• Mitch Trubisky
    • DeShone Kizer
    • Brad Kaaya
    • Chad Kelly
    • Davis Webb
    • Patrick Mahomes
    • Cooper Rush
    • Zach Terrell
    • Other (explain in the body of the thread)

This poll is closed to new votes

This has become an annual thread (sort of), so we will continue. 2016 - 2015 - 2014

Feel free to explain your thoughts below...they won't be worse than Mel Kiper's useless opinions. 

Is there a franchise QB this year?

How many QB's will go in the first round?

How many QB's will be drafted?

Cole Thompson from the USA Today has Wyoming's Josh Allen at number 5 overall !?!

I'm going with Trubisky*. He can make all the throws, minimizes the interceptions - which is Watson's weakness as of now. I watched him complete four 4th down passes on a game winning drive vs Pitt, so if clutch is a real thing, he has it. I don't think this is a very good QB class.

*unless the Browns draft him, then his career will be immediately sabotaged. Poor kid 

I enjoy this annual thread. Haven't made my final decision yet but I do really like Trubisky. My answer will be between him and Watson. Kizer does nothing for me.

FWIW, Matt Miller from bleacher report has Allen going #3 overall in his mock. I'm calling bs if any of these guys are claiming to have watched him more than once this season. The hype literally just started and he didn't look great in his bowl game. Probably will go back to school but the thought of being a top QB drafted could entice him.

One of these guys might develop into being a pro bowler, but personally I feel this is a pretty weak QB class with no clear cut stud at the top. For any of these guys to succeed I feel they need to be put in a position where they are surrounded by talent and aren't asked to carry the offensive load at a young age.

As a Browns fan I'd rather just see them take the best play available with their 6 top 100 picks. Worry about a QB, if it is still a need, the following year when they hopefully have an improved offensive line and some of their young playmakers have developed. The talent pool should hopefully be better than too.

Edited by kreed5120

On 1/3/2017 at 0:14 PM, kreed5120 said:

As a Browns fan I'd rather just see them take the best play available with their 6 top 100 picks. Worry about a QB, if it is still a need, the following year when they hopefully have an improved offensive line and some of their young playmakers have developed. The talent pool should hopefully be better than too.

You and I agreeing on something is a nice change of pace :thumb:

I honestly feel like the Browns aren't going to take a QB until possibly the 3rd or 4th round, which would be a flyer.  They're probably going to focus on Defense with the first three picks, 4th OL.  Fully expect the Browns to trade down from that top pick...hopefully they don't, but they always seem to be hording picks to possibly go after "the guy" at QB than they do taking a guy.

I said Trubisky would be the best, simply because I like his size.  Watson, may be successful at a place where is isn't pressed into service immediately.  It seems like a very weak QB class to me as well.

20 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Fully expect the Browns to trade down from that top pick...hopefully they don't, but they always seem to be hording picks to possibly go after "the guy" at QB than they do taking a guy.

If someone offers you 3 1st rounders or 2 1st rounders and a 2nd for what amounts to a DE, I don't see how you don't take it. I don't see any team offering that unless a QB emerges from this class that they are high on. It's also why I think we'll stay at #1 unless some team offers us a deal we can't refuse. The Eagles pick we'll probably trade.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just got done listening to a podcast with veteran draft scout Dave Te Thomas, super entertaining. He claims this year's QB class is one of the worst, he claims next years will be off the chart, like '83. Kind of in line with the post above. I like Kaaya late for a team with an established QB and system. I know the NFL team I root for is high on Dobbs, I am not. If I HAD to have a QB I suppose I would draft Mahomes. 

Dave claims that his "SF contact" says the Browns have offered their 1st (12th pick), 2nd and 3rd for the 2nd pick overall because they want Trubisky.

He also claims that Myles Garrett is going to be Jarvis Jones the second. Likes Jamal Adams number one overall. He loves Ryan Anderson in round 3, he thinks he is a perfect 3-4 OL. Hates Takk McKinley, says the GM that drafts him will be selling apples in five years because he has had five shoulder surgeries. He says Dobbs is the smartest QB in the draft, and will pick up a playbook in one off season, compared him to Russell Wilson. Dave loves OLB Tyus Bowser from Houston, and claims QB Jerod Evans from VT made a big mistake coming out this year. His favorite sleeper CB is Brian Allen out of Utah, he is projected in the fifth, but Dave would grab him in the third. Claims he has heard from his "guys" that the Steelers are very interested in another MAC guy, Kenny Golladay from Northern Illinois. Speaking of local, he claims someone is going to get huge value out of the Adam Shaheen, the tight end from Ashland in round 2 or 3. Dave says OL and WR this year is very weak. He thinks Corey Davis is 50% healthy right now. Thinks that Andy Reid might come up in late round one and trade to get Davis Webb depending how the draft goes. Overrated WR, Zay Jones, underrated Carlos Henderson Louisiana Tech. Says the team up in Rutherford is looking to take WR Mack Hollins in the fourth. If Sam Donald comes out next year he might receive only the third perfect score (John Elway & Bo Jackson) since he has been scouting in 1968. Would consider tanking to get him. This guy gave more on the draft in a half hour than I have ever heard. He took the year off because his wife battled cancer. Never heard of the guy, but I wanted to document some of this so I can come back and check his work in a few years. 

