Bulls @ Zips (Sat 1-28)

zipfan84

14 minutes ago, ZZZips said:

7 if you count Oates. 

It had to be on their nest to last possession when they made the 3.  I watched the replay and Kwan is holding up 6 fingers.  I have to believe since he was near the bench that he saw something to indicate they had 6 players.  The video feed does not show it and the refs did not see it so maybe Kwan was wrong.  It is moot but I was just curious what happened.   

27 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

If you can stand the UPS ad concerning Sophie's birthday, here is a link to KD's postgame presser

Edit: KD mentioned something I mentioned earlier: that Buffalo doesn't fear us at all.  "They think they can punk us."

On those types of videos you can click on the 30 second mark and skip all the ad.

• Like 1

I'll share some observations from last night:

1) The crowd was announced as the largest of the year.  And it looked like the largest of the year too.  But I still hate all of the empty Blue seats.  I think some "outsiders" are finally jumping on the bandwagon with this team.  The "Blue Hairs" just haven't gotten the memo yet.  

2) Speaking of the large crowd, it shouldn't take 3 straight Kwan 3-pointers in the middle of the 2nd half to get people on their feet making some noise.  That crowd could have really rocked that place and influenced the game much earlier.  Maybe taking pictures of LeBron and sending them out on Facebook should have been banned until halftime.  

3) Speaking of Kwan, when the F**K did that guy finally develop a jumper?  I mean, I know the guy is a gym rat.  People who are around there talk about it all the time.  But he's always been that way.  I know we all love to talk about how Conyers and Deji emerged during their last years, but nothing like this.  His game made an unbelievable leap during the off season.  

4) I know it's hard to "teach" defensive effort. But I am convinced after last night that the biggest reason we don't get stops is because we aren't as committed to guarding people as some teams in the past.  It happened so many times last night, especially with Hamilton, that people just didn't make the effort to get on people.  It's almost like watching an NBA game now.  And although all of the scoring might appear exciting, I'm feeling a little bit frustrated that I don't see the effort on that end of the floor that had become the trademark of so many of Keith's teams in the past.  

5) They can talk all they want about Buffalo being talented but in consistent.  And that they have only performed well in spurts.  But I'm going to be very concerned when the road game at Buffalo comes up.  The way their guys....all of them...can dribble and get to the basket is downright scary.  And if they also shoot well from the outside on the same night, the are hard to beat.  I'll pray that they don't do that again against us.  We could have very easily lost that game last night.  

Skip Zip;

On crowd noise/intensity, it seems that all the fan 'contests' during every time-out really deflate the arena energy.  Especially when it's an opposing teams time-out. Really wish they'd limit that stuff to the 1st half.

• Like 2

Agree with last two posts.  I know that we had some trouble with Miami but how did the team we played last night lose to Miami and also lose to Toledo by 30.  The MAC is a conundrum.  I really cant make much sense of it.  Ohio crushes BG at BG but we barely hold off the Falcons at home.  Do teams really play up to us?  I don't think we are necessarily playing down to them.  CMU has a player knocking down 40, 50 points a night but they are still at bottom of MAC.  I know we have a better group of players than they do but you can't say our defense is better.   But through it all we keep winning.  So now what?

Edited by NWAkron

I sit in the very last row of the GA stands, as close to the middle of floor, for every game.  On many occasions during a given game, I stand to cheer on the team in an important point in the game.  I'm always amazed at how often there's nobody else standing between me and the distant floor.  The only thing that gets the casual UA fan/attendee on their feet is the guy in front of them standing up.

Hmmmm, you know what?  UA should give me front row seats.  I could start the avalanche that gets every up on their feet cheering!

9 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Agree with last two posts.  I know that we had some trouble with Miami but how did the team we played last night lose to Miami and also lose to Toledo by 30.  The MAC is a conundrum.  I really cant make much sense of it.  Ohio crushes BG at BG but we barely hold off the Falcons at home.  Do teams really play up to us?  I don't think we are necessarily playing down to them.  CMU has a player knowing down 40, 50 points a night but they are still at bottom of MAC.  I know we have a better group of players than they do but you can't say our defense is better.   But through it all we keep winning.  So now what?

Same here.  Is it parity or mediocrity?

There were some great things at last nights game.  It was good to see Josh have solid game.  He penetrated to the basket and hit some big threes in the second half.  Kwan was once a again a monster with his outside shooting.  Big Dog was once again unstoppable under the basket.  Antino had some great dribble drive penetration and hit some key shots.

The bad is obvious.  Big Dog had 18 foul shots and hit less than half.  (although he made the one that counted)  Buffalo had 5 guys that can dribble drive to the basket and they must have had 20 layups last night.  Our guys are not quick enough to keep their guy in front of them on the dribble drive off a ball screen.  Teams can see how bad we are on the high ball screens and they keep coming each game.  Big Dog and Kwan were not great rim protectors last night.  Poke is a great rim protector but when he is out there we give up too many offensive rebound.  Guys who block shots are not always great rebounders (Zeke Marshall)  

I said it in another post and last nights game just illustrates the point but this team has to improve their defense in order to be considered for an at large bid or to win its first tournament game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zipfan84 said:

Skip Zip;

On crowd noise/intensity, it seems that all the fan 'contests' during every time-out really deflate the arena energy.  Especially when it's an opposing teams time-out. Really wish they'd limit that stuff to the 1st half.

I agree with you. But those timeout contests are part of what pays the bills from sponsorship and are already planned out.  Maybe they should just do those in the 1st half, and save the entire 2nd half for the loud, thumping clapping music and our great MC firing up the crowd?  

