2019 Recruiting

13 hours ago, infofan said:

Have we hired offensive or defensive coordinators yet?

GoZips Dot Com lists the following:

Brian Cochran. Defensive Line Coach

Chris Cook. Tight Ends | Offensive Tackles Coach

Shelton Felton. Inside Linebackers Coach 

Chris Hurd  Special Teams Coordinator

Oscar Rodriguez, Jr.  Secondary Coach 

Tommy Zagorski  Offensive Line Coach

Ben Murphy. Director of Football Operations

Scott Aligo Director of Player Personnel

On 2/2/2019 at 10:42 AM, LZIp said:

Did some reading on that last night. I would be surprised if they are interested in any as they've won 8 games the past 7 years. That is not a typo.

However, hopefully it equates to some more Zips fans at games!

I'm thinking if every d2 and d3 football team in Ohio dropped their programs attendance at Zips games would increase by at least 12 people per game.

13 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Connor's other offers were Lake Erie, Valpo, Dayton, Notre Dame College, Urbana and Butler.

Wow!

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

^^Idk if he's referring to our 4 current GA recruits or if we've gotten 4 more verbals.  Our current GA recruits are:

QB Zach Gibson, Alpharetta, GA

DE Julian Richardson, Albany, GA

CB Randy Cochran, Norcross, GA

DB AJ Watts, Columbus, GA

Although they might eventually, I don't think Julian Richardson or Anthony Watts announced a commitment to Akron on their twitter yet.

On Richardson's twitter he indicates he will choose between Akron and Mercer:

Watts received a recent offer from Central Michigan

While attending the Akron Invitational Track meet Friday and Saturday at Stile, there was a lot of activity with recruits, especially on Saturday.  A couple of closed door meetings with families, and saw the coaching staff, George Van Horne and Larry Williams with prospects, hanging out watching the meet from the balcony.  Don't know who they were but a couple were pretty BIG!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I've watched Wadsworth football a little over the past 4 seasons. They're a good program with tough kids. I'm sure Mason will be a good one. 

Wish we'd have gone after Joey Baughman last season.  

Great program. My co-worker, whose cubical is adjacent from mine, is the mother of their new QB, Trey. I get a lot of the inside scoop on their program, and that Head Coach is a good one. The foundation he has laid with the proper principles to not only build a strong football program, but build terrific individual young men, is nothing short of impressive. 2 straight undefeated seasons and that's not a fluke. 

Interesting note about Baughman. He was a Virginia commit for wrestling, but chose Elon for football due to the full ride (I'm assuming) they offered compared to partial for a non-mainstream sport (wrestling). Similar situation with Jack Snowball from a few years back, where he wasn't heavily recruited by DI for whatever reason, although Snowball had injury issues that followed him to MIami (OH) where he walked-on. 

Mason is a walk-on I believe. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

We've gotten a decent amount of commitments lately (great) with no other apparent FBS offers (not so great). Not to knock on 18 year-old kids, but I hope Arth isn't scrambling too much here to put a class together. There are obvious obstacles at play after losing pretty much an entire class and scrounging together a still incomplete staff, so not lighting the world on fire here is still somewhat understandable.

I'm going to withhold my opinion on the class until all signings are officially announced. We seem to still be in the running to land some nice players. As stated, some of these players that have committed that seem underwhelming are going to be walk-ons. 

Offers are a nice measurement, but so is tape. I don't remember Alvin Davis or Jatavis Brown having any other offers, even FCS.

• Like 2