Snap shot of the MAC

wadszip

Dare to dream.  A play in game in Dayton would be nice!  I hate to talk at large because it presumes a tourney loss. (But that's my choice.  Not here to stifle others ideas) And that selection committee errs on side of $ rather than a possible Cinderella who could knock out a Duke or Ohio St type and cost the NCAA big $$ in ticket sales.   

Edited by NWAkron

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Dare to dream.  A play in game in Dayton would be nice!

I've been to the Dayton games.  Nobody there considers it a "play in" for the #11 seeded at large contenders.  Sell-out crowd and a great atmosphere.  Plus, only a few hours drive for Akron fans.  If our alternative is to be playing as a #11 in Dayton, instead of getting a "2nd round" game as a #14 against a #3, it's not a big deal to me.  

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Ohio St

Sadly, they will not be getting invited to the tournament for the 2nd straight year.  :lol:

For those saying we have no shot at an At-Large, we're top 40 in RPI, could very realistically run the table to get us in the top 20-30ish, and we just had a couple-minute exclusive segment on SportsCenter. Exposure matters when it comes to the committee, because exposure means $$$. If UNC Wilmington finishes near us in the RPI, who are they going to take: UNC Wilmington, or the team closely associated with LeBron James? Monmouth had the exposure last year, they just timed it all wrong; it was a tight year in college basketball with about 20-40 solid teams on top of conference champions. We're talking about the 2nd most corrupt sports association in the world, next to FIFA, in the NCAA. If they turn over a rock and see any resemblance of something that can make them $$$, they'll take advantage of it.

On a side note, why aren't teams like UNC Wilmington (recent NCAA tourney success; 4 pt. loss to Duke last year in The Dance), Middle Tennessee State (perennial competitive mid-major; used to be on the schedule, but what happened?), and middle-bottom P5 schools on our schedule every year? Teams like Pittsburgh, Clemson, GTech, Georgia, VaTech, etc., might not be a top 5 team in the country, but they are names and play top competition every year which would help our RPI. Can't played Texas - beat em. Bobkitties played GTech - beat em. Schools like UNC Wilmington and MTSU would give us experience against NCAA tourney-caliber competition. I know this has been :horse: but it's frustrating that, at this point each and every season, we have an At-Large discussion that is always brought down by a weak schedule. :puke:

2 hours ago, lilroodude said:

For those saying we have no shot at an At-Large, we're top 40 in RPI, could very realistically run the table to get us in the top 20-30ish, and we just had a couple-minute exclusive segment on SportsCenter. Exposure matters when it comes to the committee, because exposure means $$$. If UNC Wilmington finishes near us in the RPI, who are they going to take: UNC Wilmington, or the team closely associated with LeBron James? Monmouth had the exposure last year, they just timed it all wrong; it was a tight year in college basketball with about 20-40 solid teams on top of conference champions. We're talking about the 2nd most corrupt sports association in the world, next to FIFA, in the NCAA. If they turn over a rock and see any resemblance of something that can make them $$$, they'll take advantage of it.

On a side note, why aren't teams like UNC Wilmington (recent NCAA tourney success; 4 pt. loss to Duke last year in The Dance), Middle Tennessee State (perennial competitive mid-major; used to be on the schedule, but what happened?), and middle-bottom P5 schools on our schedule every year? Teams like Pittsburgh, Clemson, GTech, Georgia, VaTech, etc., might not be a top 5 team in the country, but they are names and play top competition every year which would help our RPI. Can't played Texas - beat em. Bobkitties played GTech - beat em. Schools like UNC Wilmington and MTSU would give us experience against NCAA tourney-caliber competition. I know this has been :horse: but it's frustrating that, at this point each and every season, we have an At-Large discussion that is always brought down by a weak schedule. :puke:

I would love for a H&H vs UNCW as I live in Wilmington now. I know of many Zips alumni in our area of NC who would travel to the game (many of us worked for athletics). The only top 100 teams UNCW has played are Clemson and Middle Tennessee and they lost to both. They will probably run through their conference. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lilroodude said:

And this.

