UA academic programs

• 1 year later...

No more Bachelors in math, physics, web design, phys. ed.

https://uakron.edu/advance-ua

Academic Program Review results

Aug. 15, 2018

Today, the Board of Trustees approved recommendations from Academic Program Review, a faculty-led, year-long process to evaluate every degree and degree track we offer.

The review will allow us to increase resources in degree programs of greatest interest, opportunity and benefit to students. New degrees will be created, many will receive investment or continue as is, and some will be phased out.

Edited by ZippyRulz

12 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

No more Bachelors in math, physics, web design, phys. ed.

https://uakron.edu/advance-ua

Academic Program Review results

Aug. 15, 2018

Today, the Board of Trustees approved recommendations from Academic Program Review, a faculty-led, year-long process to evaluate every degree and degree track we offer.

The review will allow us to increase resources in degree programs of greatest interest, opportunity and benefit to students. New degrees will be created, many will receive investment or continue as is, and some will be phased out.

Is there a list of the 80 degree programs that will be phased out? By the sounds of it, it seems like a logical move, especially if it's true that new degrees to be added will be focused in industries with labor shortages. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Is there a list of the 80 degree programs that will be phased out? By the sounds of it, it seems like a logical move, especially if it's true that new degrees to be added will be focused in industries with labor shortages. 

https://www.ohio.com/akron/news/local/what-university-of-akron-programs-are-being-cut

This isn't a comprehensive list, but it's the most extensive thus far.

It's hard to believe that UA would cut ANY STEM programs. Fashion design and some of the hospitality programs I get, but physics, math, and some of the health and education programs...come on! Ph.D. programs are the last things that should be cut. They are the most difficult to establish, drive prestige and excellence, and are key to the regional economy.

In another article, it specifies that, "The areas of investment are: cybersecurity, criminal justice and emergency services; polymer and chemical sciences; health and biosciences; performing arts; digital communication; and business, law and education."

The statement is not consistent with the programs that are being cut.

https://www.ohio.com/akron/writers/katie-byard/ua-sheds-80-degree-programs-plans-to-beef-up-others-including-cybersecurity-polymer-science-engineering-dance-and-business

I am saddened by this development.

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

It's hard to believe that UA would cut ANY STEM programs. Fashion design and some of the hospitality programs I get, but physics, math, and some of the health and education programs...come on! Ph.D. programs are the last things that should be cut. They are the most difficult to establish, drive prestige and excellence, and are key to the regional economy.

Agreed.  Those are prestigious and important programs.  Mathematics and Physics are staples of higher ed.

“Actions are being taken to extend the life of the University,” Gingo said. (WT? Sounds ominous)

https://buchtelite.com/35225/news/university-of-akron-to-eliminate-80-degree-programs-expand-efforts-in-others/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+buchtelite%2FruQx+(The+Buchtelite)

Edited by ZippyRulz

4 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

I would pin this reduction to the elimination of dozens of GA positions in the athletic department. KD usually had at least 7 GA's.

"The College of Health Professions’ BS in Athletic Training, one of the programs to be eliminated, saw one of the largest enrollment drops; with 140 students enrolled in 2015 to just 35 students this past year. "

17 hours ago, LZIp said:

I have never heard "Ph. D programs" and "key to the regional economy" in the same sentence before.

President Proenza used to talk about university innovation and research being a key to the regional economic engine. Faculty and students are attracted to the research of Ph.D. programs, which are the foundation of university innovation and research. No Ph.D. programs, no innovation or research, no local economy. This is true for STEM programs.

In the arts, less graduate programs mean diminished local culture.

Edited by UAZipster0305

1 hour ago, UAZipster0305 said:

President Proenza used to talk about university innovation and research being a key to the regional economic engine. Faculty and students are attracted to the research of Ph.D. programs, which are the foundation of university innovation and research. No Ph.D. programs, no innovation or research, no local economy. This is true for STEM programs.

In the arts, less graduate programs mean diminished local culture.

From the list I looked at, it seems most if not all were cut because there is very low demand for them or there are near-duplicate alternative options out there. I don't see the issue.

Edited by LZIp

On 8/17/2018 at 3:11 PM, LZIp said:

From the list I looked at, it seems most if not all were cut because there is very low demand for them or there are near-duplicate alternative options out there. I don't see the issue.

