2017 zips in pro leagues - Domestic and International

...You don’t have to follow college soccer at all to know the impact the University of Akron has had in Major League Soccer in recent years.

Just rattling off a short list of names you’d recognize will tell you everything you need to know. Names like DeAndre Yedlin, Darlington Nagbe, Wil Trapp, Scott Caldwell, Darren Mattocks, Zarek Valentin and Kofi Sarkodie, who have all found success since entering the league dating back to 2010....

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

one of our all time favorites....posted this on his instagram page

Ampai looks like he is featured in a Thailand magazine

the first very highly ranked junior player......to believe in Caleb's vision

Ampai committed....then Blair Gavin....then the superstars started coming to Akron

We can never thank you enough, Ampai

and we got to see a national championship and ampai got to put a blue streak in Caleb's hair

Glad to see Ampai happy and doing well

Very nice..Player of the Month. I recognize Ampai's 2010 Senior Class Award and the Zips' 2010 NCAA D1 Men's Soccer National Champions Trophy pictured at the bottom of the inset on the right.

I am very happy for Victor Souto.  He is in the starting lineup today for the first preseason game for the Pittsburgh Riverhounds.

The Riverhounds returned their top 3 holding midfielders from last year's team.

Victor is working hard and I know that all zip soccer fans are happy to see Victor in the starting lineup.

The Riverhounds have another game tomorrow morning so their coach has said that each of the 20 or so healthy players would only play 45 minutes in each game.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2017 at 11:58 AM, TennZip said:

I am very happy for Victor Souto.  He is in the starting lineup today for the first preseason game for the Pittsburgh Riverhounds.

The Riverhounds returned their top 3 holding midfielders from last year's team.

Victor is working hard and I know that all zip soccer fans are happy to see Victor in the starting lineup.

The Riverhounds have another game tomorrow morning so their coach has said that each of the 20 or so healthy players would only play 45 minutes in each game.

In the second half lineup for the Riverhounds Brad Ruhaak is starting at outside back.  He's listed as a trialist.

Edited by ZipsBurgh

http://www.chicago-fire.com/post/2017/02/20/chicago-fire-training-camp-update-february-20

CHICAGO FIRE TRAINING CAMP ROSTER
In addition to current signed players and unsigned 2017 MLS SuperDraft picks Brandt Bronico and Matej Dekovic, trialist Chad Barson has joined the training camp roster.

Chicago Fire Training Camp Roster (as of Feb. 20, 2017):

Goalkeepers: Jorge Bava, Stefan Cleveland, Matt Lampson
Defenders: Chad Barson^, Jonathan Campbell, Matej Dekovic*, Patrick Doody, Michael Harrington, Johan Kappelhof, Joao Meira, Brandon Vincent
Midfielders: David Accam, Arturo Alvarez, Brandt Bronico*, Drew Conner, Collin Fernandez, John Goossens, Daniel Johnson, Juninho, Dax McCarty, Djordje Mihailovic, Matt Polster
Forwards: David Arshakyan, Joey Calistri, Michael de Leeuw, Nemanja Nikolic, Luis Solignac

*Unsigned SuperDraft Pick
^Trialist

MLS 2017 Season starts this weekend. Matches on television with former Zips involved include:

Friday, 3/3/17, Portland Timbers v Minnesota United, 9:30 pm ET, FS1

Saturday, 3/4/17, Columbus Crew v Chicago Fire, 2:00 pm ET, Spectrum Sports (was TWC Sports)

Sunday, 3/5/17, Orlando v NYCFC, 5 pm ET, ESPN

For anyone who may have read the post that I put up about Chad Barson not being retained by Chicago Fire, including the link to the CSN Chicago article...at this time, it is not true. Decision has not yet been made is my understanding. Appears the writer may have made an assumption.

Edited by Zip_ME87

8 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

For anyone who may have read the post that I put up about Chad Barson not being retained by Chicago Fire, including the link to the CSN Chicago article...at this time, it is not true. Decision has not yet been made is my understanding. Appears the writer may have made an assumption.

Chad Barson knocking away that Louisville goal attempt in front of an otherwise empty net may be my favorite Zips sports memory of all time. Hope he catches on with someone.

• Like 1

DeAndre Yedlin's team, Newcastle United came back from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Brighton 2-1 and take back the lead of the EFL Championship.

Edited by Zip_ME87