Zips @ Central Michigan (Keene to NBA draft)

Dr Z

5 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Maybe tonight is too soon to consider this a major factor....but.....

We played on Friday night.  So an extra day of rest is in play here that wasn't the case if we had played on Saturday, like CMU.  Long trip to DeKalb and back for them, and then literally only one day of rest.  

Maybe this is why we went up there early.  And our guys have been at home in Akron since Christmas.

We'll see.  

When did the team leave?  I am also curious if you know how the team travels, on the MAC road trips outside Ohio.  Do they usually travel the day of the game or the day before the game.  I would think it would help if they did not play the same day after a 5 hour bus ride.

11 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Excellent team ball:

Isaiah Johnson, Antino Jackson, Jimond Ivey, and Noah Robotham all average over 10 points a game for the Zips. Kwan Cheatham Jr. isn’t far behind with 9.9.

I wish Akron really had the 2nd best D in the conference. If we did, combined with our offensive firepower, we'd steamroll through MAC play. Of course basing a teams offensive/defensive numbers without factoring in pace/SOS is a highly inaccurate measure of team strength.

Standing in their way is a 13 and 3 Akron squad that statistically has the second best defense in the MAC.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

When did the team leave?  I am also curious if you know how the team travels, on the MAC road trips outside Ohio.  Do they usually travel the day of the game or the day before the game.  I would think it would help if they did not play the same day after a 5 hour bus ride.

The team generally travels the day before MAC games (not counting Kent, Toledo, and BG). 

I think one of the keys to the game is how well our 4 guards shoot the 3 ball.  In the last 2 home games, they have shot the ball poorly, 3 ball less than 25%.  These are open looks and they need to shoot the ball better.  Unfortunately, this year in our 3 away games, we have struggled to shoot the 3 ball well.   Big Dog, Kwan and Ivey are playing the best basketball of their careers so it will be interesting if we can dominate in an away game.  Go Zips!     

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

From what I'm reading from you guys is that we have a size advantage.  So the simple plan for CMU would be to triple Big Dog and hope we go cold from 3.  And if we are hot from 3, then CMU prays Keene scores 40 points?

I'll be keeping an eye on that.  It's just not good strategy if it happens very often.  I think I've seen it way more than I expected, and it's probably due to a 3rd guy being in a convenient position to try to trap him for a turnover.  I really don't think any coach ever has a strategy to put 3 defenders on 1 guy with any kind of frequency whatsoever.  A strong guy who's a good passer like Big Dog will have open shooters all over the court all night long if he knows 3 guys are headed his way when he catches the ball.

If they do it enough times for him to recognize that it's coming, they're being stupid.    

• Like 1

22-3 to close out the half. Wow :-) And do we give Kwan the "Jimmy Conyers breakout senior year award" yet? His game has improved so much. He still has his outside game which is even better but he's doing really well inside now too.

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 3

If Kwan doesn't score another point he will have raised his scoring average to double digits so that all five starters average double digits. If Big Dog picks up 3 rebounds and Kwan 2 then both will have a double double. Good half for both of the big guys.

18 minutes ago, MDZip said:

If Kwan doesn't score another point he will have raised his scoring average to double digits so that all five starters average double digits. If Big Dog picks up 3 rebounds and Kwan 2 then both will have a double double. Good half for both of the big guys.

I thought I told you people, Kwan is NOT a big guy -- except for the impact of his all-around game! ;)