Steve Zakuani

• 11 months later...

EDIT: Fun listen...The stuff about the moped accident and going to play college soccer at Akron, the references to LeBron and Romeo Travis, whose name Steve doesn't say but we Akron fans know, the discussion about Darlington Nagbe, the comments about Caleb Porter...fun stuff.

http://www.natebowling.com/podcast/2018/1/7/ep-24-twenty-years-from-now-yallwill-all-claim-you-loved-colin-kaepernick-and-other-musings-steve-zakuani-color-analyst-seattle-sounders 

2:00: Steve summarizes the backstory of his youth that begins in the Congo (then Zaire) and life in English Council Estates (projects) in Tottenham. American soccer saved his life. Steve found that, in America, one could play soccer and go to a university. He was on this way to the University of Akron (where Lebron is from and we find out more about that at 45:00.)...

...Hot Take 5

Your thoughts on the Sigi Experiment in LA.

Your thoughts on Darlignton Nagbe moving to Atlanta.

What’s up with Caleb Porter?

In reference to the US Men’s National Team: if I make you technical director of US Soccer, what do you do?

Who are the soccer writers who you read first, who do you trust? Who is doing good work?

Just before the 8 minute mark he starts talking about Akron. 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

I love that Zak tweeted that he and LeBron are the only number one draft picks in Akron's history!  That's the kind of history people might not be aware of -- and sure doesn't hurt his credibility in his position with the media!  I would love to hear him call a game!  Wonder who the play-by-play guy is for SSFC.  I remember hearing the almost over-done British accent on the PA announcer at QWest/Century Link and now I wonder if their TV voice is a Brit too... Not that there's anything wrong with that.  :rofl:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Stevie tweets about what the late Grant Wahl meant to his comeback from a career-ending injury and the psychological consequences.  I'm still in shock as we wait for info on how Grant passed.  No media member was more important to the grow of the World's Game in America.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Stevie tweets about what the late Grant Wahl meant to his comeback from a career-ending injury and the psychological consequences.  I'm still in shock as we wait for info on how Grant passed.  No media member was more important to the grow of the World's Game in America.

"Passed"

Grant Wahl was the very voice of American Soccer.  He cannot be replaced easily.

As always, Steve Zakuani shows personal class when paying tribute to the fallen/departed Grant Wahl.

Well done, Steve.  We join you in mourning this tremendous loss for American Soccer.

Our hearts are very heavy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

This is a link to the article....that Steve Z....talks about.   The article is from 2012.   I don't think that I was a member of this board in 2012.  I apologize if the article is a repost from 2012.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2012/02/02/zakuani