MAC Bowl Games

Dr Z

....the MAC is in line to get an estimated $18 million from the college football playoff pool that goes to each of the 10 D1 football conferences. Like the bowl dollars, that money is equally distributed back to the conferences....By Elton Alexander, The Plain Dealer

RAYCOM MEDIA CAMELLIA BOWL

Who: Toledo (9-3, 6-2) vs. Appalachian State (9-3, 7-1, Sun Belt Conference)
When: Dec. 17, 5:30 p.m. Where: Montgomery, Ala. TV: ESPN

POPEYES BAHAMAS BOWL

Who: Eastern Michigan (7-5, 4-4) vs. Old Dominion (9-3, 7-1, Conference USA)
When: Dec. 23, 1 p.m. Where: Nassau, Bahamas TV: ESPN

MIAMI BEACH BOWL

Who: Central Michigan (6-6, 3-5) vs. Tulsa (9-3, 6-2, American Athletic Conference)
When: Dec. 19, 2:30 p.m. Where: Miami, Fla. TV: ESPN

DOLLAR GENERAL BOWL

Who: Ohio University (8-5, 6-2) vs. Troy (9-3, 6-2, Sun Belt Conference)
When: Dec. 23, 8 p.m. Where: Mobile, Alabama TV: ESPN

ST. PETERSBURG BOWL

Who: Miami (6-6, 6-2) vs. Mississippi State (5-7, 3-5, SEC)
When: Dec. 26, 11 a.m. Where: St. Petersburg, Fla. TV: ESPN

GOODYEAR COTTON BOWL CLASSIC

Who: Western Michigan (13-0, 8-0) vs. Wisconsin (10-3, 7-2, Big Ten)
When: Jan. 2, 1 p.m. Where: Arlington, Texas TV: ESPN

If my quick tally is correct, the MAC is now 0-4 in Bowl games.  Miami is a 14 point dog to a 5 win Miss State team and we all know WMU is playing on the big stage.  0-6 is a very real possibility.  I hate seeing MAC teams lose all holiday season (Kent excluded, but they may never again be bowl eligible) especially to teams that recently used to be in I-AA like App State and Old Dominion.  Bring on March Madness. 

It's possible.  Miami is up 2 at the half.  

I've never thought that a conference's bowl results matter at all.  Too many different variables in the matchups, etc.  

This year, I think the only thing that has any impact on our conference is that WMU game.  This league needs a high profile breakthrough to give us all a lift in national recognition.   

22 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I know Miami ended up losing, but I found this interesting ?

Ibrahima Camara (@ibrahimaXcamara)

12/26/16, 12:42 PM

We blew Miami OH out and there beating Mississippi State ? smh

I hope he isn't the only Zip soaking in reality.

23 hours ago, Dr Z said:

I know Miami ended up losing, but I found this interesting ?

Ibrahima Camara (@ibrahimaXcamara)

12/26/16, 12:42 PM

We blew Miami OH out and there beating Mississippi State ? smh

This was of course before the greatest 6 week run of any MAC QB in recent history took over.  And Ibrahima.....  there/they're....really????  

So what do you guys think about the Cotton Bowl results?   I'm at least thankful that the Wisconsin TE fell down intentionally instead of going into the end zone for another TD at the end.  

I think it's a nice outcome for US, as a MAC school, to see an 8 point margin.  I just wonder if it has any impact beyond that.  I'm not thinking that the rest of the college football world sees anything exciting in a "at least the MAC team didn't get blown out" scenario.  

Edited by skip-zip

What strikes me immediately about the Cotton Bowl is that Wisconsin threw to its TE Fumagalli more times in one game than the Zips brilliant OC threw to our TE's in 12 games. Don't anyone buy the B---S--- that the TE is irrelevant in any particular offense. Coaches who are capable of good balanced play calling use all their weapons. Please TB, address this weakness. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

What strikes me immediately about the Cotton Bowl is that Wisconsin threw to its TE Fumagalli more times in one game than the Zips brilliant OC threw to our TE's in 12 games. Don't anyone buy the B---S--- that the TE is irrelevant in any particular offense. Coaches who are capable of good balanced play calling use all their weapons. Please TB, address this weakness. 

Our starting TE scored the 3rd most TDs on the team this season, behind our two stud WRs.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Our starting TE scored the 3rd most TDs on the team this season, behind our two stud WRs.

And how many were thrown to him? C'mon, you can't mean he got them as a receiver.

You guys should know well enough that high TE usage is not a product of our offense. Comparing the usage to a pro style offense like Wisconsin's is ridiculous. Where has the complaining been every other year...especially the Dalton Williams year that everyone loves bringing up? Do yourselves a favor and look at WVU, OK St, Wazzu, and TX Tech's TE usage and come back to me. Those are the offensive systems ours is modeled after.

Actually I'll save you guys the time and just let you know that they are all very similar to ours. I get it...you are disappointed with the season and want to find anything you can to complain about. I get it....we have supposed talent at the position. So much talent that the player and all his stars and offers had to switch positions to get playing time. The fact that the coaching staff found ways to get creative with him, successfully I might add, should be praised.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LZIp said:

You guys should know well enough that high TE usage is not a product of our offense. Comparing the usage to a pro style offense like Wisconsin's is ridiculous. Where has the complaining been every other year...especially the Dalton Williams year that everyone loves bringing up? Do yourselves a favor and look at WVU, OK St, Wazzu, and TX Tech's TE usage and come back to me. Those are the offensive systems ours is modeled after.

Actually I'll save you guys the time and just let you know that they are all very similar to ours. I get it...you are disappointed with the season and want to find anything you can to complain about. I get it....we have supposed talent at the position. So much talent that the player and all his stars and offers had to switch positions to get playing time. The fact that the coaching staff found ways to get creative with him, successfully I might add, should be praised.

Whoa now, hold up for a second there.  You know and I know that if you are running the Air Raid the TE isn't going to get much use.  That's because in the Air Raid there aren't any on the field.  Hell, Washington State and Texas Tech don't even have a TE on the roster.  I don't think you can really say we are running the Air Raid anymore.  We are trying to run some variation of the Baylor offense and don't have the personnel to run it.  When Dalton Williams was here in 2012 we didn't see any TE's on the field and now we have a TE on the field for half of the plays we run.  Most of the time, they never even run a route.  They are just there to be an extra blocker.

That's why I knew when everyone was going ga-ga over MTB switching to TE and winning his award and all that jazz that happened in summer camp and how great it was going to be was nothing a bunch of malarkey.  We had a bonafide stud of a TE here in 2015 that didn't do diddly-squat for crying out loud.

Using MTB in short yardage was great.  I applaud the staff for utilizing him in that manner, but to say that his success in that role means that we utilize the TE position well is like applauding Cody Grice's DT play because he got a lot of first downs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...