 Zips fans too lazy to walk down to the JAR.  That is not the case.

14 minutes ago, GoZags said:

Good one.  Should have seen the cute girls giving out the order of tent numbers.  A couple of the GU freshmen were having lunch across the street when the tweet went out announcing the "secret" location.     

Pretty cool stuff. I think every Zips fan that posts on this board has differing opinions on coaches, players, marketing, conferences, scheduling... but everyone is united in their common dream to see that level of student/fan enthusiasm for Akron's athletic programs. 

12 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Debating how many of those 26,000 are indeed "too lazy" would certainly require it's own thread.  

Laziness has nothing to do with it. Apathy is the problem. In their minds there are countless better ways of spending their time over watching some basketball team that isn't good enough to get its highlights shown on Sportscenter.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, GoZags said:

Pre Game media thread on GU's Board:

Not only the links to the pre-game stories, but some "comments" as well --- one stop shopping.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?58306-Akron-Pre-Game-Media

GoZags, let me ask you the Q's people here might not have thought of:

1.  How do folks in Zagland generally feel about the relative strength of this year's team to the past?  I personally feel the team's balance and depth is as strong as any you have put on the floor.  Is there a feeling that "This is the Year" -- that you finally break through and make the trip to Phoenix (that's where former Akron administrator Dawn Rogers is directing the NCAA Final Four in April, Zips fans)?

2.  How often do you see UW or Wazzou gear in the stands at your games, and how are those wearers treated?  We need assistance in weeding Suckeye gear from our venues.

1 hour ago, Z.I.P. said:

GoZags, let me ask you the Q's people here might not have thought of:

1.  How do folks in Zagland generally feel about the relative strength of this year's team to the past?  I personally feel the team's balance and depth is as strong as any you have put on the floor.  Is there a feeling that "This is the Year" -- that you finally break through and make the trip to Phoenix (that's where former Akron administrator Dawn Rogers is directing the NCAA Final Four in April, Zips fans)?

2.  How often do you see UW or Wazzou gear in the stands at your games, and how are those wearers treated?  We need assistance in weeding Suckeye gear from our venues.

I'd say there's cautious optimism that "this" could be the year.  The depth and balance are key.  Through 7 games, the Zags had 7 different leading scorers.  And with 5 of the 8 man rotation seeing the floor for the first time this year (for the Zags) the feeling is they'll be a lot better in February and March (and hopefully April) than they are now.

As for the WAZZU and UDub gear ... it's not a problem.  When GU plays the Koogs at home, however, there ARE GU season  ticketholders that come in their WAZZU gear ... as that is their first priority.  When the new building opened 12 years ago, some Spokane businesses got their foot in the door.  WSU is in Eastern Washington (as is Gonzaga) and that is WSU's back yard.  Many longtime Koog (and Husky) fans for that matter are envious of GU's basketball success.