2017 zips in pro leagues - Domestic and International

To Hell with those haters.  

Mattocks did very well just to partially control that difficult cross with his right foot. 

Did he intentionally set up the left-footed volley?  Probably not.  But he obviously adjusted extraordinarily well.

Kudos to @TennZip for pointing me to this article...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/07/10/boehm-future-finally-now-darren-mattocks

Great article. Favorite sentence: "He was the leading scorer for Caleb Porter’s 2010 Akron Zips side as they won the NCAA national championship."

Edited by Zip_ME87

thought this article might interest fans of AN10....now known as AN24

http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2017/07/11/unions-class-of-2017-looks-good-at-the-halfway-mark/

Marcus Epps & Adam Najem: Two other rookies who’ve earned playing time, Stewart actively maneuvered to acquire both Epps and Najem in what appear to be savvy moves. Epps flashed speed down the wing and a certain fearlessness, earning minutes at the wing in Fabian Herbers’ absence. Najem, meanwhile, looks like the sort of creative central midfielder that the Union sorely lacks. Though they both may contribute little this year, these two may have big futures as the team looks to grow through youth.

Rookie winger Jonathan Lewis will make his first start for NYCFC today as they take on the Chicago Fire at Yankee Stadium. Lewis last featured for NYCFC back in June, playing the final 12 minutes of their late comeback victory over the Philadelphia Union and causing plenty of trouble down the flank.

The SuperDraft pick out of Akron is part of a lineup that features three changes made by Head Coach Patrick Vieira for this double game week. ...

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

...A ten-man New York City side found themselves deadlocked at zeroes with the Fire at halftime, reliant upon the pace and relentlessness of Lewis and captain David Villa to stretch the Chicago defense and break the mounting pressure. 

A flurry of goals would come just a few minutes into the second frame, including two for the good guys. Lewis found himself directly involved in one, and his speed on the wings helped create the other. Through his 72 minutes, the rookie provided a release valve for the pressure the Fire were able to create by virtue of their extra man, made quick decisions on the ball, and popped up in plenty of dangerous spots.  ...

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zip_ME87 said:

...A ten-man New York City side found themselves deadlocked at zeroes with the Fire at halftime, reliant upon the pace and relentlessness of Lewis and captain David Villa to stretch the Chicago defense and break the mounting pressure. 

A flurry of goals would come just a few minutes into the second frame, including two for the good guys. Lewis found himself directly involved in one, and his speed on the wings helped create the other. Through his 72 minutes, the rookie provided a release valve for the pressure the Fire were able to create by virtue of their extra man, made quick decisions on the ball, and popped up in plenty of dangerous spots.  ...

great article.....glad to see Jonathan doing so well

http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2017/07/25/five-thoughts-on-the-union-the-universe-and-everything/

Najem: Najem put himself in decent positions, demonstrated good comfort on the ball, and displayed pretty good passing vision on a few occasions, though he didn’t always make the right decisions. On the night, he completed 87 percent of his passes, with two key passes leading to shots. Not bad, but not spectacular either. That said, it’s hard to measure his quality based on this performance because Jay Simpson spent the night gumming up the central channels with a static lack of movement. Like Epps, Najem showed enough to warrant more minutes and make you wonder what he could do when paired with a better attacking group around him.

• Like 1

With New England's 3-0 win last night and 2 assists for Scott Caldwell, I couldn't help but post, probably re-post, this interview from November 2016. Around 11:30 in they reminisce about Scotty's time at Akron.

http://triblive.com/sports/riverhounds/12576635-74/riverhounds-stay-in-playoff-race-with-draw-vs-richmond

Okai calmly finished into the left side of the net after substitute Victor Souto picked him out with a perfect pass rolled on the turf into the box.

“Victor has great vision, and I knew he was going to try to slip me in,” Okai said. “When he did that, I got the touch on it, and I knew I had to do everything I can to get the ball in.”

• Like 1