They say there is low demand, but as today's article demonstrates, that's not necessarily true. Even if there is low demand in certain programs, that is bean counting at its finest. There has been no consideration for the impact cutting a graduate program may have on the corresponding undergraduate programs and faculty or research and innovation.

Cuts to ANY programs without a cohesive new mission statement and 15+ year plan in place at the university level are unjustified!

11 hours ago, Valpo Zip said:

But good for him for demonstrating real leadership. I have already started to advocate against most of the cuts to STEM programs, and I'd like to encourage others to do the same.

Edited by UAZipster0305

4 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

But good for him for demonstrating real leadership. I have already started to advocate against most of the cuts to STEM programs, and I'd like to encourage others to do the same.

No doubt! my sadness is not regarding his leadership. I am sad to see the events at the school I love. And I am afraid that the effect of some of these decisions may be irreversible.

I am all for cutting UG programs with low enrollment but cutting graduate programs in fields that have good UG enrollment is absolutely insane and unjustifiable.

A Letter to the Editor from one of the UA faculty members is here:

https://www.ohio.com/akron/editorial/voice-of-the-people/letters-to-the-editor-aug-24-university-of-akron-is-alone-in-attacks-on-history-sociology-compromise-on-akron-primary-should-be-easier

Why does it not surprise me to read that these cuts are being motivated by partisan politics?

Members of the UA community looking to give feedback can write to:

M. Celeste Cook

Secretary of the Board of Trustees

University of Akron

mcook@uakron.edu

Partisan politics always applies when it is your ox that is being gored. But when on the opposite side it is just good policy. I have to say though that without those advanced degrees there might be some difficulty in filling positions such as bartenders, hotel clerks, department store sales associates etc... YMMV 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 4:05 PM, Hilltopper said:

Partisan politics always applies when it is your ox that is being gored. But when on the opposite side it is just good policy.

The first line in that Op Ed said it best:  "Once again the University of Akron board of trustees is taking the university down the road to disaster by gutting core academic programs. A university that does not understand and support education in the liberal arts is not a university. It is a community college."

We might as well stop calling ourselves the UNIVERSITY of Akron, and resign ourselves to our proper name of "Hilltop-High".  Fitting, because you'd be seem to be quite the appropriate representative for such an institution.

Edited by Balsy

On 8/25/2018 at 4:05 PM, Hilltopper said:

Partisan politics always applies when it is your ox that is being gored. But when on the opposite side it is just good policy. I have to say though that without those advanced degrees there might be some difficulty in filling positions such as bartenders, hotel clerks, department store sales associates etc... YMMV 

There is much more to a college education than vocational training. In general, relative to someone with lesser education, a college graduate should be able to:

1) think independently,

2) work within a team,

3) learn throughout life,

etc, etc, etc...

Again, I am not opposed to cuts or consolidation of programs. It is the hasty way it was done and outside of the context of stable leadership and a clear vision for the future of the University. There is inconsistency in the statements put out about the motivation for the cuts that makes things even more suspect.

I am not a partisan, and I actually abhor them. It's unfortunate, particularly as a fellow UA alum, that you find the need to make petty opposition rather than seeing it as a great loss to our common interest.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Like 4

On 9/7/2018 at 6:31 PM, ZippyRulz said:

I mean, when you hastily cut programs while adding official video-gaming competition teams...you're kinda inviting/deserve/warrant this kind of rambling criticism.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

It is disgraceful that the justification for the cancellation of 80 academic programs was financial difficulties and then shortly after, we eat a $500,000 per year contract for a fired football coach for a program that costs around $10 million per year to run. Shame on the Board of Trustees! This is irresponsible and further proves that the BoT are not looking out for the best interest of UA or the Akron community.

How much better off would UA be if football were suspended as a program for five years so that debt on the stadium could be paid down and additional support be given to the academic faculty to strengthen research programs? Though for different reasons, the suspension of the UAB football program worked out favorably for its competitiveness. That $50 million would go a long way towards turning UA around while not sacrificing anything academic. This is exactly what we need new, long-term leadership for.

Edited by UAZipster0305
  • Thanks 1