Zips vs. OU- 1/17/17

clarkwgriswold

3 minutes ago, tboned said:

I thought the crowd was larger than 3600. My guess was 4500.  I think we top out at 5500.  Do the students get scanned and added to the total?

Definitely.  I wasn't there, but like I earlier mentioned, the crowd looked good on tv.

Of course there are always the conspicuously empty seats in the lower bowl.

Edited by Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Zips use fast start in second half cruise past Bobcats

This is one boring-ass article.  Three decades (as long as I've been following UA) of tripe like this sure doesn't help with attendance.

Concerning the lesser energy surrounding the OU contest, I'm with another poster who wondered whether it has to do with the fact Cooper doesn't play for OU anymore.  There was a cumulative effect there for a while: 1. Cooper was a player you loved to hate, 2. OU had just gone to the Sweet Sixteen, 3. We had our best team in UA history and had cracked the Top 25, 4. Akron and OU were clearly the 2 best teams in the league.

I know televised news and newspapers are largely becoming dinosaurs of a previous (my) generation.  But Cleveland's news channels (when those were a sincerely big deal - for younger folks think Anchor Mannever gave Akron any coverage.  That is formative to a community's psyche.  Add to that the fact our very own Akron Beacon Journal doesn't even give the Zips so much coverage as The Canton Repository gives to a few local high schools and you've got a couple of generations of Summit County residents who simply don't think they should care about the Zips.  If you read the Canton Repository you'd think Stark county high school football was the greatest thing since sliced bread; if you read the ABJ you generally get the vibe of :zzz: concerning UA athletics.  Decades of this will be formative to a community.

There is a problem in Akron.  Akronites/Summit Countians have been conditioned to not think anything really good can come from Akron or be happening in Akron (LeBron James being the lone exception).  I went to EJ Thomas Hall last night to see the freaking Prague Philharmonic Orchestra (who were, of course, amazing btw) and there were so few people there EJ had to close the balcony.  How embarrassing is that?

But here's the thing, if you watched Cleveland news or read the ABJ, would you have even known the Prague Philharmonic was in town last night?

I agree there is very little free media coverage. Though the ABJ didn't have any problems tearing us apart to get rid of the scar. Page after page of negative derogatory coverage. Some maybe justified, but much of it  just biased opinions.

Maybe I am just blowing smoke. My take on all these attendance discussions is that the MAC is not considered a league on par with other conferences. The NCAA gives us a bid because they have to.  I talk to many local sports fans in my daily work/activities. The only way to raise attendance on a continuous bases is for a MAC school or two, or three to be consistently ranked.  That team or teams’ needs to win in the tournament. I don’t know if it will ever happen, but I really think that is why so many people including alum do not go to games.

BobCatAttack seems to be on melt down mode on not having the athletes that Akron does.  Since OU last beat Akron in the MACC, Akron is 9-2 vs OU. Here is some interesting stats someone over there posted.

2012-'13: (0-3)
3 losses-
1st halves: Ohio +8pts.
2nd halves: Ohio -49pts.

2013-'14: (1-2)
2 losses-
1st halves: Ohio +4pts.
2nd halves: Ohio -13pts. 
1 win-
1st half: Ohio +16pts.
2nd half: Ohio +/- 0pts.

2014-'15: (1-1) 
1 loss-
1st half: Ohio -4pts.
2nd half: Ohio -8pts.
1 win-
1st half: Ohio -10pts.
2nd half: Ohio +11pts.

2015-'16: (0-2)
1st halves: Ohio -12pts.
2nd halves: Ohio -15pts.

2016-'17: (0-1)
1st half: Ohio -3pts.
2nd half: Ohio -12pts.

• Like 1

Don't know that I'd say they are in 'melt-down' mode but they do seem to be resigned to a general opinion that they have not been as good as 'kron in recent years for any number of reasons (coaching changes, coaching styles, type of recruit, team chemistry, etc.). We certainly have had stability and success, at least in the MAC, with KD and do seem to have a team that may be ready to give us that win in March we all so desire.

