The Best C in Zips' History

Blue & Gold

Best Akron C  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Zeke was the ultimate "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone" for me.  He drove me bonkers for 4 years, but the second he wasn't on the floor for the Zips, I realized just how valuable he was.  With our perennial inability to stop dribble penetration, he was the perfect solution.  He eventually became decent on defense.  RIght now, he gets my vote.  That may change in the next couple of months, but for now, I vote Zeke.

• Like 1

Tough call.  Zeke kinda got robbed of a chance to win a NCAA tournament win because of the Abreu deal, so there's that.  

I am a huge Big Dog fan but the jury is out on his career pending the results of the rest of the season.

Both great players.

I can't comment on Wood because I was not watching Zips basketball at the time because my fanhood had not been rekindled yet.

I voted Jeremiah Wood.

Big, Bad Jeremiah is the most intimidating player the MAC's ever seen.  For the younger crowd, the very intimidating Tree Treadwell, to whom no one dared make direct eye contact, would actually be a somewhat distant second to Jeremiah.

Jeremiah was the man.  Of the ten men out there, he was the undisputed Alpha anytime he set foot on the court.  And if we didn't win the game, well, everyone knew who'd win the fight after the game. Lol.

I also appreciated the fact that Jeremiah was extremely polished offensively with all kinds of moves down low, could put the ball on the floor & could also hit jump shots, even threes; almost impossible to guard.  You could also run the offense through him, much like Dog, as Wood was an excellent passer.

He's also the best rebounder I've ever seen don the blue & gold.  

Jeremiah was only 6-7, but had hands the size of dinner plates & at least a 7-foot wingspan.

He was strong as a freaking ox and pretty explosive.

Ladies and gentlemen, for your consideration, I present The Big Daddy, Jeremiah Wood.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Jeremiah was only 6-7, but had hands the size of dinner plates & at least a 7-foot wingspan.

Ladies and gentlemen, for your consideration, I present The Big Daddy, Jeremiah Wood.

I think this is a long part of our history that we are talking about so many "Centers" (at least post players) who were undersized for the position they were playing.  Or at least undersized for many of the guys that were guarding them.  Tree, Wood, Holmes, Romeo.  They were all "blue collar" guys.  They all succeeded by outworking people.  

Come to think of it, we may be bigger than ever in the post right now, combined, with Kwan and Big Dog starting together.  I don't know of I can think of a time when we had 6-11 and 6-10 starters.  Maybe that also adds to the mystery of why we aren't rebounding better than we are, and getting more stops.  

I think some of our current guys can still learn some things from some of the guys in the past who played that way.  

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I voted Jeremiah Wood.

Big, Bad Jeremiah is the most intimidating player the MAC's ever seen.  For the younger crowd, the very intimidating Tree Treadwell, to whom no one dared make direct eye contact, would actually be a somewhat distant second to Jeremiah.

Jeremiah was the man.  Of the ten men out there, he was the undisputed Alpha anytime he set foot on the court.  And if we didn't win the game, well, everyone knew who'd win the fight after the game. Lol.

I also appreciated the fact that Jeremiah was extremely polished offensively with all kinds of moves down low, could put the ball on the floor & could also hit jump shots, even threes; almost impossible to guard.  You could also run the offense through him, much like Dog, as Wood was an excellent passer.

Good stuff, B&G. Tree has been my 2nd favorite player to watch (behind Zeke) in my now 7 years of fandom. Seems like you are basically describing a Tree on steroids in every facet of the game. I would have liked to have seen Wood play.

Although I took a look at the stats and I have to say I think father time may be hazing your memory some. It looks like he never even shot a 3 until his senior season, averaged 14.1/7.7/2.5 his senior year.. Whereas Tree averaged 15.2/8.6/1.9 in his junior season. Big dog is averaging 15.8/7.3/3.4 this year. I personally think there is a real argument for Tree if you want to consider him a C, which I think is arguable. It's too bad we never got to see his senior season.

Edited by LZIp