2019 Recruiting

I wonder how much the discrepancy from past year's PWO numbers is actually having more commits or if this staff is just more social media savvy and encourages the kids to make an announcement. Arth himself does not have a Twitter account, but pretty much every assistant is very active on social media with most posting multiple things a day. 

In year's past, we would have a lot of players just show up on the roster. Maybe now we will have a better understanding of who is joining our team. 

Pretty random/unrelated but i enjoyed this article from ESPN all about how to decode a recruit's Twitter profile during his recruitment

23 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Initial post updated.  

Probably for the last time before tomorrow! :rock:

Thanks B&G. Looks accurate to me based on what we've heard! I wonder if we will have Adetutu. We've heard of Shredo and Sibley going elsewhere, but not him. May also have Ben Phillis show up, another apparent non-qualifer/greyshirt from last year's class.

16 minutes ago, UAZippers said:

Defensive lineman from GA. Did not report an offer from Akron before committing, so might be a walk-on as well. Had a few offers from lower level schools.

Looks like he even might have been originally from CLE based on the 216 reference in his twitter profile.

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Another PWO. Must be cleaning house with walk ons.

FBS teams are allowed a maximum of 105 players on the roster, but only 85 scholarships. So, to have a full roster you need to have a minimum of 20 walk-ons. You can have more if you don't plan on utilizing the full scholarship allotment for whatever reason.

I don't know what the roster looks like right now, or if any previous walk-ons remained through the coaching transition.

247 has been compiling rankings since around 2005. Hayes-Patrick has the 6th highest grade ever for an Akron recruit since that time. Thomas has the 8th highest grade. Akron's class still isn't graded highly because it lacks depth due to a late start and many players already being signed in the early signing period. I'm excited to see what Arth can do with a full recruiting cycle.

https://247sports.com/college/akron/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits/

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

247 has been compiling rankings since around 2005. Hayes-Patrick has the 6th highest grade ever for an Akron recruit since that time. Thomas has the 8th highest grade. Akron's class still isn't graded highly because it lacks depth due to a late start and many players already being signed in the early signing period. I'm excited to see what Arth can do with a full recruiting cycle.

https://247sports.com/college/akron/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruits/

Looks like from the list of actual signees posted on gozips Arth has thus far gone heavy on defense. Nice to see he also signed a couple of kids from  'big' high schools in NE Ohio. Got one from St. Eds and one from St. Iggy. Thats a good start at maybe getting some future attention from the big schools around here. Arth and his staff obviously have some connections in Georgia and the south. Thats pretty fertile ground. Be interested to see how many on the current roster now decide to stay or leave given what they have seen thus far?

?

Edited by Lee Adams
spelling

57 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

@LZIp, would you mind updating your scholarship chart whenever you have some spare time? I'm interested to see what the roster looks like after all these signings.

Yessir. I actually did it last night, but I haven't added the new walk-ons yet. The "few extra" scholarships comment Cap'n referenced caught my eye as well as the only "5 DBs on scholly" comment. What I have shows otherwise and actually shows we are completely full on schollies. 

Now obviously there are some things we don't know in regards to the extra scholarships. I.E. maybe Denzel Butler did transfer out of the program, Featherstone decided not to use his med redhsirt, the new freshman punter will be the only on on scholly, etc.

Same goes with the DB comment. Does he include players listed on the roster as CB and S in that comment? Even if he doesn't I count 7. If you want to exclude Butler and somebody else, then we are down to 5. But that doesn't include "CB" and "S", so that situation isn't as bad as it looks, though I do agree if Butler is gone then we are very thin with players that actually play CB.

Zips Football Scholarship Chart.xlsx

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

Yessir. I actually did it last night, but I haven't added the new walk-ons yet. The "few extra" scholarships comment Cap'n referenced caught my eye as well as the only "5 DBs on scholly" comment. What I have shows otherwise and actually shows we are completely full on schollies. 

Now obviously there are some things we don't know in regards to the extra scholarships. I.E. maybe Denzel Butler did transfer out of the program, Featherstone decided not to use his med redhsirt, the new freshman punter will be the only on on scholly, etc.

Same goes with the DB comment. Does he include players listed on the roster as CB and S in that comment? Even if he doesn't I count 7. If you want to exclude Butler and somebody else, then we are down to 5. But that doesn't include "CB" and "S", so that situation isn't as bad as it looks, though I do agree if Butler is gone then we are very thin with players that actually play CB.

Hope we don't too get caught up in the speculation. Need to see how these guys perform on the field. The fact that Arth has done what a lot of posters wanted,recruit more NE Ohio students,hopefully raises the level of play for the program. As I stated I like the fact the he and his staff obviously have connections in NE Ohio. As long as they are recruiting legit DI talent go for it!!! When these guys get on the field we will see. But,everybody has fun speculating!

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

I think these guys are smart enough to figure it out. This season is to get acquainted. Next season is the test!