Kwan Kwan and more Kwan

1981 grad

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:41 AM, MDZip said:

Kwan is sitting on 901 points before tonight's game. Barring an absolute complete collapse the Zips have at least 6 games remaining (4 regular season, one MAC tournament and one postseason). He'll have to average 16.5 if there are only six, 14.1 for 7, 12.3 for 8, 11 for 9 and 9.9 for 10 (which is the most number of games I can realistically see the Zips getting to this season)  to reach 1000. So its going to be tight but I think all of us would love to see him reach that milestone. A nice 25 point game tonight would go a long way in easing my mind about it. ;)  

Darn it he's very unlikely to make it, he's at 956 with not much time left. Wish he would have made the milestone but he still had a nice career with the Zips. But completely under the radar, Antino did pass 1,000 career points in the semifinal win over Ball State. Hope he gets some recognition for that.

16 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Darn it he's very unlikely to make it, he's at 956 with not much time left. Wish he would have made the milestone but he still had a nice career with the Zips. But completely under the radar, Antino did pass 1,000 career points in the semifinal win over Ball State. Hope he gets some recognition for that.

If he scores 15 or so over a few NIT games, that would be an incredible boost for the team.  But, do you really want him to just start firing the ball after what we've seen over the last few weeks?  That's an almost inexplicable disappearing act.  He could have been the difference maker on Saturday.  

Antino will surely be honored at the beginning of next season before a home game.   

Kwan had a great season.  I started this thread because I never thought he would achieve the success that he had and deserved a shout out for how well he was playing every game.  He is one of the main reasons we were so successful this season.  Unfortunately, his offensive game became more inconsistent about three quarters through the season.  In the semifinal he went 3 for 4 from the 3 line and scored 11 points in limited minutes because of foul problems.  However, in the final he and Antino had poor shooting nights and there is little chance of us winning when those 2 are not shooting well.  However, the talent is there so there is still a chance to reach 1000 points.  No matter if we win or lose, would love to see Kwan have a great game tonight.  Go Zips!!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

If he scores 15 or so over a few NIT games, that would be an incredible boost for the team.  But, do you really want him to just start firing the ball after what we've seen over the last few weeks?  That's an almost inexplicable disappearing act.  He could have been the difference maker on Saturday.  

Antino will surely be honored at the beginning of next season before a home game.   

They put this on Facebook. . .

17191308_1193548150763349_76243336585691

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Kwan 35 points away from 1,000. Would certainly require at least 1 more Zips win.

I wonder if that is going to provide some extra incentive for him to give us 100% and be unselfish from here on out?  

Lay it all on the line for Akron, Kwan.  We need you.  

During the second half of last nights game, the announcer indicated that Kwan was a non factor in the 2nd half and that KD should run a play for him to get him involved in the offense.  I believe this was a great point.  Kwan seems to get down on himself when he misses a shot a then disappears.  He needs to revert back to mid season form taking the ball inside and going strong to the hoop instead of fading away from the hoop.  He had a key rebound last night in the second half and rebounded well.  We need a strong game from him on Monday to win.  

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I wonder if that is going to provide some extra incentive for him to give us 100% and be unselfish from here on out?  

Lay it all on the line for Akron, Kwan.  We need you.  

I never considered him as someone who doesn't give 100% or is selfish. He just lets mistakes get to his head and it usually doesn't go well.

• Like 1

I must comment on Kwan's performance last night. Kwan can only be productive on offense if they are including him on the offense. There were many opportunities in the second half where Kwan was open and the ball didn't come his way. Kwan is an unselfish player and he does whatever is ask of him. 

Edited by ZIPSMOM2
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, ZIPSMOM2 said:

I must comment on Kwan's performance last night. Kwan can only be productive on offense if they are including him on the offense. There were many opportunities in the second half where Kwan was open and the ball didn't come his way. Kwan is an unselfish player and he does whatever is ask of him. 

There were times I thought Kwan did contribute without the ball with his spacing. When the ball went down to Big Dog multiple times, UH had to respect Kwans three point shooting ability by staying on him and not going down to double team Big Dog, which enabled BD to get to the rim. 

54 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I never considered him as someone who doesn't give 100% or is selfish. He just lets mistakes get to his head and it usually doesn't go well.

I agree, I'd say it's quite the opposite. Sometimes he just tries to do too much instead of taking what the defense gives him. You can question the effort of some players at the time, but even when Kwan has a bad game it's not because he didn't give forth the effort.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2017 at 10:29 AM, ZIPSMOM2 said:

Kwan also takes some terrible shots. He needs to control his emotions because when he has a fit it negatively impacts the team. He is arguably the single biggest impact player on this team. As Kwans attitude goes... so go the zips. 

Kwan has no issue with his effort.  He's had some off games on offense where his shot's not falling or the defense has taken away his looks, but look how KD has dealt with him in those games- he's kept him in.  He does that because he knows Kwan helps in other ways (even when he's not scoring) and that he'll put forth an effort.  I think he's really grown up this year, cutting out the occasional sulking and getting down on himself too much when things aren't going well and while I've occasionally questioned his shot selection, I'd never question his effort.  In a world where brashness and not graduating are the norm in college basketball, I'll take Kwan's consistent effort and degree(s).