7 minutes ago, GoZips88 said:

Don't know that I'd say they are in 'melt-down' mode but they do seem to be resigned to a general opinion that they have not been as good as 'kron in recent years for any number of reasons (coaching changes, coaching styles, type of recruit, team chemistry, etc.). We certainly have had stability and success, at least in the MAC, with KD and do seem to have a team that may be ready to give us that win in March we all so desire.

I agree.  They aren't on meltdown, but they have resigned that they aren't the cream of the crop in the MAC anymore it seems like.  They have optimism that they can win the game that matters in the tournament to go bowling though.   Since I've been following the Zips (the 08/09 season); The zips are 13-5 against the Bobkittens. 

44 minutes ago, tboned said:

I talk to many local sports fans in my daily work/activities. The only way to raise attendance on a continuous bases is for a MAC school or two, or three to be consistently ranked.  That team or teams’ needs to win in the tournament. I don’t know if it will ever happen, but I really think that is why so many people including alum do not go to games.

I say it all the time.  We have to do something relevant nationally.  I know people who find it rather amusing that I support/contribute to the Zips the way I do.  That perception won't change until Akron (and possibly others) start beating some people who matter to college basketball fans.  

It will come... we're really at a tipping point right now.  Win 2 games in the tourney to get national talk and see what happens. 

If we had made the tourney last year and won one game, then beat YSU to start this year, with our only two losses against top 10 teams... I think we'd be ranked right now. 

I have to believe that would have led to a sellout last night.  For better or worse our fan base is jaded.  They know we'll win 20+ games but then it's 50/50 whether we make the tournament and we're never ranked. 

Edited by pdt1420

4 hours ago, pdt1420 said:

It will come... we're really at a tipping point right now.  Win 2 games in the tourney to get national talk and see what happens. 

If we had made the tourney last year and won one game, then beat YSU to start this year, with our only two losses against top 10 teams... I think we'd be ranked right now. 

I have to believe that would have led to a sellout last night.  For better or worse our fan base is jaded.  They know we'll win 20+ games but then it's 50/50 whether we make the tournament and we're never ranked. 

And someone could certainly argue that 3 times in 12 years is not quite up to your 50/50 numbers either :unsure:   I'll continue to tell everyone that waiting...and waiting...and waiting to make an NCAA tournament run is just ridiculous.  You can't even count on getting there, as our history shows.  But you can certainly schedule the teams that can get you that kind of notoriety if you win.  This year presented 2 opportunities already.  We need to keep those coming.

Yes, it's possible that we could be ranked right now without the YSU loss.  But what we can do right now is go on one of those long winning streaks, like we did in 2013.   

Not thrilled with the attendance but It definately looked like more than 3600.  ABJ-George is what he is.  Unfortunate but he isnt invested in the zips so his writing shows disinterest. I must credit Marla Ridenour however for an excellent article on the zips today!  I wish she could cover the zips full time. Here it is if you missed it.

During the first 10 minutes Tuesday night at Rhodes Arena, the University of Akron Zips showed why they are built not just to win the Mid-American Conference Tournament, but to win in the NCAA Tournament.

Two monstrous slams by Jimond Ivey. A beautiful turnaround jumper by Kwan Cheatham. Aggressive moves to the basket by Isaiah “Big Dog” Johnson for layups. Two mid-range shots by Noah Robotham. A block and two dunks by Emmanuel Olojakpoke.

It may have been the best 10 minutes of basketball I’ve seen the Zips play, and that goes back to 1999.

Using a crowd-pleasing 26-8 blitz, UA captured a convincing 83-68 victory over Ohio University and extended its home winning streak to 26 games, third-longest in the nation.

It was easy to see what prompted Zips coach Keith Dambrot to say his team has “good upside.”

It was easy to see why Cheatham, one of two senior starters along with Johnson, believes the Zips can be “very special.”

But with over six weeks remaining before the MAC Tournament, there is more to be done.

The Zips (15-3, 5-0) are among the league — and national — leaders offensively, but at the bottom of the conference statistics defensively. They are untested against zone defenses and athletic big men. They’re small on the perimeter, a challenge when they don’t have the ball.

Dambrot must find more threats in the low post than just Johnson, who at 6-foot-10 and 295 pounds will wear down over the span of three games in three days at Quicken Loans Arena. Freshmen Olojakpoke, Daniel Utomi and Tavian Dunn-Martin show flashes of dazzling promise, but must continue to develop, along with Michael Hughes, sidelined with an injury against the Bobcats.

