Zips @ OU - Round #2 --> Feb 4th, noon tip-off

For me, I felt the critical part of the game was when Josh missed the open 3-pointer when we were up 5 points.  With an 8 point lead and Big Dog coming off the bench rested in a couple of minutes, I felt like we wouldn't have lost.  We did a heck of a job battling without him on the floor. 

With that said, someone should be livid about taking a team's best player and fouling him out by making his 3rd and 5th fouls a technical for jawing with opponents, and Keith has already said that he didn't swear.  And on his 4th foul, the officials said he was moving setting a screen, and it was actually Kwan setting the screen for him and he was just running past the screen and someone flopped.  

The biggest travesty is that you don't call a Double Technical after the Halftime buzzer when one player is the best player in the league, and the other is a bench stiff.  You can't do that and say that you are penalizing both teams. Period.  

The MAC will continue to wonder why they can't get more teams in the tournament, yet they will allow games like this, just like our NIU road game unexpectedly stopped our momentum last year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

3 for 18 FGs and 1 for 10 on 3's is a bad game, especially with Big Dog on the bench. 

I want to give Kwan a break because he's surprisingly shot the ball so well this year.  But his shot selection was pretty poor today.  The fade-away 10-foot jump shots when closely guarded were unnecessary.  I felt like that was more of the 2014-2016 Kwan.  

1 minute ago, Zipsbabie said:

What on earth is your obsession with Utomi? Yes he had a great game against Miami but let's be real it was Miami. Utomi doesn't play well against faster athletic teams. Let it go...

Just a guess, but I think B&G's comment was probably more of a commentary on Aaron Jackson than it was on Daniel Utomi.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I want to give Kwan a break because he's surprisingly shot the ball so well this year.  But his shot selection was pretty poor today.  The fade-away 10-foot jump shots when closely guarded were unnecessary.  I felt like that was more of the 2014-2016 Kwan.  

Plus we also know he wasn't feeling too well yesterday. Even with a poor shooting afternoon he still had a pretty good game.

The refs are so inconsistent.   Kent and EMU had 54 fouls and 4 technicals.  The Central/Western game had a chippy incident and words exchanged but nothing was called.  Ive watched other games this year when the refs just step in and calm things down and avoid the techs.   CMU coach was thrown out once or twice.   Then I wanted Baylor v Kansas and the refs just let them play.  I doubt the MAC players are just so much hot-tempered and foul prone than other conferences.

Keith obviously knew he couldn't say much in the postgame, but he emphatically said that they could have easily let that go and let the players play.  In this case, their desire to "police" the game really hurt one team much more than the other.  

I don't care if they officiate one game closer than the other.  I just want them to officiate equally within the scope of the game that they are officiating on that night.  

Edited by skip-zip

2 hours ago, Bubba4three said:

We lost the best player to the league in injury and we still have the best player in the league.

Bubba.  We drilled you twice last year WITH Campbell.  Unfortunately for you guys, you've fallen further and further behind us as a MAC power over the last few years, ever since your last so-called elite team got a 20 point spanking against us in Cleveland, while we were playing without a point guard.  

If you really think this is a preview of some great matchup in the March title game, Good Luck asking for a repeat of a 5-for-5 long range shooting night from your 25% 3-point shooter, getting 4 of our guys in peril with fouls in the same game, getting 2 Technicals called on Big Dog, Cheatham shooting 3 for 18 from the field,  and getting more than Double our FT attempts.  

:D

• Like 6

Don't sweat the trolls.  At the end of the day, the Zips played their worst game of the season against a team that played their best game of the season and was benefited by outrageous officiating and they nearly pulled it off.  While we're worried about the Zips losing their chance to be ranked, they're excited that the win may qualify them for the CIT.   

• Like 1

Hey, whatever helps you sleep at night.  Simmons had a great game but the rest of our team played very very average. Also keep in mind that even Simmons' performance was inflated a bit from all the free throws you gave us because your coach and players totally lost their minds.  Oh, and we didn't have the reigning POY...I mean, c'mon!!  I hope we're able to meet again in the MACC...that would be a lot of fun. 

To the comment about slipping further behind Akron in prominence within the MAC, it's true, we've fallen back a bit in the last few years. Successful NCAA tourney runs and subsequent coaching turnover will do that to a program.  I'll take a down season or two in lieu of a sweet sixteen appearance. I think we're on very solid footing now, despite losing the top player in the MAC this year, so you can expect to see us near or on top much more frequently in the years to come. Hopefully you'll be there with us. 

