Zips @ OU - Round #2 --> Feb 4th, noon tip-off

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Big Dog pretty much sat the bulk of the 2nd half the same game Kwan had his wortst game of the season. I'm not going to fret over the loss.

The winning streak was fun but we all knew the team wasn't going to win out.  It always comes down to the MAC tournament.  I think Kwan wasn't feeling all that well and it hurt his shot.

The refs did not help but you have to overcome that on the road.  Big Dog picked up 3 bogus fouls, a T, a double foul, and a foul away from the basket where the guy put his head into Big Dogs shoulder and jerked his head.  Kwan had his first bad shooting game and it hurt us with Big Dog out.  Utomi did not contribute at all this game.  Poke played well and had a nice turnaround shot around the basket.  Dunn Martin had a good first half but did not see him in he 2nd half.  Bottom line, this team did not play well enough to win. 

17 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

And how many of those were free throw makes from OU. It's just natural that the down in the final few minutes presses trying to chase points. Have Big Dog in when we were up 5 and I don't feel we surrender the lead.

Don't take dumb shots when we were up by 5 and I don't feel we surrender the lead.

• Like 2

Any road game in conference is tough. I'll take 4-1 at this point. I'm more troubled by the lack of composure at the end. But think a lot of that was the pressure of the streak. 

Now let's get back home and take care of business against Ball State. 

• Like 1

Big bummer to lose.  No rationalizing here.  Let's just not make a habit of it!!   That's the thing about win streaks (obviously) they eventually come to an end with a thud.   Winning the close games gives the team confidence in tough situations, but it also has to wear on these guys mentally and emotionally.  A nice blow out of Ball State on Tuesday should do the trick to get them back on track.  Go Zips!

Edited by NWAkron

Ugh.  Lots of blame to go around.  Awful possessions after they went up 5 completely changed the game and let the momentum swing back to OU.

Let me say first that I'm not one generally to b!+ch about the refs.  Keith implied in the post-game that the refereeing in the MAC contributes to the MAC never getting an at-large bid.  The refs can't take the best players in the league out of games without it adversely impacting the product under review by the selection committee.  A double tech on kids jawing at each other on the way to the locker room is ridiculous, as is a 38-16 free throw disparity.

All of that being said, the Zips had their chances and should have capitalized.  They also showed a lack of composure at times today.  The realists on here recognized they lose at some point.  Time for the Zips to move onto Ball State and put this one behind them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

Quit settling for threes and drive the damn ball you're in the double bonus

That's the key to the loss tonight.

With around 5 minutes left, game is tied, you're in double bonus, you're having a bad shooting night, Big Dog just came back well rested after a while on the bench. What do you do?  

YOU DON'T TAKE A FREAKIN THREE. 

• Like 1