Comprehensive New Players Listing - 2017

Dr Z

Coach Bowden mentioned that the 2017 class will have as many as 29 new players on the team. I would like to keep a list. CK and I will update (add and subtract) as information becomes available. We'll try to be as accurate as we can. Bold Blue is a confirmed commitment w/scholarship. Feel free to help. 

01. Eric Bentley   DL — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

02. Kobie Booker TE — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

03. DeAndre Brimage DL — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

04. Dustin Burkhart WR — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

05. Hunter Corne OL — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

06. Reggie Corner S — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

07. Zaire Jacobs DB — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

08. Nick Johns  QB — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

09. Jeffrey Lubin DB — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

10. Alex Ramart QB — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

11. Jordyn Riley DB — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

12. Jemarulin Suggs RB — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

13. Malik Wooldridge WR — Signed national letter of intent on February 1

14. Darryl Long TE — Transfer from the University of Kentucky (Westerville South HS) - RJr

15. Deltron Sands RB - Transfer from Oregon State (St. Thomas Aquinas HS) - RFr

16. Jamal Davis LB - Transfer from Pitt - Eligible in 2017

17. Darian Dailey CB - Transfer from Rutgers (Manatee HS FL) - Eligible in 2017 - RSo

18. Denzel Butler DB- Transfer from  WV Wesleyan (Fort Lauderdale Coral Springs Charter HS ) - Eligible in 2017 - So

19. James King LB - Transfer from Miami (Booker T. Washington HS) - Eligible in 2017 - So

20. Brandon Mitchell WR - Transfer from Wilmington ( Fox Chapel HS, Pittsburgh, PA) - Eligible in 2017 -RSo

21. Andre Williams WR - Winter Park FL - Signed February 2

22. Bubba Arslanian LB - PWO?

23. Mitch Cooper K - PWO? Possible Track Athlete

24. Justin Sampson DL - St. V. - Status TBD

25. Tracy Jordan DL - Springfield HS - Status TBD

26. Marquise Bridges RB - Ellet - Status TBD

27. Marquise Calloway DB - East HS - working on improving his ACT score to earn a scholarship

28. Marcus Kidd DL - Garfield HS - Status TBD - No Zips info on his twitter acct. 

29. Matthew Hanson DL - Western HS (FL) - TBD

30. Malik Townsend DL - Perry (PA) - TBD - No Zips info on his Twitter acct in February

31. Jerome Cooper DB - Detroit area HS - UA Seal on Twitter site, but no February Zips update

32. Jonah Wieland P - PWO?

33. Nate Stewart WR - Per conversation w/Bowden, he's highly regarded

34. Domonick Holley WR - Akron Alabama East HS - Status TBD 

35. Mark Ellis DB - University of West Virginia Transfer

35. Justin Canei DL - WVa High School Recruit - Twitter account says Zips have offered

Note A maximum of 25 scholarships can be awarded in any given year. The above list contains the names of all "new" student athletes with recent published association to the Zips football team. 

• Like 5

Darian Dailey CB - Transfer from Rutgers (Manatee HS FL) sat out 2016 - eligible now

Denzel Butler DB- Transfer from  WV Wesleyan (Fort Lauderdale Coral Springs Charter HS )-sat out 2016 - eligible now

James King LB - Transfer from Miami (Booker T. Washington HS) - sat out 2016 - eligible now

Brandon Mitchell WR - Transfer from Wilmington ( Fox Chapel HS, Pittsburgh, PA)-  sat out 2016 - eligible now- 

• Like 1

I thought about trying to come up with a list as well, but its just too hard to know what he is talking about. Does he count walk ons? Is he counting players who were here last year, but not eligible? I also do not see the DB transfer from WV listed. Same for Bryce Dixon or Thad Snodgrass, but nobody seems to know about them on here.

Edited by LZIp

38 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I think WVU transfer, Mark Ellis will also count against this class, won't he? Also any update on Thaddeus Snodgrass?

Ellis was a walk on at WV - not sure about here

No indication on  Snodgrass' twitter - so probably not

Bryce Dixon was removed from roster - according to his twitter he  currently lives  in NC - probably gone

Edited by zzx

• 1 month later...

Edit to Marquess Callaway from this article by Michael Beaven.  

"...senior defensive back Marquess Callaway is working on improving his ACT score to earn a scholarship during the summer or fall..."

Callaway had offers from Toledo and Malone, and was generating interest from several schools including, Michigan State, Indiana, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Iowa, Iowa State and Youngstown State.

29 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Edit to Marquess Callaway from this article by Michael Beaven.  

As a former weights guy, "throwing the shot put" grates me so bad.  That 12 pound cannonball is called a shot.  You don't throw it.  You rest it on your shoulder/neck and "put" it forward.

Mini rant over.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Obviously you have to take these things with a grain of salt but some things that stuck out:

I don't see either of our late 2017 commits in Dre Williams or Dylan Meeks.

Still no Brian Bell. Still no Jamal Davis.

The Wilmington WR is gone.

Two of our "touted" freshman DEs are there. No surprise with Sampson, but Hanson is a pleasant surprise as I think I read him qualifying was up in the air.

No Marquise Bridges or Marquess Callaway. I also don't see Zaire Jacobs (the S from St. Thomas Aquinas).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LZIp said:

There appears to be a roster update (along with a new gozips.com look).

http://www.gozips.com/roster.aspx?path=football

It will be interesting to see if Hanson makes his way to the two deep at DE and plays as a true freshman (note he was offered by Iowa State - Cykron?). Also, is the experiment of moving big Andrew Siegman to the DL over as he is back listed as a an Olineman?       

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

Obviously you have to take these things with a grain of salt but some things that stuck out:

Two of our "touted" freshman DEs are there. No surprise with Sampson, but Hanson is a pleasant surprise as I think I read him qualifying was up in the air.

No Marquise Bridges or Marquess Callaway. I also don't see Zaire Jacobs (the S from St. Thomas Aquinas).

I beiieve Hanson and Jacobs are greyshirting, so they won't show up on the 2017 roster.

As always, it is amazing how many players are listed on the first post as having signed or committed, yet never show up. I will never understand why so many players just vanish every year with absolutely no information available. When you only sign 13 players and some of them don't make it, you have serious issues. 

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

---Also missing is DL Eric Bentley

• Like 1