MAC Bowl Games

Dr Z

9 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Why stop at 43? Let's expand to 65 bowls so all 130 FBS schools can make it. Also, instead of calling them bowls, let's change the name to participation trophies.

Isn't anything other than the National Championship game is a participation trophy? 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Isn't anything other than the National Championship game is a participation trophy? 

I don’t think so, I think it’s about the experience, last year must have increased this year’s budget, 1 million for Penn State, MACC & Boca Bowl, the kids are getting a lot of gear this year, should be another good payout year with Nebraska & Northwestern this year, be sweet to make MACC & another Bowl this year, help with recruiting, specially if we compete & keep this thing rolling

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Balsy said:

Nope.  I don't care about the national championship.  I care much more about the Akron/Iowa State game!  

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 8:29 PM, 94zipgrad said:

I don’t think so, I think it’s about the experience, last year must have increased this year’s budget, 1 million for Penn State, MACC & Boca Bowl, the kids are getting a lot of gear this year, should be another good payout year with Nebraska & Northwestern this year, be sweet to make MACC & another Bowl this year, help with recruiting, specially if we compete & keep this thing rolling

I agree...I was mocking, ironically, the previous statement about "participation trophies" by Kreed.  

On 6/15/2018 at 10:15 PM, Cykron said:

Nope.  I don't care about the national championship.  I care much more about the Akron/Iowa State game!  

Same!  

On 6/15/2018 at 10:15 PM, Cykron said:

I'm with you guys.  The Akron/ISU game holds way more interest for me than the national championship game.  I still can't believe the major networks don't get into a bidding war to televise the Zips/Twisty Winders contest, while wasting all kinds of resources on the national title game.

• Like 1

What's interesting is, while the expansion will obviously benefit the sub-par P5 schools the most (and that's the goal, to draw those fan bases and their wallets in), bowls like this are targeting the mid-major conferences, which is cool. 

The amount of bowl games is ridiculous, but they provide a national outlet for players to get noticed by the next level, an extra game of experience, budget benefits, recruiting benefits, etc. There is way more good with bowl games than bad, especially for schools like Akron that need the exposure.

Off-the-cuff thought, but I wonder if it would be possible to give these bowl games more meaning by creating some sort of tournament, or tournaments out of them.  

Just a thought...One of my issues is that by the time the bowl match-ups are announced, especially to be played in December, there is usually little timeto plan to attend.  I’ve thought of going to Idaho and Florida but with just a few weeks at best, it’s hard to get a low-cost flight and accomodations, and time off work, and the U doesn’t exactly offer great packages for these events, cost-wise.  The people that have gone the past two bowls loved the experience there, but of these “mid-major” type bowls usually are spur of the moment decisions for me....

5 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Just a thought...One of my issues is that by the time the bowl match-ups are announced, especially to be played in December, there is usually little timeto plan to attend.  I’ve thought of going to Idaho and Florida but with just a few weeks at best, it’s hard to get a low-cost flight and accomodations, and time off work, and the U doesn’t exactly offer great packages for these events, cost-wise.  The people that have gone the past two bowls loved the experience there, but of these “mid-major” type bowls usually are spur of the moment decisions for me....

Here's what I do:  For possible bowls (and NCAA MBB regional sites), I book award flights for several destinations because I can cancel without penalty the ones I don't need.  

• Like 1

It's just going to lead to more G5 vs G5 games as bowls will pass over 7-5 MAC/C-USA for a 5-7 Florida/Georgia/Illinois/etc.

I don't know about you guys, but I like seeing MAC and other G5 programs have the opportunity to pull off upsets against bigger name programs on a national stage.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1