Zips vs. OU- 1/17/17

clarkwgriswold

13 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Quincy may have been the last one who could get all the way to the rim on his own from the perimeter.  Maybe Harney too.  But Quincy didn't appear to be quite as fast, or elevate off of the floor as quickly as Jimond.  On the other hand, Quincy had a bigger body and probably couldn't be expected to do some of the things that Jimond can do.  Ivey really has a true "wow factor" athletically.   

Quade resembles Poke much more than he resembles Ivey.  Quade never had a guard's game.  He was a much bigger guy.  

Good points. I was just thinking of guys who could get over the rim and Quade is the only one who came to mind. I guess Harney could as well (and body wise he and Jimond pretty similar), but Ivey is already way better in every aspect as Harney was ... and Harney was no slouch, he just never lived up to lets say his "Ivey-type expectations". 

Quincy could get to the rim similarly, but he is one of the guys I thought of when blowing layups. Maybe it's just me thinking "why the hell aren't you throwing down?" but it seems like he blew more layups (including on fast breaks) than anybody in Zips' history, despite the fact he was so athletic. It was really maddening ... though, I still really liked his game and his willingness to stick through his transgressions, so don't want to hate on him to much.

The Quade and Poke comparison is spot on. Poke definitely has those pogo legs and that thin build. Let's hope he can develop a more rounded game than Quade. If so, he has a chance to be a solid player. But if nothing else, he probably can give a Quade-like contribution, which is very livable as a role player.

35 minutes ago, wadszip said:

The Quade and Poke comparison is spot on. Poke definitely has those pogo legs and that thin build. Let's hope he can develop a more rounded game than Quade. If so, he has a chance to be a solid player. But if nothing else, he probably can give a Quade-like contribution, which is very livable as a role player.

You got it.  

In regards to Quincy, I share your frustration.  It seemed like he could have dunked many of those balls that he chose to try to flip over the edge of the rim.  

Harney was actually a really, really gifted basketball player.  Maybe one of the most talented guys we've ever had here.  Much moreso than Jimond, even if he didn't quite have Ivey's athleticism.  But Nick never had enough heart or desire to put it all together on the floor.  

Edited by skip-zip

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Awesome game. Never gets old beating OU. I hate to make one of those "back in my day" comments, but sheesh that crowd seriously lacked energy. I only graduated a few years ago and the atmosphere seemed much better then for big games, especially against OU. Maybe it was the Cooper effect? BTW, took a quick look at Bobcatattack and they are giving us some props.

I had to listen to the game tonight on a Columbus radio station that carries OU's games in central Ohio. The OU announcers made the very point you raised regarding the crowd at the JAR. Or maybe I should say lack of a crowd. They were in highly respectful of the Zip team and openly questioned why the gym was not packed with the students back on campus, the weather so good and the team so strong. I also can't figure out the Akron area's lack of support. This was a great matchup! 

6 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I had to listen to the game tonight on a Columbus radio station that carries OU's games in central Ohio. The OU announcers made the very point you raised regarding the crowd at the JAR. Or maybe I should say lack of a crowd. They were in highly respectful of the Zip team and openly questioned why the gym was not packed with the students back on campus, the weather so good and the team so strong. I also can't figure out the Akron area's lack of support. This was a great matchup! 

The students actually showed up to this game (in numbers that is). I'd say the student section looked 70% full from where I was sitting and that doesn't count the students that like to sit in the general admission sections. The problem was the students and crowd in general showed a lack of energy. The only real time I noticed the arena erupting was when Pokie blocked it and it led to an alley oop dunk on the end.

9 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I have to throw this in there....

An Official who's whistle-happy to call a Technical on a guy who dunks, and stares for A BRIEF SECOND at the opponent who's standing under the basket before turning and running back up the court, has no place in college basketball.  

Those kinds of officials will ruin college basketball.  

I knew it was coming the second he did it.  I just wish he'd have gone on his way.  No reason to invite the whistle.  I was more perturbed by the technicals called on two players from each team in the second half after conferring at the scorer's table for 5 minutes.  Figure out who caused the problem, make the call and move on.

