2019 Recruiting

19 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I took the afternoon off work today and was able to meet with coach Arth. I’ll have a story posted sometime this weekend. On the topic of the existing recruits he said he didn’t want to pressure them to commit to a coach and staff that they’d never even met. And likewise he didn’t want to extend an offer to a student athlete that he’d never met. 

Zips fans will need to wait for the February signing date to see the 2019 class. It’s just the way it has to be. The new early signing period is really unfair to anyone involved with a coaching change. Whether your coach is fired, or he leaves on his own for a better opportunity.

I can say he’s an extremely nice guy. Very gracious and a good listener. I was a big proponent of Luke Getsy being hired, and a lot of the positives I liked in Luke are also in Tom Arth. I think we hired a good one. 

Good stuff. I'm not holding the zero signings against him, in fact I think it was the right move to ask kids to wait to meet him. I don't think we'll fill up a class at this point, so I think honoring old offers might have been the right thing to do.. but I get it. Looking forward to the article

12 hours ago, zippy5 said:

We have zero signees and we're rescinding old offers? Not the greatest start

In terms of adding freshman? No. In terms of building a culture and reputation? It's a great start. With how much discussion there is about the sliminess of the recruiting process, word will get around about the breath of fresh air that is Arth's honesty and recruiting approach. That's on a personal level and can go a long way. 

From a schematic/system level, I think it's also a smart move. Whomever Bowden recruited to fit his system, they might not fit Arth's. Simply filling a recruiting class for the sake of completion is a bit reckless and can set the program back even further. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Glad to hear the positive report, Captain!

• Like 2

Capt, I'm looking forward to your story.  Your personal assessment along with Arth's recommendations from some pretty impressive football people should calm the "Nation".

Zippy, I haven't seen where Arth has rescinded any offers, and Feb. isn't that far off.  I think giving the commits a chance to look around will help us recruit in the future.

If the Zips get 2 decent recruits from this class, they are lucky. Most of the top recruits go with early signing day.

I just hope all of this did not transpire too late for Zip recruits to find another spot. 3 weeks out from early signing day (Bowden firing) was not a lot of time for recruits. There is no handbook for, "What happens if the coach who recruits me gets fired right before signing day?"

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

If the Zips get 2 decent recruits from this class, they are lucky. Most of the top recruits go with early signing day.

Akron only signed four 3-star athletes in early signing last year    - 

Kent State, who fired their coach last year, signed eight 3-star athletes on the February signing day -

So the Flashes out-recruited the Zips last year - in far less time

2 hours ago, zzx said:

Akron only signed four 3-star athletes in early signing last year    - 

Kent State, who fired their coach last year, signed eight 3-star athletes on the February signing day -

So the Flashes out-recruited the Zips last year - in far less time

And we still won the Wagon Wheel! ?. :rock:

• Like 1

Would be thrilled if we can somehow take advantage of a lot of the moving parts after Arth has been hired being that we still have a whole class to fill. Miami HC retires -> Brand new Temple HC goes to Miami. Houston fires HC -> poached Holgerson from WVU -> WVU likely to poach Fickell from Cinci. 

Late openings after early signing in schools that are in or border OH.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Would be thrilled if we can somehow take advantage of a lot of the moving parts after Arth has been hired being that we still have a whole class to fill. Miami HC retires -> Brand new Temple HC goes to Miami. Houston fires HC -> poached Holgerson from WVU -> WVU likely to poach Fickell from Cinci. 

Late openings after early signing in schools that are in or border OH.

Actually it looks like Neal Brown of Troy getting the job. While I'd prefer some turmoil in-state at Cinci, maybe we can take advantage of Troy with the connections the staff should have in that area from UT-C.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I’m interested to see the Cleveland recruits that have been emphasized so much in the last few weeks. Right or wrong, I might be disappointed to see Tennessee area recruits. ?‍♂️

Doing my best to keep up on twitter...I've seen a few walk on offers are being extended to St. Eds and Iggy players, a lot of JUCO offers, and not really much in between.

Edited by LZIp
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

I’m interested to see the Cleveland recruits that have been emphasized so much in the last few weeks. Right or wrong, I might be disappointed to see Tennessee area recruits. ?‍♂️

To salvage this class, I'm sure it's easier to continue with the relationships/connections that have already been built for the bulk of the class. 

I've attached my best guess at an updated scholarship chart. Couple notes: I included Boogie Knight, Muldowney, and Bischoff as scholarship players even though there isn't a record of them having one. Just my assumption based on getting actual playing time last year. I also removed Denzel Butler, Mark Ellis, Chuck Turfe, and Vince Lockett...players who you would believe are on scholly and have eligibility left based on the 2018 roster, but do not appear on the 2019 spring roster. 

Based on all of that, it looks like there are 23 schollies available for 2019. As always, if anyone knows of a player's situation better than I do in regards to them being on scholly or with the program, please let me know and I'll update. Trying to make this as accurate as possible.

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 hours ago, LZIp said:

I've attached my best guess at an updated scholarship chart. Couple notes: I included Boogie Knight, Muldowney, and Bischoff as scholarship players even though there isn't a record of them having one. Just my assumption based on getting actual playing time last year. I also removed Denzel Butler, Mark Ellis, Chuck Turfe, and Vince Lockett...players who you would believe are on scholly and have eligibility left based on the 2018 roster, but do not appear on the 2019 spring roster. 

Based on all of that, it looks like there are 23 schollies available for 2019. As always, if anyone knows of a player's situation better than I do in regards to them being on scholly or with the program, please let me know and I'll update. Trying to make this as accurate as possible.

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

I think DiLauro was being promised a scholly the last weeks of 2018, but that all dissolved when the change occurred.  You show him as non-scholly anyway, but for what it's worth....