Zips @ Central Michigan (Keene to NBA draft)

Dr Z

Too bad this game isn't at the JAR, I would have liked to seen The Scoring Machine play in person. 

Two Texas players go at it, Antino vs The Scoring Machine Keene. cowboy.gif

Will Marcus Keene Be College Basketball's 1st 30 PPG Scorer in 20 Years? by Kerry Miller

...after the awe subsided from Keene's recent 40 burger against Green Bay—his fifth consecutive game with at least 31 points and his eighth time reaching 30 in just 10 games—the college hoops nation is left wondering whether Central Michigan's 5'9" lead guard can do that which hasn't been done in two decades.It's painfully easy to dismiss Keene's scoring as an early anomaly. Even CMU head coach Keno Davis thinks it's unlikely he keeps it up, telling Bleacher Report this week: "He is going to see more and more attention. We don't expect his numbers to be able to sustain where they're at...

All Hail Marcus Keene by Jordan Rinard

...the big stories out of the MAC so far this season has been the play of Central Michigan’s Marcus Keene, as he has established himself as one of the top scorers in the nation with 30.8 points per game. With a 25-point performance against a solid Illinois team on Saturday in a losing effort, Keene is putting the team on his back and makes CMU a very dangerous team once it enters MAC play...

Check out the spin move and the three at the end of the game (5:40). :wacko:

Kid averaged 8.7 ppg as a freshman at Moanalua HS, 1/4 mile from my house.  If I'd known, I'd have jumped on the recruiting bandwagon.  But, he probably wouldn't have been KD's kind of player, as shown in the non-recruiting of Evan Payne.  Still can't get over that one ;)

10 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Kid averaged 8.7 ppg as a freshman at Moanalua HS, 1/4 mile from my house.  If I'd known, I'd have jumped on the recruiting bandwagon.  But, he probably wouldn't have been KD's kind of player, as shown in the non-recruiting of Evan Payne.  Still can't get over that one ;)

The list of local recruits we've passed/missed on that I  can't get over seems to grow every year.

• 2 weeks later...
On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 2:09 AM, Dr Z said:

Too bad this game isn't at the JAR, I would have liked to seen The Scoring Machine play in person. 

Two Texas players go at it, Antino vs The Scoring Machine Keene. cowboy.gif

Keene was a military kid (Air Force, I think).  He spent three years in San Antonio after 7th-9th grade in Hawai'i.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

They are just really undersized and not just with their 2 5'9 guards. Their top 2 minute earners in the post come in at 6'6 and 6'8. They need their shots to be falling in order to stay competitive.

This will be a YUGE difference compared to going at it with WMU's size on the perimeter.  

We'll see how CMU performs on the court.  But on paper, this kind of information usually equates to a good matchup for us right now.  I'll hope for 20+ from the Big Dog, unless he's getting hammered on every shot, like he did on Friday.  

48 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

This will be a YUGE difference compared to going at it with WMU's size on the perimeter.  

We'll see how CMU performs on the court.  But on paper, this kind of information usually equates to a good matchup for us right now.  I'll hope for 20+ from the Big Dog, unless he's getting hammered on every shot, like he did on Friday.  

I'd almost have to assume they'd bring the 3 man to double team as Big Dog would have no trouble passing out of a double team against a 5'9 guard, which could open up Ivey cutting to the basket. WMU does have some size on their bench in the form of 6'11 Luke Meyer and 6'10 Darohn Scott, however, forcing them to sit 1 or both of their starting post players to match our size plays into our favor.

Edited by kreed5120

10 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Relevant

Edit: I actually expect us to be a 2-3 point favorite.

I'd put my game worn Tree Treadwell funky socks on us being the dog. We shall soon find out. I actually hope that we are so that it may instill  a fighting, nothing is given attitude in our guys. I'd like to see just a little more fire in our play.

12 minutes ago, The Hip Zip said:

You win for now. The Zips open up at -3 at betonline.ag though I suspect the number will move by tomorrows tip. 

Now where do I send the socks ?

I think I'll pass.

I actually expect us to cover this game assuming the line stays at -3. We are due for a quality shooting night and we seem to struggle against teams with size, which CMU doesn't have. CMU seems to struggle against size, which is something we do have depending on what lineup we roll out. I don't feel they are capable of beating us in a halfcourt game and that is what I think we will make it.

Edited by kreed5120

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I'd almost have to assume they'd bring the 3 man to double team as Big Dog would have no trouble passing out of a double team against a 5'9 guard, which could open up Ivey cutting to the basket. WMU does have some size on their bench in the form of 6'11 Luke Meyer and 6'10 Darohn Scott, however, forcing them to sit 1 or both of their starting post players to match our size plays into our favor.

Right.  That would make no sense.  They aren't going to take starters off the floor just to try to stop the Big Dog.  

The triple-teams are rather interesting.  Keith talked about that a bit in his post-game on Friday, and I've seen it a few times myself.  More than anything else, it wears out a post player.  He's a big strong guy, but fighting through arms and bodies all night can be taxing.  I'm sure they can create turnovers that way too.   But ultimately, any coach is going to feel pretty confident in his offense's ability to get the ball to someone who can score when the rest of the floor is playing 4 on 2.  If their short guards are having to try to run out from the paint to try to influence the 3 point shots, it could be a long night for CMU. 

I see we are three point favorites.  I'm skeptical of any Zip game on the road.  If we can come out of this week 4-0 in the MAC,  then we have something different going on this year.  But we've all seen too many road disasters in recent years at places like DeKalb and Oxford to think any of these games is certain. 

I agree we will lose a game or 2 along the way that we shouldn't, but I don't feel that it will be tonight. Big Dog should be able to carve this defense up. It will just be a matter of if our shooters can knock down their open looks when they get them, which should be often. CMU is a 1 man wrecking crew offensively. Rayson is averaging a respectable 18 points per game, but that is coming on an inefficient .346 shooting. The focus should be getting the ball out of Keene's hands (easier said than done) and force someone else to beat you.

• Like 1

Maybe tonight is too soon to consider this a major factor....but.....

We played on Friday night.  So an extra day of rest is in play here that wasn't the case if we had played on Saturday, like CMU.  Long trip to DeKalb and back for them, and then literally only one day of rest.  

Maybe this is why we went up there early.  And our guys have been at home in Akron since Christmas.

We'll see.