10 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I stumbled a cross this on reddit. It lists the at large resumes for relevant non P6 teams using Kenpom.

The title states "In short: not good," but I would love to know how many of those Top 25/50/100 Losses came on the road against P5 schools that are too prideful and scared to leave the friendly confines of their mother's basement. 

8 minutes ago, lilroodude said:

The title states "In short: not good," but I would love to know how many of those Top 25/50/100 Losses came on the road against P5 schools that are too prideful and scared to leave the friendly confines of their mother's basement. 

The person that made it is a Gonzaga fan and from his comments he seems pro mid-major. He's just trying to provide an objective opinion on how he sees this playing out with the selection committee.

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The person that made it is a Gonzaga fan and from his comments he seems pro mid-major. He's just trying to provide an objective opinion on how he sees this playing out with the selection committee.

Absolutely. He is very well educated (even says he loves the Zips! - in response to you). The comment wasn't directed at him, but more the perception of "In short: not good."

Another topic :horse: but one that will continue to warrant more discussion. The P5 schools have automatic exposure due to their conference ranks and conference schedules. They can play 10 DIII schools, but if they go .500 or better in conference play, the committee/media will take notice. Mid-Majors, especially those not in the A-10 and AAC, don't have that luxury. Hence the hundreds or thousands of posts on this board ranting about our Out-of-Conference schedule. My frustration stems from us needing to "up" our level of competition, that next-level competition not being willing to play away from their home gym, and then us scheduling Coppin State instead. It's a perpetuating circle of crap.

• Like 1

AP Poll came out and Akron stayed steady with 1 vote as I imagined. Middle Tennessee and Illinois State, who I felt should have been ahead of us before and I'm guessing are in most voters eyes, also received a vote to tie Akron. The CPD AP voter IMO jumped on the bandwagon a little early. I feel the gap between us and #25 has narrowed and we'll start picking up more votes as the weeks progress assuming we continue to win.

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/poll

9 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

This is why I thought we'd pick up a vote or two this week.

Yep, that's a little disappointing that we didn't pick up any additional support after a good week.  

I asked this earlier, but can anyone recall how our number of votes progressed in the polls during our 2013 win streak?

47 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I asked this earlier, but can anyone recall how our number of votes progressed in the polls during our 2013 win streak?

IIRC, we remained in the "Others Receiving Votes" category until the season was almost over.  When we finally did crack the Top 25 (anyone remember what we were ranked? #24?)  we promptly lost a road game at Buffalo.

What was our winning streak that year?  19?  

Edited by Blue & Gold

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

IIRC, we remained in the "Others Receiving Votes" category until the season was almost over.  When we finally did crack the Top 25 (anyone remember what we were ranked? #24?)  we promptly lost a road game at Buffalo.

What was our winning streak that year?  19?  

Yes, you have all of that right.  

I was wondering if anyone knows how our number of votes progressed from week to week as the winning streak progressed.  

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Yep, that's a little disappointing that we didn't pick up any additional support after a good week.  

I looked it up - eerily similar year in some ways.

Started off with an awful loss to Coastal Carolina, then a couple "good losses" - one to Oklahoma State (I remember this one painfully I was in attendance in Puerto Rico, where Tree and Harney did not play over a paperwork issue and Chauncey, oh Chauncey why did you have to foul late on a missed three point shot? :) But I digress :). Anyway also lost at Creighton (and a loss to Detroit Mercy).

So the Zips were 17-4 and the streak was at 13 when they got any votes in the Coaches Poll

Date Votes Rank Record Streak

2/4/13 2 42 17-4 13

2/11/13 9 37 19-4 15

2/18/13 19 27 21-4 17

2/25/13 53 24 23-4 19 Ranked in top 25

3/5/13 6 36 24-5 lost to Buffalo

3/12/13 0 0 24-6 lost to Kent

Edited by MDZip
  • Like 1