2017 zips in pro leagues - Domestic and International

Riverhounds press release......adds another impressive stat for Victor's excellent performance against Adam Najem and Bethlehem

10 possessions gained

http://www.riverhounds.com/news_article/show/828136?referrer_id=2869741

In addition, midfielder Victor Souto was named to the Team of the Week bench for his performance last weekend. Souto starred defensively tying for the team-lead with 10 possessions gained and two tackles, as well as leading the club with four interceptions.

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

Double duty - double vision tonight as I will be watching Darlington vs. Costa Rica and the Zips vs. Washington on ESPN3!  My neck's gonna get sore turning between screens!

Enjoy! Wish I could watch both, but I will be at First Energy Stadium Cub Cadet Field. No team (any level, any sport) comes before Zips Mens Soccer. I have the DVR set for the USMNT v Costa Rica match up. Go Zips! Go USA!

On 9/1/2017 at 9:52 AM, Zip_ME87 said:

Enjoy! Wish I could watch both, but I will be at First Energy Stadium Cub Cadet Field. No team (any level, any sport) comes before Zips Mens Soccer. I have the DVR set for the USMNT v Costa Rica match up. Go Zips! Go USA!

I let Zip_ME87 "shame me" B) into going to the match Friday instead of staying home and watching on ESPN3 and the USMNT match vs. Costa Rica....THANK YOU!  I am glad I didn't see any of that crappy match from NJ, and happy to have seen a great Zips match against Washington....brought you all back a few fireworks!

image.png

• Like 1

@ZipsVoice glad you made it to the Zips' match. Didn't mean to "shame" you into it, but glad I helped convince you. Glad to have had you in the crowd even though we haven't met (at least not to my knowledge) and didn't know you were there. Fun match...so much better in person.

• Thanks 1

Jonathan Lewis...

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/09/06/jonathan-lewis-does-work-between-moments-armchair-analyst?autoplay=true

Is it me, or is the ball out of bounds on the play where the commentator says "look here as he takes a touch and then skins Saad Abdul-Salaam..."?

http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2017/09/16/match-report-bethlehem-steel-2-2-louisville-city/

Adam Najem and Derrick Jones both impressed in midfield. While the Union slog through another average season, Najem and Jones look like they’ll have long-term roles to play with the first team sooner rather than later.

I received an email from the Seattle Sounders with info about their S-2 reserves game vs Arizona Rising which features Didier Drogba and Shawn Right-Phillips.  Looked at the S-2 roster and saw this.  https://www.soundersfc.com/s2/riley-grant.  Riley left Akron after his freshman year, but was a strong prospect.

Edited by Z.I.P.

Okay, had a few Titos so I'm gonna share...besidesmy love of Zips soccer, I have been a huge Gooner since The Invincibles days.  I've also been a Cleveland Browns fan.  When the Browns were going through all the ineptitude of the Lerner days and they traded Trent Richardson, I was in a bar in Atlanta, and while whining to the bartender about the trade he convinced me to switch to be an Atlanta Falcon fan.  I wandered across the street to the Wal-mart and bought a Falcon hat and a key fob.  The Falcons promptly lost 5 straight games.  This year I became so f-ing enraged with Arsene Wenger returning and Stan Kroenke's ineptitude as an owner, I decided to become a Liverpool fan.  Bought a training jersey and a scarf...they promptly gave up a Champions League draw to Sevilla and lost 5 nil to Man City...go figure.  Would love to see Mike instead of Wenger...I'd become a Gooner again in a heartbeat....instead, "I'll never walk alone...."

17 minutes ago, TennZip said:

Great article. Grabbed me with the first sentence...

Fresh off of winning a national championship under Caleb Porter at Akron, the Vancouver Whitecaps selected Darren Mattocks with the second pick in the 2012 SuperDraft.

Never a doubt about this, either...

“There’s no secret I’m a big fan of Darren Mattocks,” Porter said following the Timbers' 3-0 shellacking of Orlando City on Sunday night.

If I recall correctly, Caleb traveled to Jamaica to find Darren for the Zips.

Got to watch the Honey Badger play today vs. Liverpool, as Newcastle drew at home 1-1.  DeAndre played a solid match, and really seemed like the point of all attacks.  Commentator Arlo White complimented Yedlin when he was discussing striker Salah – "He is undoubtedly quick, as are three other Liverpool players, but none would be faster in the 100 yard dash than DeAndre Yedlin."

DY seemed to be in a more central midfield or defensive mid position today rather than fullback.  Lee Dixon, analyst also noted that Yedlin was selected for the U.S. squad for the final qualifiers, and that he was "desperately needed for the crucial matches".

Edited by ZipsVoice
corrected text
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Got to watch the Honey Badger play today vs. Liverpool, as Newcastle drew at home 1-1.  DeAndre played a solid match, and really seemed like the point of all attacks.  Commentator Arlo White complimented Yedlin when he was discussing striker Salah – "He is undoubtedly quick, as are three other Liverpool players, but none would be faster in the 100 yard dash than DeAndre Yedlin."

DY seemed to be in a more central midfield or defensive mid position today rather than fullback.  Lee Dixon, analyst also noted that Yedlin was selected for the U.S. squad for the final qualifiers, and that he was "desperately needed for the crucial matches".

So, can we expect to see D.A. in Arena's starting lineup on Friday vs Panama'?