Zips @ NIU (Tue 1-31)

Blue & Gold

22 minutes ago, Balsy said:

How many times have we lost dissapointing games over the last 3 years?  But I will say, this team is becoming something special.  They're grinding it out and winning games that, in the past, they probably lose.

I think they at least mirror many of Keith's teams in the past that win MAC games because they are part of a program that's won so much, and have experience in knowing how to get it done.

But I will point out that this is different.  We appear to be more inclined to outscore people to get those victories.  I think it's also the reason why we're not pounding people in this league....in a weak year where it looks like we should be doing that more.  

I'm convinced that this team only has one barrier to greatness right now.  It's defensive effort.  If this team took on the "scrappy" demeanor that they showed at times during the 2nd half last night more frequently, this could be the best team we've seen in Keith's 13 seasons.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

I'm convinced that this team only has one barrier to greatness right now.  It's defensive effort.  If this team took on the "scrappy" demeanor that they showed at times during the 2nd half last night more frequently, this WOULD be the best team we've seen in Keith's 13 seasons.   

FIFY :rock:

8 hours ago, NWAkron said:

http://www.thesuburbanite.com/sports/20170131/senior-center-uses-court-vision-to-power-akron-basketball-team

Well-written article on Big Dog.  Some decent journalism and use of the word "fulcrum!"

I heart the Suburbanite!  Old times really kicked in with the article over "Fight and Prostitution at Green Motel"  Hilltopper, is GL's still in operation?  lol. I was classmate with the son of the owner -- He actually played OL for coach Dennison! :)

19 hours ago, zipfan84 said:

Soinfar I see a total lack of effort on D and way too many turnovers. It is possible to turn this around but the boys seem to have no heart tonight. Hopefully they will prove me wrong. 

They proved me wrong. Great defensive effort In the 2nd half. Nice win!

7 minutes ago, zipfan84 said:

They proved me wrong. Great defensive effort In the 2nd half. Nice win!

They proved something to me too....in the 2nd half of one game.  And it's not the first time.  I've seen stretches of defensive effort previously this season.  

This team is still very different in that respect, compared to teams in the past who put the heat on opponents for 40 minutes and then did it again a few days later.  I want to see just some of that heart from this team.  Hopefully Antino has become that guy who can lead it.  

I remember a tight game at the JAR earlier in the year when Jimond had a transition dunk and the team came back down the floor and every kid on the Zips was pumped up, up on the balls of their feet and in the grill of the kid they were guarding.  They were chomping at the bit.  I remember thinking how great it would be if it didn't take a big play to bring out that intensity.   Last night's second half performance gave me a similar feeling.  It's kind of funny.  Now that we've seen them do it, we know they can do it and it will cause even more grief when they don't.

Keith knows what he has here.  He's made it very well known that "we can't guard anyone."  He deserves credit for recognizing what he has and doing well with it, even if it drives him a little nuts.

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

The MAC is really going to suck next year. I've never seen a wave of transfers like this

It really seems like mid-major basketball programs are becoming a minor-league system for the "majors."

I blame the "Sports Management Degree."

Before the "Sports Management" degree became en vogue, you'd annually be sweating-out a few key basketball or football player's grades/eligibility. Now, not only are the players grades fine, but they're graduating in four, and sometimes three years? What a paradigm shift...

In football, the transfer rules seem to favor mid-majors, as the bulk of the grad transfers are P5 benchwarmers looking for an opportunity to see the field any way they can before it's too late.

In basketball, the transfer situation is predominately reversed. Mid-majors are getting the shaft. Of course, only if you've recruited good players.:D

• Like 1