Zips vs. Marshall- 12/17/16

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, roopride said:

I have several friends always interested in my tickets.

You're thinking that there has to be some way to connect people like your friends, with the hundreds of ticket that aren't used on at every game.  You tech savvy people ought to find a way to come up with a page where companies and people can offer their tickets, and those seeking them can contact them.  But, I doubt that the people who don't use their tickets would report it ahead of time.  

Yes, we certainly have services called "ticket brokers".  But I wonder how many people like your friends are actually looking to BUY tickets?

A Facebook page would probably be the best for something like that, however, like you said I doubt people would go through that type of hassle to give their tickets to somebody they don't know. I have to imagine any of the 1,000 or so spectators sitting on the bleachers would appreciate the seat upgrade, assuming there are enough seats to accommodate the number of people they are with.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

At  the 10:00 mark of the first half they should allow GA to move to empty lower bowl seats.

I've seen them do this at some of the biggest college basketball schools in the country.  I've yet to have someone give an explanation for why we can't do it here.  

I'd love to have other fans come down and sit by me, especially if they are into the game.  Instead, I look around at empty seats and/or people sitting in their seats the entire game.  I don't know.  Maybe they don't want to disturb the really old people who might want to nap during the games.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Taking the topic completely off the rails, I saw Jay Leno (funniest stand-up I've ever seen, Tonight Show is nothing like his stage show) at the Akron Civic Theater in 1982. We thought the $8 seats were a little pricy so we bought $6 seats further back. Couldn't have been more than 200 people at the show so he moved everyone up close to the stage so we sat in the second row. Maybe its just an Akron thing people don't like to go to things. :)

35 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Taking the topic completely off the rails, I saw Jay Leno (funniest stand-up I've ever seen, Tonight Show is nothing like his stage show) at the Akron Civic Theater in 1982. We thought the $8 seats were a little pricy so we bought $6 seats further back. Couldn't have been more than 200 people at the show so he moved everyone up close to the stage so we sat in the second row. Maybe its just an Akron thing people don't like to go to things. :)

Have you been to a Browns or Indians (excluding playoffs) game lately? It's clearly not just an "Akron thing". Browns are kind of understandable as who wants to sit in the frigid cold to watch an 0-however many team, but the fact Indians couldn't come close to selling out August and September games when the team was a near playoff lock was pretty pathetic.

1 hour ago, zippyfan34 said:

I think I remember them doing this once maybe 5ish years ago due to a snow/ice storm that may have been on TV there had to be under 1,000 in actual attendance they let people move down but I could be mistaken.  Anyone else recall this?

I also remember them doing it for a CTI or some other post season tournament game many years ago where we had a home game when the lower bowl was only 20% filled.  (I remember it because I bought lower bowl seats in advance and felt like I should have bought general admission when they told everyone to move up prior to the game.)  Because the lower bowl was so empty it was a good move for this game.  However, I remember the Zips played like crap and we lost to a bad team and did not advance in the tournament.  Not sure this is a practical idea when the lower bowl is three quarters full as it does create a few minutes of confusion as people run down for a limited number of better seats during the middle of the first half.  It may be problematic with some season ticket holders who are paying extra money to sit down low and they open it up to everyone.  Also, it may create problems if a season ticket holder shows up late for a game because of some other commitment and finds somebody else in their sear. You do not see the professional teams doing it for that reason.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, skip-zip said:

You're thinking that there has to be some way to connect people like your friends, with the hundreds of ticket that aren't used on at every game.  You tech savvy people ought to find a way to come up with a page where companies and people can offer their tickets, and those seeking them can contact them.  But, I doubt that the people who don't use their tickets would report it ahead of time.  

Yes, we certainly have services called "ticket brokers".  But I wonder how many people like your friends are actually looking to BUY tickets?

Skip, the University of Hawaii has had a system for several years -- on their internal ticket website -- that allows people to sell game tickets they do not intend to use.  The system was adapted from what many other universities were doing.  It's probably been in use for 10 years now, though I've never used it myself.  There must be a way for the U of A to incorporate something like this, if they just try.  Are they willing and interested, is the question.

