Zips @ NIU (Tue 1-31)

Blue & Gold

Thought I'd go ahead and start this thread because this game is sneaking up on us!

"TRAP GAME, this is," said Master Yoda.  Sandwiched in between our 1st tilt w/ Buffalo & our 2nd go around w/ Ohio, we'll be on the road at Northern Illinois, who sits in 1st place in the MAC West and boasts an overall record of 13-8 (5-3 MAC).

NIU is a team which wins both at home and on the road, with road victories over Kant, FIU, USF, BUGS, & most recently, at Toledo.

In Dekalb they've beaten (among others) Indiana State, Idaho, UIC, & Central Michigan.

Like everyone else in the MAC, they're going to want to prove their manhood against us, so they'll get a good nights' sleep & eat their Wheaties before the game.

I believe that I heard somewhere that we were chartering a flight to Dekalb? So at least we won't have to suffer through that long bus ride.

Hope the fellas can re-focus & be ready to play yet another tough one.

Yes, Dambrot said that the team would be flying out sometime today on the post game. I'd be more nervous about the trap game possibility had we not lost in Dekalb last year. Big Dog, Kwan, and company have that game fresh in their mind and know if they show up lackadaisical, they can and will lose.

I clearly remember Keith being livid during this game on the road last year.  Especially a couple of unbelievable calls at the end.  We lost, and it cost us some RPI points at a very critical time.  I just hope that made us ready to take this game as seriously as all the rest, and we can get the job done.  They are good enough to beat us.  

If we're flying out there (which I haven't heard), that tells me that we aren't messing around this time.  

I definitely heard him say the team was flying out.  I was looking over NIUs stats and nothing really stood out for them.  Like Buffalo, they are very low in 3 point shooting % (last in the league) As someone said in another thread Buffalo played above itself and NIU will need to do the same.  They are ranked just higher than we are (2nd and 3rd respectively) on scoring defense.  We are much higher on scoring offense and are #1 in field goal percentage.  So looking at it on paper, we are at an advantage. (Caveat: those stats include all games and not just MAC games). But if they show up playing like Buffalo did on that awful painted home court we will need to dig deep two games in a row.  Tough, tough road stretch.

Edited by NWAkron

Yeah, in general I feel NIU needs to do all the small things to have a chance to win. They need to force turnovers, win the rebound battle, and pray the Zips shooters aren't hot if they hope to win. The one thing NIU does have going for them is they are led by their 6'11 250lb C. With that size he might be able to challenge Big Dog more than some other MAC C have.

Thats a 30 passenger embraer 120 from Air charter express.  Yes its a turboprop but it specializes in transporting sports teams and travels @350 mph direct from Akron to Dekalb_which sure beats a bus or flying into Ohare.  Unfortunately, I believe we chartered to NIU last year and still lost.  Lets hope the result is better this time.  

• Like 1

And the network apparently could be either CBSSports or ESPN(U).  But, they should take that wording off the schedule after the point at which they know it isn't going to be televised.  I have not seen a point spread for tonight, but I suspect NIU should be a 2 or 3 point favorite given their record.

21 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

And the network apparently could be either CBSSports or ESPN(U).  But, they should take that wording off the schedule after the point at which they know it isn't going to be televised.  I have not seen a point spread for tonight, but I suspect NIU should be a 2 or 3 point favorite given their record.

Akron is favored by 3.5.