All the pieces seem to be there for UA to accomplish its goal of winning an NCAA game. That dream, unrealized in four previous appearances in the program’s Division I era, dates back to 1986 under former coach Bob Huggins.

But a roster full of potential guarantees nothing in March. The Zips have had players with such skills before and were unable to put it all together in the month that means most.

While Dambrot called Olojakpoke a “mini-Zeke Marshall” in reference to his shot-blocking ability, the UA coach admitted the 6-foot-8 redshirt freshman had to be taught from scratch.

The Zips have had better big men than Johnson, most recently Demetrius Treadwell.

While Josh Williams, Antino Jackson, Cheatham, Robotham and Dunn-Martin have all made over 20 3-pointers thus far, the Zips have had a stable of shooters before. Reggie McAdams and Jake Kretzer led the way in that regard for what seemed like longer than four years.

They’ve had a player like Ivey in Deji Ibitayo, although Ivey seems capable of much greater feats than Ibitayo accomplished during the 2013 NCAA season.

But 10 minutes against the Bobcats showed the Zips may possess a combination of explosiveness, athleticism, 3-point marksmanship and interior presence never seen in Dambrot’s 13 seasons at UA.

Dambrot is in the midst of what may be his most masterful coaching job. I thought the Zips would miss McAdams and Kretzer more than they have. They’ve always gone eight or nine deep, but never been this young off the bench. Dambrot has to be mindful of not running Johnson into the ground too early. He’s kept the team moving forward despite a maddening penchant for living on the edge, with seven single-digit victories, including three this month.

But all that UA wants is still within reach if the team continues to improve.

“That’s going to be the key for us — how good we can get defensively,” Dambrot said. “Our numbers defensively right now are the worst we’ve ever had here. But our offensive numbers are the best we’ve ever had. I think I can fix that part because that’s how I’m built.

“But it’s going to take effort from our team and not being satisfied with wins that aren’t great wins. They’ve got to be better if we’re going to win in the NCAA Tournament or win the MAC Tournament.”

Dambrot knows the burden is not all on the players, but on him, too. Something happened during what he called “a dysfunctional locker room at halftime” against Ohio and the Zips channeled what sounded like some angry outbursts from coach and players into 10 marvelous minutes.

“That’s one thing about having an experienced coach, you still know you have warts,” Dambrot said. “You know your breath stinks. You’ve got to put those breath mints in and fix your problems or you can be fooled by your success.”

Dambrot won’t be fooled. If he can keep the Zips from becoming satisfied with just getting by, they may be breathing much longer in March than ever before.

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

People are starting to take notice...

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

If you are on twitter, please like Terry's tweet. Make him feel that Zips stories will be well received. 

The guy has 47K followers (mostly) in NE Ohio. We can use more good publicity from him. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

We can get differing opinions about how disappointed we are about attendance.  But when I see images like this after our biggest game thus far this season, and see all of the empty seats, it's embarrassing to me.  

kwan.jpg

The long-rumored renovations to the Tommy Evans lounge would solve that problem. Knock out the upper seating on the south end, extend the lounge to the court with a glass box and seating like they have at the MAC Center. The corporate no-shows will snap up those seats instead of the ones down low.

2 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

The long-rumored renovations to the Tommy Evans lounge would solve that problem. Knock out the upper seating on the south end, extend the lounge to the court with a glass box and seating like they have at the MAC Center. The corporate no-shows will snap up those seats instead of the ones down low.

Just for the record, there's far more than just corporate sponsors/donors who have lower bowl seats, and decide not to attend for a good portion of the season.  

How many people do you think are in the Tommy Evans lounge?   Without giving you an estimated count of how many I see in there on average, I will just tell you that it's only a very small percentage of the total number of people who buy lower bowl season tickets.   Those sporadically-attending "blue hairs" (as we call them) aren't the primary people who cough up 2.5K per year to go in the lounge.  In fact, you'd be surprised at the number of people who are in there because a company rep. handed them the passes for that particular day to take their kids, and they are actually sitting in GA.