UA Finally Launching ESPN3

Blue & Gold

10 minutes ago, akronzips71 said:

For "selected events"?

What kind of BS is that?

In other words, all basketball games that are not being broadcast already. It just means that if the game is picked up by another network there won't be an ESPN3 stream. There should be no more cruddy streams with no audio that freezes constantly.

2 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Appreciate the heads up. I'd give you a like, but I'm out of them today.

Did it for you.  I would wait to see how it compares to that "old" system.  At least Reghi isn't working with Jim "What town am I in?" Chones. ;)

Edited by Z.I.P.

44 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I actually have a FireTV with Kodi sideloaded onto it.  Need to take a look at it again to try to figure out how to get the specific add-ons, not just the standard ones that come on it.

Beware if you have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner), they'll throttle your connection hard if they detect you connecting to certain streaming sources. A VPN comes in very handy.

29 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Beware if you have Spectrum (formerly Time Warner), they'll throttle your connection hard if they detect you connecting to certain streaming sources. A VPN comes in very handy.

Thanks for the heads up. I do have Time Warner (still billed as TWC). I kept it because it was the only option where I live in Cleveland that did not have a data cap, as I did not want one since it seemed counter intuitive to "cutting the cord".

An added benefit to being on ESPN3, is that local news can show video highlights. Channel 8 at lunchtime, played the Akron highlights. That was the good. The bad, John Telich reported that first-year eligibles LaDainian Tomlinson and Jason Kidd from The University of Akron are among 15 modern-era finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

• 3 weeks later...

ESPN3 is a valuable tool for MAC schools (Crain's full article) By KEVIN KLEPS

...Akron's high-definition broadcasts on ESPN3 — the Worldwide Leader's online streaming service — are produced by Classic Teleproductions and originate from a production room in which the university invested about $500,000 on a studio and new equipment. It's a costly endeavor for an institution whose budget problems have been well-documented, but one Akron feels is necessary because of its obligations to ESPN and the Mid-American Conference. The Zips, like their MAC peers, also believe streaming athletic events is a way to increase the school's exposure and add to its appeal with athletes and wanna-be broadcasters....

• Like 3

Nice and informative article. The 500k sticks out to me. Did not think it would be that expensive of an investment. I can't get enough of ESPN3 honestly.

I also like the outside the box thinking as well by Williams...

"What we'd like to do is offer more than just our events," Williams said. "We want to offer content in terms of coaches' shows and feature shows. We'll have to step up and start thinking more broadly with this asset we have invested in."

I haven't gotten the chance to watch the home broadcasts as I've been at the home games. The fact it has apparently led to us getting more of our highlights shown on local news will make it pay for itself over the long-term. I like the idea of it eventually being run by students to minimize cost and to provide students with a valuable experience that should help them in their related field.

Going beyond the ESPN minimum requirements to maximize the full benefit is also great. I personally don't care enough about soccer to make the ~30 minute one way drive up to Akron for games. I would however tune into an ESPN3 broadcast from time to time to watch some of the bigger matchups.