Zips @ Central Michigan (Keene to NBA draft)

Dr Z

6 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'll take the win but that's another iffy performance against a not very good team.

I need to look at the stats, but this team may be one of the worst defensively in the Dambrot era.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but they mentioned during the broadcast that the Zips are #1 in the MAC in defense efficiency..

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Aa. Jackson's career has been disappointing for me. Is he a great basketball talent? No. But he is a solid athlete with a high motor. He just can't seem to harness his energy into consistently positive play. Shame too as there's a spot for that type of player on every team.

A really super, super kid too.  I pull for him.  Unfortunately, his motor is way ahead of his concentration.  

6 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

They are 0-3 in the MAC.... 1 loss was a 20 point shellacking.

I'm not going to try and pretend to know how great they are. But I will say that I think they can beat any team in the conference on any given night with those scorers. Their team build/playing style lends itself to big wins or big losses on cold nights. They aren't a slow grind it out team.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

I think that Big Dog has played himself into shape tonight.  I thought he would wear out in the 2nd half but it never happened.  Big Dog played the best game I have seen from a Zip in a long time.  I think Antino may be the go to guy in the clutch.  Great 3 point shot to finish the game.  Also, Antino played solid defense the last couple of possessions.  These high scoring games are really entertaining.  Great to see Akron pull out a close one on the road!   

Really nice MAC road win for the Zips. Especially with the injured/ill  Hughes and Dunn-Martin not being able to give us many minutes off the bench. The starters logged a lot of minutes, and still finished strong. 

I don't know that our defense will ever show up this season. But these Zips seem to both enjoy, and excel at playing a fast, run and gun pace. 

Kwan and Dog playing at a Power 5 level. Fun stuff!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I think that Big Dog has played himself into shape tonight.  I thought he would wear out in the 2nd half but it never happened.  Big Dog played the best game I have seen from a Zip in a long time.  

I don't know if anyone joined me when I proclaimed before the season that he'd be Keith's first 20 ppg scorer this year.  I don't think that's going to happen now.  Maybe it still can.  The truth is that he gets put into some very tough situations against some teams.   

Just yesterday, we were talking about how he can get worn down with triple teams.  Last night, he rarely even got doubled teamed.  And the single teams they put on his were complete mismatches that often resulted in easy scores.  That can make a guy look pretty fresh at the close of a game.

I don't know how the rest of the league might decide to play him.  But, I'm sure I can take a guess at what most of them might do when they see that we scored 89 points when nobody helped on him, and 66 a few nights earlier when he got a ton of attention.  

EDIT:  I see that Big Dog is at 16ppg right now.  I'm not a math expert, but since we're roughly half way through the season he obviously needs to average somewhere in the mid-20's from here on out to eclipse the 20 ppg mark.  

Edited by skip-zip

9 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Kwan and Dog playing at a Power 5 level. Fun stuff!

“Kwan Cheatham is playing at a super high level right now,” Dambrot said. “So you’ve got a four and a five man who are arguably playing better than any big people in the league. Everybody talks about Dog, but Kwan’s doing a hell of a job.”

Beacon Journal: Isaiah Johnson scores 33 to help Zips remain unbeaten in the MAC

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I'm loving watching the games on ESPN3.

I liked those announcers last night.  I don't recall any name mistakes or anything like that.  Maybe they did a bit of homework before the game?

It's a far cry from the past, for sure.  Maybe the days of Dam-Bro and Anteeno and Ulysses Grant, etc., are behind us?

23 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

“Kwan Cheatham is playing at a super high level right now,” Dambrot said. “So you’ve got a four and a five man who are arguably playing better than any big people in the league. Everybody talks about Dog, but Kwan’s doing a hell of a job.”

Beacon Journal: Isaiah Johnson scores 33 to help Zips remain unbeaten in the MAC

I agree.  I think Dog is our MVP, because if you take him away from our team, our offense has to change entirely and we don't play that well when he is not out there.  Not sure Dog is quick enough for the NBA but could definately make a 10-15 year playing career overseas if he chooses like many other Zips.

For Kwan, I want to think he may get a "look" from NBA teams (If Rischaun Holmes can make it I think Kwan has a chance).  He's 6'10 so I think he has decent size/length to play power forward.  Many of the 4's in the NBA are more perimeter offensive players (which Kwan is).  He moves pretty well for his size to be able to handle pick and rolls defensively (ignore almost falling down on the crossover and banked 3 last night).  I would love for the Cavs to get him (not sure if they have a second round pick this year or as an UDFA) to give them someone else to spell Love other than Frye (plus he would be cheap for a team that is so over the cap).  Obviously, the major knock is he doesn't really have a low post offensive game but that wouldn't be needed on a team like the Cavs.  You just need to rebound, play defense, and hit spot up jumpers.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Entertaining game. I have never been to a CMU basketball game, but it seems they need to upgrade their lighting the way Akron did. I'm loving watching the games on ESPN3. Replay found here, incase somebody missed or wants to rewatch. 

The lighting in McGuirck Arena is horrible. Due to the placement and type of lights (old style floodlights) there is a lot of glare on the court. It is really bad at the 3 point line in the corners. Thet did a major renovation a few years ago but for some reason it didn't include the lighting.

Because the way Kd plays a team oriented game with an emphasis on defense, I cannot remember the last time anyone scored 33 or more points in a game.  I tried looking it up but could not find an answer so I will throw out this question to someone who has a higher Zip IQ than me.  Who was the last Zip to score 33 or more in a single game?

47 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I don't know how the rest of the league might decide to play him.  But, I'm sure I can take a guess at what most of them might do when they see that we scored 89 points when nobody helped on him, and 66 a few nights earlier when he got a ton of attention.  

Big Dog getting to 33 points had just as much to do with the pace of the game as it did with WMU deciding to play him man. I wouldn't expect him to hit that number again as nobody in the MAC will run that level of up-tempo. The best way of guarding the Zips is playing Big Dog man, assuming you have someone big enough to slow Big Dog down. Fortunately for us there are few to no teams in the MAC that do.