Zips @ OU - Round #2 --> Feb 4th, noon tip-off

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Curious to see how the Kittens have adjusted to the loss of Campbell.  I think they were still reeling from it at the JAR a couple of weeks ago.  They're 2-2 since they saw the Zips, so the adjustment doesn't look like it is going well.  Of particular note is a loss to 7-14 WMU.

Which included blowing a 21 point lead. I hope there's a bit of a hangover from that choke-job (OU pun intended :CK_brew:).

I hope we can gain something positive knowing we had a 12-point victory we had down there last year, with most of the same players they have now, including a healthy Campbell.  

We didn't shoot well either.  But we beat them on the boards and created 13 turnovers.  In fact, Noah, Antino, and Josh (believe it or not) combined for 9 steals.  

Interesting.  

2 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

Who would have thunk we have an advantage in free throw shooting %.

During the NIU game, I just about collapsed on the floor when the one announcer said something like..

"Akron is a pretty good FT shooting team at almost 70%"

I think what's really going on here is just that the guy who gets fouled the most is a horrible FT shooter.  There's plenty of other guys we can count on to hit them.  The most interesting part if that maybe our best FT shooter is also our best inbound passer.  I wish that wasn't the case.    

Yeah, if you take Big Dog out we are a 73.8% FT shooting team. We have players we can get the ball to if we need to ice games. Unfortunately if our offense keeps playing at the high level it is and Big Dog keeps missing FT at the rate he has been, teams will soon realize that hack a Big Dog might be their best strategy to steal a few extra possessions, particularly in 1 and 1 situations. 

Edited by kreed5120

It's a tough situation for a coach.  First, Noah is the inbounder, but is also the guy you'd probably most want at the line.  Secondly, you'd probably not want Big Dog in there late when you are inbounding after an opponent's made basket, but you want him in there once you get into the other half court.  

If I were an opponent, and it was late in the game and I was trailing, I'd be fouling Big Dog before the ball is even thrown in-bounds.  

1 minute ago, skip-zip said:

If I were an opponent, and it was late in the game and I was trailing, I'd be fouling Big Dog before the ball is even thrown in-bounds.  

Not claiming to be correct as rules are changing all the time, but I believe that is an intentional foul. Meaning 2 FTs plus the ball back.

20 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I said it in an earlier post in Northern game but the inbound lob to Big Dog late in the game is a mistake.  KD needs to come up with another play to a player who can shoot foul shots.  (Antino would be on top of my list)

If you're scared of Big Dog having the ball, you might as well pull him from the game. NIU in that situation didn't need to foul. They fouled because Akron was still in the one and ones and was hoping Big Dog would miss the 1st shot, which is the equivalent to a turnover. They wouldn't have fouled another Zips player catching the ball, however, they would have fouled Big Dog the 1st time the Zips tried to feed him the ball in the low post.

44 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

You can sort of get around it and run into him like you're getting thru a screen or something, but if you hold him it's intentional.

Yes, it still needs to be a common foul.  You can't go and jump on his back or start grabbing his arms as soon as the ball is given to the inbounds passer.  

11 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

If you're scared of Big Dog having the ball, you might as well pull him from the game.

That seems like the easy solution.  But like I said, you still need him on the floor when you get to the other end to run a play.   But when the game gets REALLY late, like with a 5 point lead with 20 second left, you aren't going to be running a play anyway.  So, I'm not understanding why he's even out there, if it can be avoided.