5 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Skip, the University of Hawaii has had a system for several years -- on their internal ticket website -- that allows people to sell game tickets they do not intend to use.  The system was adapted from what many other universities were doing.  It's probably been in use for 10 years now, though I've never used it myself.  There must be a way for the U of A to incorporate something like this, if they just try.  Are they willing and interested, is the question.

Paraphrasing an old philosophical thought - "If a ticket is available on-line, and no one wants it, does it make a sale?"

Other than the Kent game, no one wants to buy extra Zips tickets. 

• Like 1

We had a Marshall fan on here wanting to buy 7 lower bowl seats. The market would be small and sporadic, but the fact you can't buy single game lower bowl tickets makes me think an OU fan, a UA alum from out of town, or someone that couldn't justify spending $500+ for a season package might be willing to pay $25 for a quality seat for the 1-2 games they go to per year.

Edit: GA tickets will always pretty much be worthless.

Edited by kreed5120

I missed the Marshall game due to the busy holiday season.  I wondered why nobody brought up the memorable -- for the wrong reasons, which were part of the Hipsher Era -- game the two teams played on March 1, 2002 (had to look it up in the NCAA recordbook).  That Saturday night, in front of a (by today's standards) large crowd of guessing around 4500, Marshall beat the Zips on the single-handed performance of guard Ronald Blackshear.  Blackshear came within one of tieing the all-time record for three-point baskets in a game, by making 14 treys -- and set the NCAA mark with 11 consecutive made three-point field goals, as the Herd came from behind to beat the Zips something like 102-87 (?).  We did have a strong finish to the first-half and led by -- guessing here -- 56-52 at halftime.  That was the final regular season game, and the team went to WMU and won a MAC tournament play-in game, before being beaten at the Q by BGSU.

Memories...

There's been a few select tv games over the years where they allowed fans to fill in the bowl to look better on tv. I've been told by the ticketing office that they don't do this consistently because season ticket holders in the bowl complain and feel cheated after they paid good money for their good seats.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Sure.  That's one of my questions too.  

I'm guessing in your scenario, since it's on the school's website, that the school is actually buying them back and reselling?  Or, pocketing some of the revenue or a fee?  If it's simply just an exchange between a ticket holder and another fan, doesn't the school stand to lose a lot of money from box office revenue if people are obtaining their tickets from a ticket pool of already-purchased tickets?

16 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Sure.  That's one of my questions too.  

I'm guessing in your scenario, since it's on the school's website, that the school is actually buying them back and reselling?  Or, pocketing some of the revenue or a fee?  If it's simply just an exchange between a ticket holder and another fan, doesn't the school stand to lose a lot of money from box office revenue if people are obtaining their tickets from a ticket pool of already-purchased tickets?

This basically already exists. The "purchase tickets" link on GoZips.com takes you directly to ticketmaster (who the U sells their tickets through). Anyone can buy, sell, or transfer tickets through ticketmaster.

10 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Have you been to a Browns or Indians (excluding playoffs) game lately? It's clearly not just an "Akron thing". Browns are kind of understandable as who wants to sit in the frigid cold to watch an 0-however many team, but the fact Indians couldn't come close to selling out August and September games when the team was a near playoff lock was pretty pathetic.

Tweet from Marla Ridenhour from tonight's CAVS game in Milwaukee:

P.s. the AKRON Beacon Journal can send Marla to Milwaukee for a regular season CAVS game but can't send GT to Youngstown for the Zips' season opener?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Tweet from Marla Ridenhour from tonight's CAVS game in Milwaukee:

P.s. the AKRON Beacon Journal can send Marla to Milwaukee for a regular season CAVS game but can't send GT to Youngstown for the Zips' season opener?

With gas prices back up over $2 now, I wonder if  they'll send him to Kent?

• Like 2

I once asked GT if he was coming to Hawai'i for the (2013) Diamond Head Classic.  His response was that in a past job he was required to travel to road games, and he made sure when he took the BJ job that that wasn't in the plans.  He does NOT like to travel away from family and home.  Fair enough.  But what does it say about his employer, if they have no traveling reporter for the #HomeTeam.  Well, that's always been their priority.