Edited by skip-zip

People are asking why the Bulls don't have a better record. The answer is sure they have some guys that can dribble penetrate, but they came into last night shooting 27% as a team from 3 point land. With those low of percentages, teams can play off them to limit dribble penetration. Against Akron Buffalo went 10/22 from 3 for a 45.5% shooting. When they are shooting that hot from behind the arc it is pretty much pick your poison. Do you play them tight making it easier for them to beat you on dribble penetration or do you give them space and let them beat you with the 3. Unfortunately we don't have guards with the lateral quickness and determination to do both.

33 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

There were some great things at last nights game.  It was good to see Josh have solid game.  He penetrated to the basket and hit some big threes in the second half.  Kwan was once a again a monster with his outside shooting.  Big Dog was once again unstoppable under the basket.  Antino had some great dribble drive penetration and hit some key shots.

The bad is obvious.  Big Dog had 18 foul shots and hit less than half.  (although he made the one that counted)  Buffalo had 5 guys that can dribble drive to the basket and they must have had 20 layups last night.  Our guys are not quick enough to keep their guy in front of them on the dribble drive off a ball screen.  Teams can see how bad we are on the high ball screens and they keep coming each game.  Big Dog and Kwan were not great rim protectors last night.  Poke is a great rim protector but when he is out there we give up too many offensive rebound.  Guys who block shots are not always great rebounders (Zeke Marshall)  

I

I'm in the "Just Win" and don't ask "how?" category, but I do enjoy the commentary on what is working and not working if only because it improves my limited basketball knowledge.  Our coach was thinking ahead to an overtime and appeared to be rotating for that very real possibility.  Two of their guys fouled out.  As for the lack of defense on the drives (and maybe some one can help me out here), I'm wondering if these "no touch" rules are part of our problem.  But then again one of their players had 4 or 5 lay ups when he literally dribbled around the out entire defense and made a bunny.  I'm sure the staff is addressing this, but as in past years our rivals are learning how to compete against us as the season goes on.   They watch the film.

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

I'm in the "Just Win" and don't ask "how?" category, but I do enjoy the commentary on what is working and not working if only because it improves my limited basketball knowledge.  Our coach was thinking ahead to an overtime and appeared to be rotating for that very real possibility.  Two of their guys fouled out.  As for the lack of defense on the drives (and maybe some one can help me out here), I'm wondering if these "no touch" rules are part of our problem.  But then again one of their players had 4 or 5 lay ups when he literally dribbled around the out entire defense and made a bunny.  I'm sure the staff is addressing this, but as in past years our rivals are learning how to compete against us as the season goes on.   They watch the film.

They actually had 3 bigs foul out. I viewed Dambrot more so substituting offense for defense. It's why he took Big Dog out on the defensive end for E and why he would take E out and put Big Dog back in on the offensive end. He also let Robotham play defense with his 4 fouls because he is a better option than what he had on the bench. Had he been playing for overtime he wouldn't have risked Robotham picking up a ticky tack 5th on the defensive end.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, zipfan84 said:

Skip Zip;

I thought the same exact thing. Our marketing/in-game hype team needs to take a class on when/how to play certain songs to hype the crowd up, and when to leave certain promotions alone. I don't think schools like Kansas, Duke, UNC, etc., interrupt their high energy crowd with an in-game promotion. Willy (the MC) does a TREMENDOUS job at getting people hyped. Also, I was very disappointed in the Rowdies. I don't believe they did a "BUFFALO'S IN CANADA" chant all night. Willy went over to the band towards the end of the game, and started that chant with the band, but the Rowdies were MIA in that regard. 

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

People are asking why the Bulls don't have a better record. The answer is sure they have some guys that can dribble penetrate, but they came into last night shooting 27% as a team from 3 point land. With those low of percentages, teams can play off them to limit dribble penetration. Against Akron Buffalo went 10/22 from 3 for a 45.5% shooting. When they are shooting that hot from behind the arc it is pretty much pick your poison. Do you play them tight making it easier for them to beat you on dribble penetration or do you give them space and let them beat you with the 3. Unfortunately we don't have guards with the lateral quickness and determination to do both.

Buffalo gave us their best game probably all season. We withstood their hot shooting barrage and still won. That was an impressive win by Akron. They pose matchup problems with their athleticism, but shooting wise that was a special night by them. 

Edited by lilroodude

Big Dog couldn't handle their big men when they went to the perimeter.   They shot well enough to make him have to come out on them, but then had the speed to go around him when he came out.  Poke is in a much better position athletically to handle that situation.  I think Keith also knew Big Dog was he was getting gassed and wanted to save his energy for the offensive end.  

I honestly couldn't tell you the last team we had that was decent at defending dribble penetration.  Maybe it's something the Zips defensive strategy sets them up for.

A couple of defensive things I've noticed and would like to see modified.  First, we trap the ballhandler every time on a high pick.  We never switch it (until after the trap) or just play through the pick.  As a result, we're vulnerable to a team that moves the ball finds the big man quickly coming off of the pick.  Also, I don't recall seeing a second of zone this year.  I'm not a bog fan of the zone, but It is something we ought to trot out occasionally, even for a couple of possessions, for a different look.

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Beacon: Last-second free throw by Isaiah Johnson lifts Zips to win over Bulls

Good postgamer by GT.  He mentions our soft D as the team's real problem.  

I gotta disagree with you a bit there on GT's story. His entire lead is incorrect in terms of time on the clock which also led to an inaccurate headline. I guess that's not as bad as them getting the entire score and story wrong about the Miami-Buffalo game in last Wednesday's paper.

Edited by ewbrooman1

5 hours ago, zipfan84 said:

Skip Zip;

That was a point I made a few weeks ago. Use some judgment.  If there is a time out and Zips on a roll, let the crowd role with it. Pause the contest.