Zips vs. OU- 1/17/17

clarkwgriswold

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I want to see how Tavian matches up against OU's guards. And if he can continue getting increased minutes. 

Just an FYI for everyone.  Keith indicated that he played him a lot more against Miami because everyone else looked "tired".  He talked about the long road trip, but that fatigue on the players is only going to continue since we're playing Saturday, Tuesday, Friday.  

We'll see.  

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I find myself getting frustrated with them at times.  I feel like we have teams on the ropes and let it slip away, and then have to find a way to pull it out in the end.  

Yes, that's really tough to get answers when you're witnessing that.  

I think they're good.  But not good consistently enough to "wow me" quite yet.  Does that make sense?

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Just an FYI for everyone.  Keith indicated that he played him a lot more against Miami because everyone else looked "tired".  He talked about the long road trip, but that fatigue on the players is only going to continue since we're playing Saturday, Tuesday, Friday.  

We'll see.  

Tired?  Dunn Martin clearly outplayed Josh and Noah.  He deserves more playing time.  I watched the Xavier-Creighton  yesterday and the commentators indicated that you need guards to attack the basket and be able to finish at the rim in order to be successful.  Josh and Noah do not have that ability.  We need to get Dunn Martin more playing time to see if he has that ability. 

6 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Tired?  Dunn Martin clearly outplayed Josh and Noah.  He deserves more playing time.  I watched the Xavier-Creighton  yesterday and the commentators indicated that you need guards to attack the basket and be able to finish at the rim in order to be successful.  Josh and Noah do not have that ability.  We need to get Dunn Martin more playing time to see if he has that ability. 

Dambrot is on record as saying the reason TDM hasn't played more is because he hasn't been healthy enough to practice. Once his eye fully heals and he is able to practice daily (if he isn't already there now) he should expect an uptick in his minutes.

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I remember being at the game when Noah injured his ACL.   I remember he was attacking the basket at the time.  Maybe it was on a steal.  I'm no sports shrink but it must be on his mind in those situations.

I agree with you 100%.  I am not sure if it is physical or mental but he is a different player after the injury.  The best I saw him attack the basket was against the division 3 team.  KD said something at half and Noah came out with a purpose on defense and offense and he was in attack mode.  My point is that you have to give Dunn Martin the opportunity to be that type of player.  I remember when Noah went down with the injury Antino became a prime time player.  I would like to see if Dunn Martin can obtain the skills to penetrate.  We need that type of guard to reach the next lever.  

22 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Since I don't listen to post-game and such, what's the full story on TDM and Hughes' health situation?  Mahalos, Akron. :)

TDM has some sort of eye infection. According to Dambrot he is pretty much playing with vision in 1 eye. Hughes is having some sort of back trouble. From the sounds of it, it isn't anything severe. It is just a discomfort that is impacting his mobility and play.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Tired?  Dunn Martin clearly outplayed Josh and Noah.  He deserves more playing time. 

I was just sharing what the coach said during the Miami postgame :D   

The opinions of Akron's coach are not necessarily shared by Skip-Zip.   I think he definitely has the potential to contribute more, if given the opportunity.   

17 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I agree with you 100%.  I am not sure if it is physical or mental but he is a different player after the injury.  The best I saw him attack the basket was against the division 3 team.  KD said something at half and Noah came out with a purpose on defense and offense and he was in attack mode.  My point is that you have to give Dunn Martin the opportunity to be that type of player.  I remember when Noah went down with the injury Antino became a prime time player.  I would like to see if Dunn Martin can obtain the skills to penetrate.  We need that type of guard to reach the next lever.  

I'd sure like to see that Antino again.