2017 zips in pro leagues - Domestic and International

In the mid 1980s, Simon Spelling was assistant coach/graduate assistant, not sure exactly which, under HC Steve Parker. 

Point is that he was a very fiery and very effective coach.

Those were Akron's best teams, outside the Porter years.

And as a player in the early 1980s, Simon Spelling is still the standard to which Zips' central defenders are judged.

13 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

In the mid 1980s, Simon Spelling was assistant coach/graduate assistant, not sure exactly which, under HC Steve Parker. 

And as a player in the early 1980s, Simon Spelling is still the standard to which Zips' central defenders are judged.

fknbuflobo....you will love this link....if you have not seen recently....Simon Spelling is also part of a select group...2 time all americans....joining the great Darlington Nagbe, Scott Caldwell, Anthony Ampaipitakwong, the Nanchoffs...and a few others

http://www.gozips.com/sports/2017/5/31/akron-tradition.aspx

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fknbuflobo said:

And in the 2009 and 2010 season and I believe 2011 as well, when 1350 AM would broadcast the matches, Simon would do color with Frenchy as the commentator.  It was wonderful to listen to him describe plays, flow,  pace, and past experiences as a player and a coach.  

Many thanks to Julia Trapp for posting this and Dave Sterling for picking up on it. Great picture of one of Zips Men's Soccer's #6 greats!!!

Edited by Zip_ME87

20 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

From that little boy in the stands to the current Captain of CrewSC!

That is a politcal statement waiting to happen.  This is a once in a lifetime PR opportunity.  Want to keep the Crew?  Post that picture on a billboard along one of the highways.  You should at least post that on BigSoccer.com.

40 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

That is a politcal statement waiting to happen.  This is a once in a lifetime PR opportunity.  Want to keep the Crew?  Post that picture on a billboard along one of the highways.  You should at least post that on BigSoccer.com.

It's not my picture to post. Not sure I should have even posted it here, but it was already on twitter.

Congrats to former Zip Saad Abdul-Salaam, whose 2018 option was picked up by Sporting KC.

https://www.sportingkc.com/post/2017/11/27/sporting-kc-exercises-options-11-players-ahead-2018-mls-season

Edited by Zip_ME87

I missed this back on November 16th...Montreal exercised their 2018 option for former Zip Evan Bush...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/11/16/montreal-impact-announce-roster-moves-will-extend-blerim-dzemailis-loan

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

About 4 months late, but still worth posting. I missed that Chad and his team won a championship last Fall in Sweden.

https://www.ninetyplussoccer.com/news/2017/10/18/ninety-plus-pro-chad-barson-wins-title