Wonderlic Scores

1. Brad Kaaya (Miami) - 34/50

2. Nathan Peterman (Pitt) - 33/50

3. Trevor Knight (Texas A&M) - 30/50

4. Josh Dobbs (Tennessee) - 29/50

5. DeShone Kizer (Notre Dame) - 28/50

6. C.J. Beathard (Iwoa) - 26/50

7. Mitchell Trubisky (UNC) - 25/50

8. Davis Webb (Cal) - 25/50

9. Patrick Mahomes (Texas Tech) - 24/50

10. Chad Kelly (Ole Miss) - 22/50

11. Jerod Evans (Virginia Tech) - 21/50

12. DeShaun Watson 20/50

SOURCE: NFL Draft Diamonds

I'm hoping four or five QB's get selected in round one, I'm fearful that only two get picked. The math on the Dave Te Thomas rumored SF/Browns trade for the two pick comes up short according to the chart. Browns number 12, 33 and 65 adds up to 2045, they are short by at least another 2nd round pick. I think trading for the 5th pick is more reasonable for the Browns. I don't think anybody is taking Trubisky before 5, I'm not even sure anyone is taking him before 12. If he's not picked at 12, he might be available at 33.

With the Steelers supposed interest in Dobbs, I went back and watched every throw of his against App State last year. He looked mediocre to awful. I would be surprised if he were successful in the NFL. 

valuechart.jpg

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler believes the Steelers have "genuine" interest in Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes. Fowler's specific word is "intrigue." The Steelers have admitted they must begin their search for Ben Roethlisberger's successor, but Fowler doesn't expect them to "force" a pick. Pittsburgh doesn't pick until No. 30 on Thursday. Mahomes will likely be gone before then. Source: ESPN.com

According to ESPN's Mike Triplett, quarterback is "in play" for the Saints on Day 2 of the draft. While Triplett would like to see New Orleans land Tennessee's Joshua Dobbs if he falls to the third round, Miami’s Brad Kaaya, Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer, Pittsburgh’s Nathan Peterman and Cal’s Davis Webb will all be options to consider at No. 42. The Packers are reportedly interested in Kizer at No. 33, but that could be a smokescreen. The Saints are probably wise to start thinking about life after Drew Brees.

Lots of good info here from Michael Silver about how the Hue Jackson felt about some of the QB's in this class. Seems like info come from here.

• If Kizer hadn’t tumbled to the Browns at No. 52, Jackson liked Tennessee QB Josh Dobbs in the fourth round, where he was drafted by the Steelers.

• Jackson felt Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes had the biggest upside in the draft, and was disappointed to see him go off the board at No. 10, two spots before the Browns’ second pick.

• Some in the front office gave long and hard thought to drafting Mitch Trubisky in the weeks leading up to the draft. "...they, along with Jimmy Haslam, wondered whether he might be the answer to their longstanding run of futility at the sport's most important position,'' Silver reported. One AFC GM told Silver: "I've heard there is quite the battle going on! Only they could screw this up. The only exciting part will be how bad they will screw it up!"

PS (referencing 8 posts up) I'll have to give Dave Te Thomas a listen to before ever draft. That dude nailed more than anyone I heard or read. I have to think he  talked to a scout that was working in Pittsburgh to get that much correct about one team and the draft in particular. Hope he's correct on Dobbs, I just don't see it. 

Reading through some transcripts this morning. This is from QB coach Randy Fichtner regarding how important a big arm is in the NFL. I thought it was interesting that the two QB's he mentioned were from the MAC.

"I think it’s a must. We all talk about it. I’ve coached guys at different levels and it’s been unique to

see because you see guys that can understand the game and make very quick decisions and the

ball comes out. And if that arm strength isn’t elite like Ben (Roethlisberger), like Byron Leftwich,

like a handful of guys in this league that have that kind of arm, you have to win above the neck

and the ball has to come out on time. Decisions have to be made and you’re talking about

delivery and getting the ball out. So to me, it starts with arm strength, but I’ve been able to see

others that didn’t necessarily have that elite arm be very successful in their system."

• Like 1

Greg Cosell is an NFL analyst and a senior producer at NFL Films. He is the nephew of iconic broadcaster Howard Cosell. Cosell is widely regarded by NFL insiders as one of the most knowledgeable and trusted football analysts. Here is a photo of his draft sheet on Dobbs. I think I agree with everything written. 

gregcosell.jpg

• 3 months later...

Stats from Preseason Games so far:  

Deshaune Watson - Texans- 15/25 175 yrds, 0 TD 0 INT 81.9 Rating

Mitch Trubisky - Bears - 15/18 166 yrds, 1 TD 0 INT 103.1 Rating

DeShone Kizer - Browns - 11/18 184 yrds, 1 TD 0 INT, 114.1 Rating

Patrick Mahommes - yet to play

Edited by Balsy