The crowd issue was more the bright blue empty seatbacks than the GA and student crowd.  For what was the biggest game of the season thus far, that's a little embarrassing.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

Awesome game. Never gets old beating OU. I hate to make one of those "back in my day" comments, but sheesh that crowd seriously lacked energy. I only graduated a few years ago and the atmosphere seemed much better then for big games, especially against OU. Maybe it was the Cooper effect? BTW, took a quick look at Bobcatattack and they are giving us some props.

3,500 for a game against OU to decide 1st place, and that was with no-shows in the lower bowl.  So, it was actually smaller.  Ridiculous. 

This was a NO EXCUSE night, particularly for students.  Warm weather, no rain, no snow, no travel issues, no exams yet, and no weekend trip to their hometowns. 

5 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I knew it was coming the second he did it.  I just wish he'd have gone on his way.  No reason to invite the whistle.

Let me just put it in perspective by pointing out that there's so many things that this taunting or unsportsmanlike judgement could have been, and what the rules are intended to prevent.

We've seen guys dunk and stare someone down for awhile, scream, pound their chest in front of them, nod their head repeatedly, point at their bench. and actually say something to the opponent. 

This was none of that. A brief look, and then he turned up the court.  That official WANTED to blow that whistle.  It was really nothing at all, and takes all the fun out of the game.  

I agree with your other point. The 4 technicals on the other end were a lame attempt to try to take control of the game.  

9 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

3,500 for a game against OU to decide 1st place, and that was with no-shows in the lower bowl.  So, it was actually smaller.  Ridiculous. 

This was a NO EXCUSE night, particularly for students.  Warm weather, no rain, no snow, no travel issues, no exams yet, and no weekend trip to their hometowns. 

I agree with kreed. There seemed to be pretty good student attendance. Energy on the other hand is a different story, but I think that goes for the whole crowd. Me and my buddies used to get tanked before hand and sneak it full powerade bottles of vodka! I didn't notice any students besides the lower ones on their feet ever. Obviously its been discussed on here many times but I think the design of the JAR, specifically the students sections being broken apart plays a part. I do give credit to the cheerleaders as I thought they tried to get energy going...

I didn't notice the Ozone or whatever OU calls it there either. They usually made the trip I believe.

11 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Obviously its been discussed on here many times but I think the design of the JAR, specifically the students sections being broken apart plays a part.

This might be why I get tired of hearing excuses.  The design of the Arena didn't suddenly change right before last night's game.  

We've had many, many crowds with great energy, who created a great atmosphere in the 35 years that the JAR has been configured just as it is today.  

• Like 1

Let's say 500 of those fans were students.  We then take 450 of them and put them in the north and south end stands, which seat 1000 people.  That's just a bad recipe for their involvement.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's a fix for that within the JAR physical plant.  Right now, the only students who appear to be engaged in the games are in the band.

Skip makes a point though.  It's as much of an effort thing as it is the physical plant.

Edited by clarkwgriswold

9 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

This might be why I get tired of hearing excuses.  The design of the Arena didn't suddenly change right before last night's game.  

We've had many, many crowds with great energy, who created a great atmosphere in the 35 years that the JAR has been configured just as it is today.  

Having great atmospheres in the past does not change the fact that the JAR is poorly designed and the poor design has a natural negative effect that takes away from the environment.

12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Right now, the only students who appear to be engaged in the games are in the band.

I agree 100%. The band was the only students that I saw standing and turned when opposing players were announced. I wonder how many of the students that did show up this was their 1st or 2nd game attending. I'm not sure if they were aware or just didn't care enough, but they didn't even stay standing until the Zips 1st bucket.

Edited by kreed5120

Where's that Keener "R" when you really need it...

It was a decent crowd, The Zips played absolutely ZERO defense in the first half, and gave the crowd little to stand up and cheer about. If Big Dog isn't giving any effort, why should the crowd? Ditto our guards, who let OU's perimeter players blow past them with ease.

In the second half, the game got out of hand in an instant. Even when OU got it down to 12 points, there was no doubt the Zips would win.

Energy-wise, Tuesday night games in January are-what-they-are at the JAR. Get some beers in everyone's bellies on a Friday or Saturday night, and the energy will pick up.

Zips use fast start in second half cruise past Bobcats

This is one boring-ass article.  Three decades (as long as I've been following UA) of tripe like this sure doesn't help with attendance.

