EMU @ Zips (Friday 6:30 pm on CBS)

Dr Z

1 minute ago, Blue & Gold said:

That's how it appeared on tv.  Good GA.  There's gotta be something that can be done about the lower bowl no-shows.  Those empty lower-bowl seats stick out like a sore thumb.

There's a lot that can be done with all of the empty Blue seats, but giving those perks to the elderly donors and corporate sponsors is not going to change, unfortunately.  

I believe 3,600 was the actual number.  And that included all of the people who walked in, collected Bobbleheads, and left.  But I still think that appeared to be the best GA of the season thus far.

38 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Best thing is to encourage the corporate donors who buy a block of seats to distribute them if they aren't used.

In many cases, they don't technically "buy" them, so that's why they probably don't care.  If you're spending thousands in advertising with the U of A, and someone throws in Lounge Passes and Tickets for you, and you don't really care about Akron Basketball, they sit on a shelf in an office somewhere all season.  

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The lower bowl seats aren't "perks" per se.  People pay a premium for them.  The university just can't give them away.  Best thing is to encourage the corporate donors who buy a block of seats to distribute them if they aren't used.

My family uses our 4 seats four rows off the floor every game and the lounge. Paid and used. If they aren't being used they are given away

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The lower bowl seats aren't "perks" per se.  People pay a premium for them.  The university just can't give them away.  Best thing is to encourage the corporate donors who buy a block of seats to distribute them if they aren't used.

I disagree. A change that could be made for future lower bowl seats is that the university reserve the right to fill those seats, at it's discretion, if they are not occupied by the 10:00 mark of the first half. Any seat holder who arrives after that time will be seated in the best possible seats the university can find. This language would be part of the purchase agreement and made known at the time of sale. It could be done and has been done at other schools. There will be some negative reaction by blue hairs and corporate no shows but that will be more than offset by the positives of seeing the lower bowl filled. It will look better for both TV and the energy the players need to feed off from a crowded courtside. The positive image of a full lower bowl will drive more ticket sales because it will look like a place fans want to be.

I may be showing my age but I remember my dad trying to get tickets to the Tony Laterza era teams and it was damn hard to do. People wanted to be part of that atmosphere despite playing very poor Ohio Conference opposition. I remember sitting in the aisles, that is before the fire marshall stopped that practice. It could happen at the JAR with some policy changes, better treatment of the students and marketing. If the students come Joe Akron will follow because he will want to be part of a happening.

The best solution IMO if there was actually a long enough waiting list for the lower section is that you track how often those lower bowl seats are scanned. Anyone that doesn't attend 66% or more of home games is subject to lose their seats at the time for renewal and someone on the waiting list gets them.

I believe the lower bowl sold out just shortly before the start of the season so I doubt there is a waiting list, but if we ever actually grow one I feel this would be the best system.

1 hour ago, zipfan84 said:

Exhilarating is not the word that came to my mind. What a negative, unengaging article.

I try to give local writers the benefit of the doubt, but the GT article was lame.  He focused too much on the negative and it lacked any useful information.  I wish the Beacon would just assign him the Columbus State beat and find someone with a bit of enthusiasm for their job.

Here is a link to Ohio.com contacts if anyone feels like complaining. I usually enjoy Marla and Beaven's articles when they right about the Zips occasionally, though they have plenty of other commitments. I, and I believe some others, enjoyed Brad Bournival's articles when he did some freelancing for ABJ earlier in the season.

http://www.ohio.com/about/2.994

13 hours ago, The Hip Zip said:

TDM was not on the floor a lot tonight but he's electric when he's out there. Rapidly becoming one of my favorite Zips. He's earning an increase in playing time.

This was simply a bad matchup for TDM since Ty Toney has a good five inches and at least 70 pounds on him; even Magnum has a good 40-50 pounds on him ... I know TDM is listed at 155 (find that hard to believe, probably in the 140s) and Magnum is listed at 180, but he looks bigger than that, probably more in the 190s. I know people are down on Josh, but he at least matches up physically with EMU's backcourt, which is why he was still getting a lot of PT, despite his continued struggles.

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I haven't seen an official number but it looked bigger than any other this year.  Too many empty blue seats, but the GA crowd was big.  My best guess is 3600.

I was wondering about attendance myself. I agree it looked slightly bigger than the OU game, so it had to be at least 3,500; but too many empty blue seats for it to be in the 4,000 range. 3,600-3,700 was my guess as well.

Edit: forgot to refresh my screen, so see the number has been posted. My eyes didn't deceive apparently.

Edited by wadszip

42 minutes ago, zippypitt said:

I try to give local writers the benefit of the doubt, but the GT article was lame.  He focused too much on the negative and it lacked any useful information.  I wish the Beacon would just assign him the Columbus State beat and find someone with a bit of enthusiasm for their job.

Speaking of bad local media. Did anybody listen to Joe Dunn's show yesterday? I admit, I rarely listen to 1350 on my way home, but since the Zips were playing figured I would turn it on and see if they were talking Zips, which Joe was. He had Elton Alexander on as a guest and it may have been the worst interview I have ever heard (it was cringeworthy even listening to. ... btw, Joe was the only reason I kept it on because he was asking good questions, just the responses were mind-numbingly bad). 

At one point, after Elton, incoherently, rambled on and on about how poorly MAC teams have performed (something I don't entirely disagree with, as a whole the league was disappointing this year OOC), Joe asked which teams have been the most impressive. Elton's answer: Bowling Green, lol!

Joe knows the league as well as anybody and handled the interview like a pro, but he had to be thinking, "I'm interviewing a freaking moron."

Edited by wadszip

3 hours ago, mivid12 said:

clear history or run ccleaner to remedy that fyi..if it's worth it

4 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I already read 10 of their lame articles this month, so they have now cut me off!  And I certainly won't pay to read GT.

All you have to do is open an incognito (Chrome) or in private (IE) tab on your browser to get around the pay wall.  Using that mode you can read as many articles as you want.