2017 Zips Mens Soccer Roster changes

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/011317aab.html

comments from Robby on why he chose Pitt...and nice comments from Vidovich

Robby Dambrot / D / Akron, Ohio / The University of Akron

Had a standout junior campaign, appearing in 21 games including eight starts ... Played a major role in the Zips' 2015 run in the NCAA Tournament, as Akron fell in the College Cup to eventual champion, Stanford ... Made NCAA Tournament appearance all three years at Akron.

Dambrot on why he chose Pitt:

"I chose Pitt because of the great coaching staff and the competition in the ACC. I think I bring a lot of experience after being at a very competitive program at Akron, so I know what it takes to build a competitive culture. I hope my experiences can help get things going here at Pitt and we can start something special."

Vidovich on Dambrot:

"Robby is another player that brings experience after spending time at Akron, a highly respected program. He can get up and down the line, has a tremendous work rate and left foot. I think he will be a great help for us with the foreign players since he knows what college soccer is all about. He knows what it's like trying to compete for the top trophy, what it's like to train everyday with top players and play against the best teams in the country. He will be a big part of our future."

I wish Akron would put out a statement on who has joined our program at this time (for the Spring semester). Very nice of Pitt to engage their soccer fans by keeping them informed. Ever since our previous Zips Mens Soccer SID, Paul Warner, left, we don't seem to get nearly as much news about our team. Is there some hidden cost in posting a press release to GoZips.com that prohibits UA from putting out too many? I like President Wilson's comments to the city club about UA being family; how about keeping the family informed? Part of building and maintaining a fan base is to engage them in more than just the game day experience.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Paul was good, but the staff of GAs was also deep.  Sean Palchik is very good at what he does, but the SID group is very thin in both talent and numbers as far as GAs go, and Sean is up to his eyebrows with the sports in-season.  Paul had two sports to cover...mens soccer and track and field, Sean does mens soccer, womens basketball, indoor and outdoor track and field, cross country, and is second chair on football.  Add to that at least one vacancy in the GA ranks and it's easy to see  why there is less mens soccer coverage off season.  Just sayin'...

12 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Paul was good, but the staff of GAs was also deep.  Sean Palchik is very good at what he does, but the SID group is very thin in both talent and numbers as far as GAs go, and Sean is up to his eyebrows with the sports in-season.  Paul had two sports to cover...mens soccer and track and field, Sean does mens soccer, womens basketball, indoor and outdoor track and field, cross country, and is second chair on football.  Add to that at least one vacancy in the GA ranks and it's easy to see  why there is less mens soccer coverage off season.  Just sayin'...

@ZipsVoice if you are someone inside the Athletics Department (even if you are not), please take this as constructive criticism, as it is meant...Sean's coverage of Zips Mens Soccer during the season was practically non-existent. Mens Soccer is the only Zips sports team that has won a team national championship and consistently gets to and makes deep runs in the NCAA Tournament. Whether you're personally a soccer fan or not, you cannot deny that interest in the sport continues to grow significantly in the USA. I saw numerous tweets yesterday about the upcoming national signing day for Football and nothing about soccer signing day...not a peep. With the upcoming World Cup Qualifiers in the hex for the 2018 World Cup and the CONCACAF Gold Cup games that will be held in Cleveland, and will likely have former Zips involved, it's incredible to me that UoA does so little to generate interest in our program. I suggest getting Sean some help rather than making excuses. Is there no way to involve an undergrad who might volunteer so that he/she can add the experience to a resume? Perhaps the undergrad does the "leg work" but Sean finalizes the release.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Please use your "voice" to inform AD that more soccer coverage is justly warranted, whether in season or out.  This is not necessarily an indictment of Sean Palchik's work ethic.  It is incumbent upon management in AD to get the job done with their available resources.  I would not presume to suggest how AD should be structured.  What I do know is that important off-season events occur in every sport.  National Signing Day is an important annual milestone for MSOC.  I merely ask SID to please take notice, to give Akron's proudest program the attention it has earned.

• Like 1

Got it guys, I understand.  Just sitting here in my hotel room in Virginia watching EPL lead up to liverpool v. Chelsea, so you don't have to tell me about the growing love of "football" here.  Can't disagree either with national signing day, for both sexes.  Last few years have been awful tough to get names and numbers, and they were usually found on Top Drawer or NSCCA websites.  Maybe a reflection on Larry Williams' emphasis on more football coverage?  Don't know...

• Like 3

I understand the emphasis on more football coverage. Larry Wiliams, et al, need to find a way to fill seats in Infocision Stadium to justify the expense of the Football Program. The problem is that throwing more good money after bad isn't going to solve that problem. Bowden needs W's. Getting to and winning the Potato Bowl (lowest paying D1 bowl), then going backwards the following year is not going to get it done. The Potato Bowl was a good step forward but there was no foundation for the next step. Personally, I'm done with it. Mostly because it's the same ole same ole...nothing new. But also because if they can't find it in the budget to provide more $'s for their best team sport, then I will...even if it's not that much of a bump up and comes at the expense of another Zips sport that is lower on my list.

• Like 3

hopefully, since this topic is about roster changes...this is the best place to post

very nice photo of Chino and a nice writeup

Best wishes to this nice young man...very happy for him that his family will get to see him so many games

http://www.uicflames.com/news/2017/2/1/mens-soccer-adds-three-in-spring-semester.aspx

• Like 1