It was definitely when and not IF the guys would drop an away game.   Not rationalizing but better a Noon game on the day before the super bowl than much later in season at Ravenna or Canada.  As for the trolls, what's your win streak at the majestic hallowed Convo?  Akron has a lot of rivals at this point.  But OU has dropped down to 3 or 4 on that list.

Disappointing that we could have won this won.  I know there were some questionable calls on Big Dog but as someone else I think mentioned, we were tied when he entered the game with 4-5 minutes left in the game.  Our first possession we should have went into him at the post and didn't.  We proceeded to miss our next 3 3's without looking inside and OU made a few buckets and that was it.  We had a chance to win, with a tie game and our best players on the floor but it just didn't happen today.  On to Tuesday to continue the second longest home win streak alive (Kansas lost).

9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Akron has a lot of rivals at this point.  But OU has dropped down to 3 or 4 on that list.

Over the last few years I've notice this development as well.  I believe I'd go with 3. But like you said... maybe 4.  OU used to be the #1 team I loved to hate, even more so than Kant, but now they're kinda... meh.  (They're not quite at my Ball State :zzz: level, but I hope they kick their program back up a few notches because the rivalry is not what it used to be.) Considering the officiating on Dog in addition to Kwan being under the weather, I'm not even too disappointed we lost (whereas losses to Kant keep me up at night).  Whatever. Had to happen eventually; we weren't gonna run the table.  At Buffalo, at Kant & even at EMU will be tougher games, if not equally as tough, than the game yesterday - so we'd better be ready.

Edit: P.s. I just read that Simmons had 38 points?!  I watched the game & it didn't feel like that.  Well, now I'm not worried in the least; Big Dog & Kwan were almost completely MIA & Simmons had a career game & it was still competitive... in Athens?!  Noooooo worries. :)

Edited by Blue & Gold

Oh, and it was good to finally see Big Mike back out on the floor, though it looked like he was winded after 20 seconds of action. :lol:

It's gonna take him a while to work his way back into game shape.  If we want to do anything significant this season, including, IMHO, winning the MACC, we're gonna need Big Mike as our #2 big.

Edited by Blue & Gold

41 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Considering the officiating on Dog in addition to Kwan being under the weather, I'm not even too disappointed we lost

At Buffalo, at Kant & even at EMU will be tougher games

I'm actually more disappointed in the loss with the way our big man got hosed with the calls, and 2 of his 5 fouls being technicals.  But at the same time, there were so many circumstances (listed in my post above to Bubba) that won't happen again this year.  That's why, regardless of the loss, I don't consider OU a threat to our title at all.  

But gosh, we can't deny that we lost our greatest opportunity for more national attention since the ranking votes are likely to go away, and we'll have to start over.  That makes it a pretty damaging loss in that respect.  

Yes, those 3 games you mention would have worried me more than yesterday's game.  I expect them all to be tough to win on the road.  Hopefully we learned some things yesterday that will help us in those games.  

Edited by skip-zip

9 hours ago, zippyfan34 said:

On to Tuesday to continue the second longest home win streak alive (Kansas lost).

Damn.  I thought Oregon had the best possible chance they are probably going to have to get a home loss yesterday too.  That would have given us the longest home win streak and a little bit more pub.  But, man, they destroyed the #5 team in the country.  It was pretty impressive to watch.

I thought it was pretty funny that one of our announcers said something just last week along the lines of whether Kansas was ever going to lose at home in the foreseeable future.  A few days later, it happened.  That's college basketball.    

Edited by skip-zip

Beacon: Bobcats snap Zips' 12-game winning streak

“We just had a rough night,” Dambrot said. “Shot selection in the first half wasn’t very good, but we got a lot of open shots in the second half. We just didn’t make them.”

Games like this happen.  Whatcha gonna do.

Simmons led all scorers with 38 points on 10-of-16 shooting. A 29 percent 3-point shooter coming into the game, he was perfect from behind the arc, connecting on 5-of-5.

A fluke.  Again, it happens.  Whatcha gonna do. Oh well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

A 29 percent 3-point shooter coming into the game, he was perfect from behind the arc, connecting on 5-of-5.

A fluke.  

There were a lot of unusual circumstances in this game, like I mentioned, but this one was surely one of the most puzzling. 

I wonder what the statistical chances are of a bad 3-point shooter being perfect in a game like this?  Especially when you consider that he was carrying the load for his team all day, and had to be exhausted.