Zips vs. OU- 1/17/17

clarkwgriswold

I watched the entire OU/EMU game.  Both teams were "chippy" with each other.  At one point, OU's Block body slammed EMUs Thompson.  These will be highly physical contests, and I think the neutralizing of Big Dog will be their focus.   This is going to be a great week of basketball at the JAR.

I have really been impressed all season with the play of Kwan, Big Dog, and Jimond.  Utomi had a monster first half and KD has to find some playing time for this young man on Tuesday.  Somebody on this board questions his defense but his defense looked fine on Sat.  I am also hoping that KD can find more playing time for Dunn Martin.  He clearly outplayed Josh and Noah on Saturday in very limited minutes.  Noah had a bad game with 4 turnovers and 2 of his 3 point shots did not even hit the rim.  Noah always seems play great at home (Marshall game) but we need him to be more consistent, especially on the road.  Antino is the best defender among the guards and forced some turnovers on Sat with good defense.  Looking forward to the game on Tuesday.  Go Zips! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I have really been impressed all season with the play of Kwan, Big Dog, and Jimond.  Utomi had a monster first half and KD has to find some playing time for this young man on Tuesday.  Somebody on this board questions his defense but his defense looked fine on Sat.   

He questioned his own defense in the post game interview .

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

He questioned his own defense in the post game interview .

So Daniel sounded upbeat & not self-pitying over his lack of PT?  That's good to know.

I didn't get to hear the post game because I switched over to the ending of the OU -v- EMU game.

Did he mention anything else of significance?

16 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

So Daniel sounded upbeat & not self-pitying over his lack of PT?  That's good to know.

I didn't get to hear the post game because I switched over to the ending of the OU -v- EMU game.

Did he mention anything else of significance?

In a nutshell, after they were done discussing his offensive game, he was asked "What parts of your game do you need to work on...defense?" He immediately replied, "That's where I need to get better."

He mentioned the speed of the college game being a tougher adjustment on the defensive side of the ball.

13 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I think we learn a lot about the Zips tonight.  People can talk about this being just one game, but the players and coaches know better.  

Well, it's always just one game.  One team can play well, and another team can play bad, and you really don't learn anything.  

Take last night as an example.  If you're a big Cavs fan, you probably thought you learned something a few weeks ago with a major comeback at home against the Warriors.  Maybe you were thinking "we can play with them, even with Durant" or "Maybe they really aren't the super power that everyone thinks they were".  Then last night the Warriors score a mind-boggling 78 points in 24 minutes, and essentially put the game out of reach by halftime. 

Basketball is funny that way.  Here was 2 teams playing games 3 weeks apart with dramatically different results.  The true difference between them is certainly somewhere in between the two results.  But where?

If  the Zips make a "statement win" tonight, it would be comforting to me to believe (for now) that we are better than everyone in this league.  But another game down the line can always make you feel differently.  It's Basketball.  It's truly just one game.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I get that Skip.  Those are good points.  I'm just having a tough time buying into this team.  I can't get  feel as to whether they are a talented bunch with that ability to just win or just not as good as I thought they'd be.  I am hoping to get an answer tonight.  

I find myself getting frustrated with them at times.  I feel like we have teams on the ropes and let it slip away, and then have to find a way to pull it out in the end.  

Yes, that's really tough to get answers when you're witnessing that.  

I think they're good.  But not good consistently enough to "wow me" quite yet.  Does that make sense?

I'm going to venture to guess Antonio Campbell won't play considering he was seen in a walking boot. I know as a Zips fan I wouldn't want us rushing Big Dog back from injury for fear he would re-injure and not be able to play when games matter the most come March. Beating Ohio at home without their returning MAC POY should be expected out of us. I would take nothing out of that game if we were to win by 2 or 20. 

Edit: I honestly do think we are the best team in the MAC. We've at times allowed teams to hang around too long, but we have had various players step up for us down the stretch to squeeze out victories. We need to start playing a full 40 minutes instead of only stepping up the intensity when our back is against the wall. Getting Hughes and Martin back healthy would be a start.

Edited by kreed5120

31 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm going to venture to guess Antonio Campbell won't play considering he was seen in a walking boot.

That would be my assumption too, except that Keith says he expects him to play.  We'll see.  

31 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

We've at times allowed teams to hang around too long, but we have had various players step up for us down the stretch to squeeze out victories. We need to start playing a full 40 minutes instead of only stepping up the intensity when our back is against the wall.

That's pretty much where I stand right now.  

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Well, it's always just one game.  One team can play well, and another team can play bad, and you really don't learn anything.  

Take last night as an example.  If you're a big Cavs fan, you probably thought you learned something a few weeks ago with a major comeback at home against the Warriors.  Maybe you were thinking "we can play with them, even with Durant" or "Maybe they really aren't the super power that everyone thinks they were".  Then last night the Warriors score a mind-boggling 78 points in 24 minutes, and essentially put the game out of reach by halftime. 

Basketball is funny that way.  Here was 2 teams playing games 3 weeks apart with dramatically different results.  The true difference between them is certainly somewhere in between the two results.  But where?

If  the Zips make a "statement win" tonight, it would be comforting to me to believe (for now) that we are better than everyone in this league.  But another game down the line can always make you feel differently.  It's Basketball.  It's truly just one game.  

Thanks, Dave.

• Like 1

I will learn a lot tonight.

I want to see if we can defend Kaminski.

I want to see what Big Dog does when the defense fronts him and keeps him from getting on the low block.

I want to see how Tavian matches up against OU's guards. And if he can continue getting increased minutes. 

Can we get some consistency out of Antino?

How will the Freshman respond to getting pushed around on their home floor (OU games are always chippy), in front of a 5k crowd?

Can we keep our home win streak rolling (3rd longest in the nation)?

• Like 1