Zips vs. OU- 1/17/17

clarkwgriswold

Nice win.  A lot of good came out of that game.  It looks like the team is really starting to come together.

Some random thoughts.  I'm still concerned about Noah and Josh.  They seem to be regressing.  Same for Aaron Jackson.  On the other hand, Ivey, Utomi and Poke seem to be coming into their own.  The spark Utomi brings is going to make them find minutes for him.  The ball was in Antino's hands a little more tonight which is something I've been hoping for.  Dog seems a little tired which I am sure has some correlation to Mike Hughes' injury.

• Like 1

Awesome game. Never gets old beating OU. I hate to make one of those "back in my day" comments, but sheesh that crowd seriously lacked energy. I only graduated a few years ago and the atmosphere seemed much better then for big games, especially against OU. Maybe it was the Cooper effect? BTW, took a quick look at Bobcatattack and they are giving us some props.

Edited by LZIp

Definitely the best all around game we have had this year. Kwan, Ivey and Big dog are turning into quite the trio. I also really like Utomi getting more of Aaron Jacksons minutes. I am still worried about the PG position if TDM doesn't get healthy. Noah just isn't very consistent and the team seems to play much better with TDM in the game. 

I have to throw this in there....

An Official who's whistle-happy to call a Technical on a guy who dunks, and stares for A BRIEF SECOND at the opponent who's standing under the basket before turning and running back up the court, has no place in college basketball.  

Those kinds of officials will ruin college basketball.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I have to throw this in there....

An Official who's whistle-happy to call a Technical on a guy who dunks, and stares for A BRIEF SECOND at the opponent who's standing under the basket before turning and running back up the court, has no place in college basketball.  

Those kinds of officials will ruin college basketball.  

LOL, at the same time, a nice problem to have. How many years have we seen a perimeter player at (below) the rim blow a bunny of a layup. For the first time in the KD era, we actually have a guy who will finish at the rim with a dunk (a perimeter guy at that). ... Though I agree that call was laughably bad. 

Jimond is essentially the athlete that Quade Milum was (sans 3 inches) but with an overall game that his lightyears ahead of anything Quade ever showed.

Nice win tonight, but it doesn't mean much if we lay an egg on Friday. It's time to put the foot on the gas and send a message to the MAC that it's "the Zips...and everyone else".

Poke is just fun to watch. At times he looks all elbows and knees... like a newborn baby deer. But those alley-oops he pulls down from the stratosphere and slams home are flat-out awesome. Ditto his blocks. If he keeps improving, look out in 2017-18!

I about had a stroke when Big Dog surrendered that easy layup after he threw the ball away just prior to the end of the half. With 0 fouls, he should have sent a message with a strong block effort. Soft play. And then he watches as an OU player throws an uncontested 2 down at the halftime buzzer. The only person having a bigger coniption than me was KD. Glad Coach's motivational halftime speech resonated!

I really appreciate how TDM 11 comes in ready to play. It's tough coming off the bench, but he can do it as well as anyone.

I love how Ivey values the 2-point shot as much, or more than the 3. That's a rare commodity in 2017. 

I still wish Kwan had one more year. He's such an improved player this year. 

Throw Utomi into our 3-point shooting arsenal, and look out MAC! We lose absolutely nothing when we go to our bench. Sometimes we get better! Look at the depth on other MAC teams. Our program is comparatively pretty amazing.

Dog remains unstoppable when he wants to be, and in the 2nd half he wanted to be. Absolutely dominant performance...yet again. The MAC MVP is his to lose.

Nice job Zips! Back it up on Friday!!

12 minutes ago, wadszip said:

LOL, at the same time, a nice problem to have. How many years have we seen a perimeter player at (below) the rim blow a bunny of a layup. For the first time in the KD era, we actually have a guy who will finish at the rim with a dunk (a perimeter guy at that). ... Though I agree that call was laughably bad. 

Jimond is essentially the athlete that Quade Milum was (sans 3 inches) but with an overall game that his lightyears ahead of anything Quade ever showed.

Quincy may have been the last one who could get all the way to the rim on his own from the perimeter.  Maybe Harney too.  But Quincy didn't appear to be quite as fast, or elevate off of the floor as quickly as Jimond.  On the other hand, Quincy had a bigger body and probably couldn't be expected to do some of the things that Jimond can do.  Ivey really has a true "wow factor" athletically.   

Quade resembles Poke much more than he resembles Ivey.  Quade never had a guard's game.  He was a much bigger guy.  

Edited by skip-zip