Attendance Data for Major Sports

Balsy

I compiled the average attendance numbers for MBB, WBB, Football and MSoc (well...the four sports we generally follow the most here at ZN.O) so here are graphs, and data tables with a brief statistical analysis of them.  Feel free to use any of these for any discussion.  There is already a Marketing thread where attendance frequently comes up, along with an Attendance thread.  Instead of rehashing in several different threads, I thought I'd just open a new thread dedicated to the data and graphs themselves.

Limitations:  (1) There are limitations to the data I have access to through the NCAA's website.  Data for football is only available 2003-2016 (13 years).  So I used this time frame in order to compile all analysis.  Therefore, the historical context is limited, though I am confident in saying that the past 13-years of attendance at UA sporting events is probably the most relevant to any particular discussion or debate we may have here.  Enjoy :D

Improvements:  It would be awesome to have student attendance data, as well as to add more of a historical context.  Hopefully this will serve as a framework to expand upon later.

Zips Football

Graph 1

Zips Football.png

Inflated.png

Non-Inflated.png

There is definitely a decline in attendance over time.  The possibly concerning part is the decline in attendance year-to-year in the "non-inflated" years as opposed to a rather steep increase in the "inflated" years.  "Inflated" and "Non-Inflated" is based upon the running assumption here in ZN.O that the university will pad attendance stats every other year which can be seen in year by year stats.

Zips Men's Basketball

Zips MBB.png

Very Interesting observation here, attendance seems to go in roughly three year waves, cycling between a high and low.  There does seem to be an attendance increase overtime, even if it's just in ticket sales.

Zips Women's Basketball

Women's Basketball.png

This data I would also consider unreliable.  There's not much data to go from, because the NCAA website does have year-by-year stat records, but they sometimes include all schools, sometimes don't include all schools.  Really wonky, and I don't really care to dig through it all to discover why.   With that said it does evidently increase over time.

Zips Men's Soccer

Men's Soccer.png

This Data is very unreliable.  The R-squared value was included because it's very close to 0, so the correlation between the data isn't that great.  There seems to be a trend, but beyond the year's depicted there's not much we can tell.  Attendance Records for NCAA D-1 soccer are not easy to come by on their website, I had to compile a lot of this by articles published by the NCAA talking about the "best" years in D-I Men's Soccer attendance.  Though it is interesting to note, we are usually in the top-ten for soccer attendance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Do 800 people really attend WBB game or is that number heavily inflated? I haven't been to a WBB game since probably the 08-09 season.

I would say no.  Couple hundred yes, so there's definitely some inflation there, but I wonder if the avg. attendance is being skewed by ticket sales to Girls BB invitations and things like that.  I know they do a lot of things like that for WBB, as well as volleyball.  Probably also includes all tickets sold.  Alumni package I get free tickets to all WBB games, and probably have used 1 or 2 in the past three years, for the Kent game...but they'd probably count that as a ticket sold for each game in the last 3 years.

• 8 months later...

There is a problem with the line you drew on Zips Mens Soccer attendance. You have no data points in the graph from 2004-08. I know that before they began selling season tickets in 2009, attendance did not break 1000. If it did, it was rarely, and not on average. You cannot show that line as average attendance declining since 2004; since, 2010, perhaps, but not since 2004. Attendance likely increased from 04-10, then dropped with a slight uptick in 15 when the Zips returned to the College Cup.

3 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

There is a problem with the line you drew on Zips Mens Soccer attendance. You have no data points in the graph from 2004-08. I know that before they began selling season tickets in 2009, attendance did not break 1000. If it did, it was rarely, and not on average. You cannot show that line as average attendance declining since 2004; since, 2010, perhaps, but not since 2004. Attendance likely increased from 04-10, then dropped with a slight uptick in 15 when the Zips returned to the College Cup.

Completely agree with you.  When I originally made these I just used the same template and changed the names and the title of the graph, so the trend line stayed for all the years within the range instead of cutting them out.  The slope of the Trend is still the same for the actual years we have on record.  Unfortunately I don't have access to that data (yet).

I will be making updated charts at the conclusion of the 2017 seasons for all charts, and I'll update it then.  I did have hope that when I have a little extra time I'd send a little email over to someone at athletics to see if I could get more historical data.  

Ideally my goal would be to get graphs for each sport going back as far as the record goes.  This will be a work in progress. 

Thanks for the catch though!

I also forgot to take off the R squared value for that graph...

Edited by Balsy