2017 zips in pro leagues - Domestic and International

23 minutes ago, TennZip said:

I believe it will also be streamed on ussoccer.com...so, anyone in the USA should be able to watch.

EDIT: Now that I opened the link, I see that FC Cincy has a link to the stream: fccincinnati.com/match-stream

Edited by Zip_ME87

15 hours ago, johnnyzip84 said:

The Suburbanite has a good article on Evan Bush's relatively long path to MLS.

Great find johnnyzip84. Great story about Evan, and this stood out to me, too...

Then there’s Bush’s other family, the Akron soccer version. Numerous former UA players and coaches, including current U.S. Men’s National Team star Darlginton Nagbe, former head coach Caleb Porter and numerous others, have played or coached in MLS in recent years and according to Bush, the closeness of ex-Zips is known around the league.

“The guys I went to school with, we have a great bond. In a lot of the circles in MLS, they talk about how tight the Akron guys are,” Bush said. “It was a running joke that it’s almost a cult for a few years.

Many members of the group stay in touch and when Montreal played Portland, Bush met former teammate and current Portland assistant coach Pablo Moreira and Porter for dinner and also met up with Nagbe. It’s all part of a long and wandering journey that has stretched across years and miles and led the Cleveland native where he wants to be, tending goal for an MLS team and supporting his family playing the sport he loves.

Larry Caldwell commented to me once that all of his kids played NCAA soccer, but none of them had the "family" experience that Scotty had at Akron. He felt that our team and our fans had the closest relationship to each other that he had ever experienced.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/08/24/parchman-5-young-players-who-will-impact-2017-mls-playoff-race

Jonathan Lewis (NYCFC)

Had you been sleeping on Jonathan Lewis prior to this week, those moments are most likely dead and buried underground.

Lewis was perhaps the least widely known of the Generation adidas class that splashed into the league in 2017. He’d played just a year of college ball at Akron, and while his numbers were stellar – particularly on the distributive end with 10 assists – his profile and the fact that he was added late contributed to make him a bit of a shadow. And the fact that Patrick Vieira played him 23 minutes of the first available 1,800 of the season seemed to echo those wonders. ...

Adam Najem and Victor Souto matched up for the first time as pros on Saturday night as pros.  Hopefully, they will both have long, healthy careers.

Victor's team (the riverhounds) defeated Bethlehem 3-2

Adam completed 29 of 37 passes and had 1 interception.

Victor completed 40 of 49 passes ; had 4 interceptions and had 3 clearances out of the box

steel.jpg

36 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

What a great picture!  Almost frameable...

It is always good to see former zips match up.   Victor and Adam are both super hard workers......and I am rooting for both to become fixtures on MLS teams.

http://www.uslsoccer.com/news_article/show/828091?referrer_id=2333971

Congratulations again to both Jake Fenlason and Victor Souto.  Jake and Victor were both named to the 18 man USL team of the week.

Jake was picked as the best goalie of the week in the 30 team league.

Victor did not have a goal or assist....which is normally a prerequisite for making the team of the week....but the coaches must have been very impressed by his interceptions, clearances and excellent passing

Great to see former zips.....doing so well....