Concerning the lesser energy surrounding the OU contest, I'm with another poster who wondered whether it has to do with the fact Cooper doesn't play for OU anymore.  There was a cumulative effect there for a while: 1. Cooper was a player you loved to hate, 2. OU had just gone to the Sweet Sixteen, 3. We had our best team in UA history and had cracked the Top 25, 4. Akron and OU were clearly the 2 best teams in the league.

I know televised news and newspapers are largely becoming dinosaurs of a previous (my) generation.  But Cleveland's news channels (when those were a sincerely big deal - for younger folks think Anchor Mannever gave Akron any coverage.  That is formative to a community's psyche.  Add to that the fact our very own Akron Beacon Journal doesn't even give the Zips so much coverage as The Canton Repository gives to a few local high schools and you've got a couple of generations of Summit County residents who simply don't think they should care about the Zips.  If you read the Canton Repository you'd think Stark county high school football was the greatest thing since sliced bread; if you read the ABJ you generally get the vibe of :zzz: concerning UA athletics.  Decades of this will be formative to a community.

There is a problem in Akron.  Akronites/Summit Countians have been conditioned to not think anything really good can come from Akron or be happening in Akron (LeBron James being the lone exception).  I went to EJ Thomas Hall last night to see the freaking Prague Philharmonic Orchestra (who were, of course, amazing btw) and there were so few people there EJ had to close the balcony.  How embarrassing is that?

But here's the thing, if you watched Cleveland news or read the ABJ, would you have even known the Prague Philharmonic was in town last night?

Edited by Blue & Gold

9 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Energy-wise, Tuesday night games in January are-what-they-are at the JAR. Get some beers in everyone's bellies on a Friday or Saturday night, and the energy will pick up.

Agree with this. More crowd "energy" on the weekends as opposed to Tuesday evenings.

And the crowd looked good on tv.

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

^^The MAC should begin scheduling cross-divisional games during the week and divisional games on the weekends.

We've got some pretty intense rivalries with Ohio, Buffalo, and Kant.

We should never play those games on a Tuesday night.

It's logical to think that.  But wait for the first Saturday game that is underwhelming in size/enthusiasm, and plenty on this board will respond with "Akron students go home on weekends".  

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I knew it was coming the second he did it.  I just wish he'd have gone on his way.  No reason to invite the whistle.  I was more perturbed by the technicals called on two players from each team in the second half after conferring at the scorer's table for 5 minutes.  Figure out who caused the problem, make the call and move on.

The crowd issue was more the bright blue empty seatbacks than the GA and student crowd.  For what was the biggest game of the season thus far, that's a little embarrassing.

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Let me just put it in perspective by pointing out that there's so many things that this taunting or unsportsmanlike judgement could have been, and what the rules are intended to prevent.

We've seen guys dunk and stare someone down for awhile, scream, pound their chest in front of them, nod their head repeatedly, point at their bench. and actually say something to the opponent. 

This was none of that. A brief look, and then he turned up the court.  That official WANTED to blow that whistle.  It was really nothing at all, and takes all the fun out of the game.  

I agree with your other point. The 4 technicals on the other end were a lame attempt to try to take control of the game.  

I did not like the call on Ivey but it was not a bad call.  Just before that call the Ohio players and Akron players had gotten into each others face.  Not sure what happened and the refs separated them.  The next play was the Ivey dunk then stare into the opposing player after the dunk.  Not sure if he said anything.  The ref was merely trying to control the game and stop the nonsense before it got worse.  You see the stare after a dunk in the NBA all the time but this is college.  It was a taunt and considering what had just happened the call did not surprise me.  I felt the same way about the double T.  The refs were controlling the game.  Unfortunately, it was Antinos 4th foul and he came out of the game and Ohio had a brief comeback until KD put him back in.

The ABJ article was awful.  Not sure when according to GT the Zips almost let the game slip away...other than some back and forth in the first half.  Made it sound like we were lucky to win.

Looked like a good crowd to me.  Was surprised when I heard French complain about it during post game.

I thought the crowd was larger than 3600. My guess was 4500.  I think we top out at 5500.  Do the students get scanned and added to the total?  Also, I know as a season ticket holder there are games when all of my tickets  are not used/scanned.  I still paid for them prior to the start of the season.  

Edited by tboned